Reverse Kill Switch

junglejoe39

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have the same tractor I just bought a brand new LT2000. Mine has the automatic trans. B4 buying I read all the reviews on the Craftsman site. Several did not like this feature and a few said unplug the yellow wire I believe on the right side

dwint

Threads
on my murray it wouldn't go in reverse unless the key was all the way to the right

PVHIII

Threads
Hey yall, i have a 46 " craftsman gold series 2013 mower i bought from sears, and when i put the mower in reverse, while blades are engaged it kills the mower, is there any way around this feature? because i would really like to be able to use my reverse while mowing!

Disabled mine simply bye cutting a wire under mower by tranny...black tape on both ends of wire and it was ready to mow...but it was my ol Troy built not craftsman

Last edited:

PVHIII

Threads
on my murray it wouldn't go in reverse unless the key was all the way to the right

My wire was yellow also...if not the yellow one..just keep cutting wires till ya find it

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't go cutting wires just move the switch so it does not come in contact with the lever.

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Hey yall, i have a 46 " craftsman gold series 2013 mower i bought from sears, and when i put the mower in reverse, while blades are engaged it kills the mower, is there any way around this feature? because i would really like to be able to use my reverse while mowing!

Assuming you have the MTD built model with the deck height and blade engagement levers next to each other on the right side of the seat...

When you begin to lift the blade lever you'll here a faint clicking; this is a switch that gets pushed in when the blades are OFF. Typically, you can gain access to this switch by removing the battery and looking under the body pan towards the lever area. A flashlight will be helpful.

The switch should be held in place by two 3/16" hex head screws; remove the screws so the switch is loose and do not unplug. Take a penny and hold it in place depressing the plunger and wrap electrical tape over the penny tightly keeping it from moving. Make several passes going all the way around the switch. This method is completely reversible and requires NO wire cutting.

Re-install the switch and mow in reverse all day!

I do this to every model that is made this way by MTD; not being able to mow in reverse is a huge PITA and a time waster. Not to mention the extra wear created by engaging and disengaging the blades over time.

PVHIII

Threads
Assuming you have the MTD built model with the deck height and blade engagement levers next to each other on the right side of the seat...

When you begin to lift the blade lever you'll here a faint clicking; this is a switch that gets pushed in when the blades are OFF. Typically, you can gain access to this switch by removing the battery and looking under the body pan towards the lever area. A flashlight will be helpful.

The switch should be held in place by two 3/16" hex head screws; remove the screws so the switch is loose and do not unplug. Take a penny and hold it in place depressing the plunger and wrap electrical tape over the penny tightly keeping it from moving. Make several passes going all the way around the switch. This method is completely reversible and requires NO wire cutting.

Re-install the switch and mow in reverse all day!

I do this to every model that is made this way by MTD; not being able to mow in reverse is a huge PITA and a time waster. Not to mention the extra wear created by engaging and disengaging the blades over time.

or you can just cut the wire...just as effective and much easier

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't go redneck ing your mower
A cut wire will always give you trouble down the road.

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Don't go moving switches just cut the wire;)

Really?

It will be simple and look like this when you're finished; I did this one tonight and it mounts right back in place.

Cutting wires is hazardous and lazy. :thumbdown:

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 31