New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
I really wish the height adjustments were the same on the smaller 16" and 19" models. I have a very small front lawn (30 feet by 20 feet) and the 16" model would be perfect for this space. Unfortunately, I think the max cutting height is 2 3/4" if that.

Any other models out there that anyone has come across with similar features and max cutting height?

Thanks

could one of those mowers be fitted with larger wheels? You'd want to confirm there's no interference of course.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
OH - thanx guys fro those measurement on the height!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
all my 40V max GW stuff is still working well. I don't sense any degradation in the batteries.

I still notice a few extra 'stragglers' standing in the St. Augustine after i mow, but my old gas mower would leave a few too - just seems like it's 2-3 extra.

have sharpened the little blades many times but they are still original. despite hitting cypress knees, sticks and other debris on occasion, nothing seems bent or broken.

no real issue with the foam-filling in the mulch plug. That area still collects some trimmings, but they can't fill the 'waffles' inside the plug.

of the equipment I have, the string trimmer seems most likely to die first but, it's hanging in there!

just fyi

MowerMike

Threads
Thanks for the update. Similar experience here with two 4Ah and one 2Ah batteries. The 20" mower, blower / vac and 16" chainsaw are all in good working condition, although I've only used the chainsaw once so I can't comment on its durability. My only complaint with the mower is that its maximum cutting height of 3-3/8" is not quite high enough for the St. Augustine in summer.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
after using setting 3 once or twice at the beginning of the season, I'm at notch 4 right now.

However, I may try 5 soon - lots of growth this year - due to rain as well as some fertilizer i used? (I don't use a lot of fertilizer or other treatments, every 2-3 years i may put some milorganite, wait 2-3 years then some ironite ,wait 2-3 years, then some epsom salts down. That is, there are some years I don't use anything. I 'may' use milorganite more often though, it seems to be doing great!)

I don't obsess over my lawn, just try to maintain it to neighborhood expectations.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
MowerMike;210961My only complaint with the mower is that its maximum cutting height of 3-3/8" is not quite high enough for the St. Augustine in summer.[/QUOTE said:
it does look like there's clearance for larger wheels - not sure if it's worth the hassle/expense, but it's an option.

MowerMike

Threads
it does look like there's clearance for larger wheels - not sure if it's worth the hassle/expense, but it's an option.

It looks to me like it is pretty tight for the front left wheel. There is a housing mounting screw that is very close to the inside rear of that wheel.

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
My last post (#178) was a full year ago. Time for updates.... Remember, I own two of these mowers. The second TwinForce I bought (2 months after the first) actually had an earlier manufacture date. Turns out one of Greenworks' earliest version of these mowers (my 12/12 mfr date) had a flaw that I read about after this happened to me. Due some cheap design, if you push the "starter key" down onto the plug prongs where it belongs enough times it will eventually push down that whole "pocket" -- plug and connecting prongs -- right into the mower case. If you're smart when this happens, DON'T pull it out! Just leave it there, connected. Once you pull it out (like, to see what happened) there is no backing support to hold those prongs up so that you can plug the "key" back in. Of course, you can just wire those two prongs together to serve the same purpose as the plug but I figured, since this was under warranty, I'd get it fixed.

Long story short, "they don't make that part (?) anymore." My choice was to pass along some paperwork the authorized repair shop had to complete and either 1) get my money back or 2) get a new mower. I wanted a new mower since I desperately needed the second charger and two additional batteries to get my yard mowed in one afternoon. After the mowing season up here I went to the local Lowes last fall, dropped off the defective mower and brought home the newer version of that TwinForce. Alas, as I think has been discussed on this thread, the batteries and charger were NOT compatible anymore with the earlier version of Greenworks 40V TwinForce. They LOOK very similar but prongs and slots do not line up for interchanging. Headed back for the half hour drive to return the new replacement and got my money back. Found a relatively decent priced deal on the same model last December and ordered it online from Target, of all places.

Don't know if anyone on this site has done any comparing between these original Greenworks TwinForce models and the newer Cobalt(?) Greenworks models that Lowes is now (was?) selllng but I rather liked some of the slight changes i observed for the week I "owned" the replacement from Lowes. At this time I simply can't recall what those details were. Our newest (Target) replacement pretty much just sits in our basement while we use its charger and batteries for running the original one. It's also nice to have the second set of blades so that we can get the others sharpened at our leisure instead of between mowings.

We're still getting similar run and battery charge times as those I posted earlier in the thread. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

[ALMOST FORGOT .... I just noticed that, on page 25 of EACH of these Owners Manuals, the written description -- and the arrow in the diagram -- show the WRONG direction to turn each bolt in order to remove each of the cutting blades. On the back of each manual it lists the revision date as being 11-15-12. Hopefully, someone fixed that in subsequent editions. The correct direction to turn would be the opposite of what is indicated. Forgive me if that has already been stated in this thread.]

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
mower and batteries still OK so far this season - I will say, I do have a cut/split on the side of the deck of the mower - not sure how I did that. But it doesn't interfere with anything - I may put some tape on it or patch it with some gorilla glue and thin plastic of some type... maybe from a cat litter bucket or ???? Still running the original blades but I may order a new set this year.

0 issues with the batteries. I THOUGHT there was a problem with the charger - but "rebooting" it with an un-plug/re-plug maneuver fixed it.

the other 40v tools are also still working. The string trimmer may need going over with the Torx tool - feels like it may be loosening up slightly.

lawnmowingdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am really loving the new Greenworks 20" twin blade mower. I would definitely want to use it in my lawn. But I am a little bit confused to see a twin blade in a 20" mower.