New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
Kinda abused the mower recently in over-tall grass. It never bogged down, just an odd change in the sound. Flipped it on its side and had to pull mass amounts of grass packed in there - started overlapping more. Curiously, the area I mowed look decent but, probably wasn't packed-up for long.

I did use some Great Stuff to fill-in the 'cells' w'ever on the mulch plug. Now it can't fill up with cuttings.

I'll be interested to hear how long that foam filler lasts, Lucky Texan. I've thought about doing something like that as well.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I'll be interested to hear how long that foam filler lasts, Lucky Texan. I've thought about doing something like that as well.

I'll try to report on that if it looks odd or at the end of the season regardless.

I Just squirted it in (slightly over half the cell's volume), let it cure, trimmed it back flush with a serrated knife.

man that stuff is crazy sticky.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
been mowing some thick sticky grass lately. even partly packed with cuttings, the mower does as good a job as ever. When I clean the mess from under it, cuttings seem to be fairly well 'mulched' too.

Push a button, pull the bail and go. much more pleasant than gas.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
anyone know the cutting height of the different height settings?

MowerMike

Threads
anyone know the cutting height of the different height settings?

Well, according to the manual, the range is from 1-3/8" (3.5cm) to 3-3/8" (8.5cm). Assuming that the increments are the same between settings, that would work out to 1-3/8", 1-7/8", 2-3/8", 2-7/8" and 3-3/8". Although I haven't tried to measure mine, that seems to be pretty accurate.

1932highboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just measured my mower and each movement of the lever moved it 0.5 inch, the above math is correct.

J

Jagstyles

I really wish the height adjustments were the same on the smaller 16" and 19" models. I have a very small front lawn (30 feet by 20 feet) and the 16" model would be perfect for this space. Unfortunately, I think the max cutting height is 2 3/4" if that.

Any other models out there that anyone has come across with similar features and max cutting height?

Thanks

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
FWIW, my last post was 10-28-13.

Bought a second 20" Twin Blade last November on a trip from WI to MS. Hard to find them in ANY Lowes stores back then. Used this second one for two grass cuttings and, when cleaning bottom side yesterday, noticed a 4-5" long crack in deck underside starting from the perimeter of the left hand motor base and extending upward to center of deck. My phone call to Greenworks seemed to be handled well, especially for a Saturday afternoon. Gave me the number of a local service center (THAT surprised me in our town of 20,000) and said I could bring it there (with proof of purchase) or they would send me a new deck. Not wanting to do all that extra work right now, I'll be bringing it to the service center. My only concern is that I can't find anyone who's ever done business with this outfit and the 2 reviews I found online don't look optimistic as far as their quality of service. We'll keep you posted on the outcome of this warranty service. Date of manufacture is 12/2012 -- 5 months earlier than the mower I bought three months before!

On my #1 Twin Blade (manufactured 5/2013), I noticed a thumb sized part of the deck that had broken nearly off on the rear, lower edge of the deck underside. You'll notice this area has some thinner construction than much of the rest of the edge perimeter. I'm going to try to rivet on some strap metal backing to brace this piece so that it stays on and doesn't break off completely. It likely caught one of our protruding roots when wifey was mowing last year. I can't see the blades generating enough force to through a rock through the area hard enough to break that piece the way it's situated.

Still not thrilled with the battery life but with two chargers now, and the 4 batteries that come with 2 mowers, I think we'll be OK. All 4 batteries fully charged were not enough to mow our 1/3 acre a few weeks ago but some of the grass was pretty tall and required the higher speed engine function when mowing. Next time I'll start with the smaller batteries, put them on the chargers as soon as they're discharged, and see if they'll be charged up enough to finish off the whole job without having to split the lawn mowing into two days. The gas mower (22") would usually allow us to mow the entire lawn in 90+ minutes. We've got 2 ditches, lots of trees/stumps/flower beds, etc., to mow around. Most of the area has a 50/50 forbs/grass coverage. (Some would call that weeds/grass!). Lots of shaded areas makes the lawn fairly thin in about 30% of the yard.

Back to work ....

OK, silly me .... as I was unloading our #2 Twin Blade at the repair shop, one of the servicemen was walking by and asked what was wrong with it. I showed him the crack (see above) and, about as he was starting to say it, I realized the 4-inch "crack" in the the mower deck was nothing more than a mold seam from the original manufacturing process. Man, there must have been some pretty low light by the time I cleaned that out and "noticed" that it was supposedly cracked.

Still haven't gotten around to fixing the torn/broken piece on the #1 mower but have collected a bit more data on the 4 batteries we have ...

We've been getting 13-17 minutes (ave=15) on each of the 73wH batteries and 28-35 (ave=33) minutes on the 146 wH's. Still not enough to get our whole lawn done, even when we start with the small ones and slap them into the chargers (after some cool down) while continuing to mow with the larger ones. I'd say if we had one more charger, we'd get the entire 1/3 acre done. (See above for lawn description.) Charging rate is fast enough on the small ones that one is charged and ready to go in 50+ minutes. The 146 wH's take around 65+ minutes to charge. Haven't noticed any difference in the batteries we used for 2 - 3 mowings last year versus the ones we just started using this year.

Anyone got a used, working charger they don't need?

gfp55

Threads
My neighbor had his hip replaced and asked me to cut his grass while he heals. He has a greenworks 20" mower for trimming around shrubs, trees, house&deck, etc. Then use the garden tractor to cut the rest. I had never used one so I had to read the manual. Once I got the hang of it I was impressed. It starts fast then the blades slow down until it gets into taller grass and it speeds up until you get through the tall grass and slows down again. It was nice and light to push. It did a very good job, better them a thought it would. I first thought the batteries would run down before I finished, but it still had power when I finished trimming around 12-14 trees, around the house and deck, around the culvert etc. I cut more to see if I could run the batteries down. I got tired trying to run down the batteries. I was very impressed with it. I don't know if I would use it to cut a whole yard. It just might cut a good size yard, not to tall of grass but if you didn't let the grass get too tall it just might. I can't wait to use it again. I changed my mind about battery powered mowers thats for sure.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
My neighbor had his hip replaced and asked me to cut his grass while he heals. He has a greenworks 20" mower for trimming around shrubs, trees, house&deck, etc. Then use the garden tractor to cut the rest. I had never used one so I had to read the manual. Once I got the hang of it I was impressed. It starts fast then the blades slow down until it gets into taller grass and it speeds up until you get through the tall grass and slows down again. It was nice and light to push. It did a very good job, better them a thought it would. I first thought the batteries would run down before I finished, but it still had power when I finished trimming around 12-14 trees, around the house and deck, around the culvert etc. I cut more to see if I could run the batteries down. I got tired trying to run down the batteries. I was very impressed with it. I don't know if I would use it to cut a whole yard. It just might cut a good size yard, not to tall of grass but if you didn't let the grass get too tall it just might. I can't wait to use it again. I changed my mind about battery powered mowers thats for sure.

My overall experience is similar. It's an 'adequate' replacement for my gasser. It isn't the Millenium falcon of mowers, just OK. It seems to leave 1 or 2 more 'stragglers', but, it might be mulching slightly better. The reduction in noise, weight, smell and hassle is great. I'm lucky in that my yard isn't huge - plus, my backyard grows at a different rate from my front yard such that I never really need all the battery power at once. When heavy growth season is here, the backyard requires a little more than one large battery to mow. The front yard never needs an entire charge of one large batt. So, I think I COULD mow them both on the same day - I just rarely need to.