Old 1440 won’t crank

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry. Work got in the way.
As of today, new starter and solenoid. If I jump the solenoid the starter will crank the engine.
But, the starter will not engage using the key. If I turn the key the oil light will come on, the headlights work, and the PTO will click on and off.
If I turn the key to the start position the dash light comes on indicating that the brake pedal needs to be depressed. If I depress the pedal the light goes off, but the starter does not engage If I turn the key to the start position.
Could the switch be the culprit? Should I try jumping the leads from the switch to the battery end of the solenoid?

You absolutely checked the fuse, right? If you can't see a broken link, check it with a meter anyways. Sometimes they break on the sides, and not the middle, where you can't actually see the break. I've spent 4 hours on a mower on day trying to figure out why I was not getting juice to the starter. Checked the fuse a few times before I finally broke down and checked it with the meter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you even bothered to read and go through the procedure I posted. If you would have, instead of throwing parts at it, all of us would have a better idea of what is going on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So when you bypass the solenoid it cranks & starts.
Well the next thing to check would be the solenoid and you do that by jumping the trigger wires
If that works then you check the trigger wires for 12V on one side & ground on the other.
I will not go through my routine as Rivits has already posted his and as all roads lead to Rome it matters not which method you use.
Otherwise I will give you the phone number of my parts supplier cause I get 10% off the top on all of the unnecessary parts you buy that didn't fix your problem.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Sorry, Rivets....yes.
1.) fuse was fine, but I put a new one in anyway
2.) power from the battery to the solenoid is as it should be, about 12.5v
3.) there is no power to the small positive lead on the solenoid with brake depressed and key turned to start position
4.) there is no power to the starter side of the solenoid with pedal depressed and key turned to start, likewise the starter itself
5.) seat safety switch was disabled about 20 years ago
6.) old starter would not turn, but I’m going to tear it down to see why
7.) new starter turns and cranked the engine normally when I jumped the main positive leads on the old solenoid

I’m attaching a picture of the solenoid I just installed.
Hey, the old one came with the mower. Preventive maintenance?

Oh, and I cleaned and abraded every electrical contact and surface I could find.

Attachments

• 043C5209-9633-455C-8B26-8BF1CFB7D37F.jpeg
    043C5209-9633-455C-8B26-8BF1CFB7D37F.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 9

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No power to the small terminal on the solenoid means you must backtrack that red wire back to the key switch. Probably goes through three or four safety switches and PTO switch. If you provide the model and serial numbers we might find you a wiring diagram.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You really need to find the proper wiring diagram for your engine and start st the ignition switch and see if you have battery voltage from the S terminal to ground when you turn the key to the start position. If so you need to wotk your way through the start inhibit switches till you find out where you are losing voltage. Most mowers have at least a seat, brake and PTO switches but can be more complicated. If you don't have a wiring diagram at each of those switches you should get battery voltage on 2 of the terminals when you turn the key to the start position. If you don't either switch is in the wrong state or bad switch. This is with the switches connected and back probing the connectors.

Coelacanth64

Threads
O.K., if the ignition switch is in the run position and I flip the PTO switch I can hear the PTO engage and disengage, the seat switch is bypassed. I have not checked the brake switch, but if I depress the pedal the warning light about depressing the pedal in order to start goes off.
is there any easy way to test the ignition switch itself?

Factory number: 142-633-100
Serial number: 0000829137

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
B= battery should be battery voltage.
S =start should connect to B with the key in the start position
Numbers are very small & cast into the back of the switch.

The terminals that engage the PTO clutch are not the same ones that complete the circuit to the starter
So you see we are going full circle back to Rivets original listructions.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Yes, I understand.
Is there something in Rivets original checklist that I didn’t adequately answer?

So, if I connect switch tab B to S, and the key is in the Start position, the starter should spin and the mower should start?

Here is what I have.....AD35E038-5A83-46C2-90F1-FB82D77FF031.jpeg

Last edited: