New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
My TF has been 'mohawking' lately. I thought my wife was maybe rushing it through, or the 'mulch plug' was drooping, or there was an issue with taller bermuda....I tried it and it is definitely the mower. Looked underneath and more sections of the plastic deck have broken/worn away. I have decided to retire it. I am gonna get a 17" for my wife to use. It is also plastic-decked and lightweight. perhaps more maneuverable - not sure if it has a brushless motor????

Mike, if I get a chance, I may pull some parts out of the mower. problem is, we are in the middle of major remodeling and 90% of my stuff (including tools) is packed away. If you're interested in the control board or other parts, maybe they would be available for cost of shipping. Might not get them to you in time for this summer's season......

MowerMike

Threads
My TF has been 'mohawking' lately. I thought my wife was maybe rushing it through, or the 'mulch plug' was drooping, or there was an issue with taller bermuda....I tried it and it is definitely the mower. Looked underneath and more sections of the plastic deck have broken/worn away. I have decided to retire it. I am gonna get a 17" for my wife to use. It is also plastic-decked and lightweight. perhaps more maneuverable - not sure if it has a brushless motor????

Mike, if I get a chance, I may pull some parts out of the mower. problem is, we are in the middle of major remodeling and 90% of my stuff (including tools) is packed away. If you're interested in the control board or other parts, maybe they would be available for cost of shipping. Might not get them to you in time for this summer's season......

Sorry to hear that your Twin Force is falling apart, but I'd definitely recommend that you do NOT buy the 17" model. It is positively awful in so many ways. The height adjustment system is a nightmare, very difficult to use and it's maximum adjustment height is only 3-1/8", which is 1/4" less than the twin force. Yes, I know that Greenworks claims the the maximum cutting height is 3-3/8", but they are incorrect. And no, it does not have a brushless motor. Mine is very poor quality and flimsy. The front left wheel was bent inwards almost hitting the deck, and I had to completely remove the front axle to bend it back in my bench vise. There was a bad vibration that I could even feel in the handlebar and it is almost as loud as a gas mower. I haven't even used mine for several years, and am seriously thinking about just throwing it away to free up garage space.

Frankly, the quality of the newer Greenworks plastic deck mowers is much lower than the original models. You might be better off buying the older 16" model, which is still available although not as tool only.

As to my twin force, I really don't use it any more, favoring my 60 volt 21" Greenworks push mower, which cuts much better than the twin force with it's heavy duty blade and faster blade tip speed. I just bought a new Greenworks 60 volt 8 Ah battery that can easily mow my entire yard with the mower running 100% of the time in turbo mode. I use my old first generation Greenworks 40 volt 16" mower to vacuum leaves in the fall and winter, and use the little 13" WORX to mow in landscaped areas that are inaccessible to my larger mowers. This spring I discarded two old 24 volt SLA battery mowers and gave a third small one to neighbor for his 4-1/2 year old son to help daddy mow the lawn. So, thanks for the offer on the parts from your Twin Force, but I really don't have any need for them.

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Hm, thanx, was JUST barely able to cancel the order from Amazon, good price too.

What is the lightest weight steel deck in GW 40V ? Got any experience with the 60V poly-deck 17" mower? I have the 60V system for the edger.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Hm, thanx, was JUST barely able to cancel the order from Amazon, good price too.

What is the lightest weight steel deck in GW 40V ? Got any experience with the 60V poly-deck 17" mower? I have the 60V system for the edger.
I have the GW 40V 19" steel deck mower with a brushless motor and it weighs 46 lbs, which is 3.5 lbs heavier than the TF. The blade is actually only 17.5" long, so the cutting path is 1.5" less than the TF. Disadvantages of this model is that only the top portion of the handlebar folds flat, so it takes up more space in the garage and the rear wheels are spaced wider apart than the deck, so you can't mow as close to walls, fences etc. The quality, however is top notch and it has a nice single lever height adjustment system. You can buy it right now through Amazon for $250 tool only.

As to the GW 60V 17", it appears to be the exact same POS as the 40V 17" model with just a different motor, and it too is NOT brushless. They even have the same incorrect maximum height adjustment listed; see one of the questions on the greenworkstools website, which I posted to point this out. Unfortunately, Greenworks has polluted their 60V lineup with some cheap crap, which I guess is to attract people looking for inexpensive tools.

Edit - It looks like you can get the GW 40V 19" mower tool only from Walmart for just $174.99.

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
the Pro 60v !7" has some differences in appearance from the 40V 17" - dunno if it matters if they share the same shoddy 'undercarriage'

1627248554306.png

1627248666017.png

MowerMike

Threads
It has the same crappy height adjustment system. There is no lever like on other models. Instead you have to push down on a button which has a very stiff spring, which at the same time lifting the mower to select the height. There is a crude position indicator (see little red post) that is supposed to align with markings to determine the height position, except the label with the markings was put on incorrectly, and the settings don't correspond to the markings. The handle is open mesh at the bottom and I actually cut my hand the first time I grabbed it when trying to lift the mower.

Anyways, I don't recommend it. Why don't you get the 19" mower that I recommended ?

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Just for kicks, looked for a price on TF deck-only part. No longer available.

I'm gonna camecamelcamel a price on the 16" you suggested earlier.

Thanks a lot for your insight.

MowerMike

Threads
I'm gonna camecamelcamel a price on the 16" you suggested earlier.

Again, Walmart has the best price on this mower:

Just FYI, the Walmart listing is incorrect on the cutting height range. Those are the values for the first generation mower, and the second generation G-MAX mower range is 1-1/4" to 3-3/8".

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
found what appears to be a lightly used 16" on ebay. Just over 115$ delivered.Probably last us until we need to hire the yard done lol! no battery, but has a charger (don't really need another charger...)