Mice

CaptFerd

Threads
The only time I had that problem was when I kept seeds for grass and birds in the shed. Cut of the food supply there is something around they are eating.

Massey28617

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have sure seen that before! I take wire screening and make a pocket. Then put a bar of Irish Spring soap in the pouch and tie it securely in the problem area. I have bars under the hoods of all my equipment and vehicles. Since doing this, no more mouse nests….they hate the soap smell! Change the soap bar every couple years to keep it fragrant.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HAve not seen them down here yet
My problem is field mice are very small and thus very light so did not trip any spring loaded trap no matter how far i ground the trigger back to the point they would spring if the front door closed hard.
I found the tip over traps worked a lot better and they get used inside the office
The crusts get threaded onto some very fine cotton so they can be positioned a long way up the counter balance tube thus a 20 gram mouse will trip the trap.
But the shed cat down stairs works a lot better as nothing gets to go upstairs overnight

robertschemenauer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please tell me how you keep mice out of your equipment. This is my Simplicity SS922 . No wonder why it was surging.View attachment 59363
tom-and-jerry-mouse.gif

And if that doesn't work, I would put bait boxes out with poison in them,. The only way to get rid of mice is to kill them and make sure there is minimal junk and clutter around.
I keep a old boom box on 24/7.It only costs power.

catman606

Threads
HAve not seen them down here yet
My problem is field mice are very small and thus very light so did not trip any spring loaded trap no matter how far i ground the trigger back to the point they would spring if the front door closed hard.
I found the tip over traps worked a lot better and they get used inside the office
The crusts get threaded onto some very fine cotton so they can be positioned a long way up the counter balance tube thus a 20 gram mouse will trip the trap.
But the shed cat down stairs works a lot better as nothing gets to go upstairs overnight
Bert, as many snakes as you guys have, I didn't figure mice would be a problem.

DABS

Threads
First, understand that mice do not have bladders. They secrete tiny droplets as they walk. They use their noses to lead them through their routes thus limiting any need for sight in dark walls etc. They rely heavily on their sense of smell. Anything with a heavy aroma to confuse their ability to smell will scare them off. Dryer sheets, mothballs etc all work well. Baby powder is awesome because it smells good and easily invades. The nostrils.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, as many snakes as you guys have, I didn't figure mice would be a problem.
I am assuming you are making a joke , in which case I had a chuckle
Snakes eat at best 1 mouse a day for week then find some where warm to lie & digest them for 3 or 4 days but most will take a single mouse then go off for 2 days to digest it because while they are digesting they are vunerable to preditors .
A single mouse can have a litter of 15 pups every 21 days and those mice will start breeding in 14 days .
Because of the bushfires the previous year, last season there was a mouse plague in the wheat belt and this year numbers are already building up.
My state lost 30% of it's wheat crop last year to mice .
Birds would take more mice in a season than snakes.
A breeding pair of eagles with the std 3 chicks in a nest will happily go through 30 mice a day .
And this is the big problem for farmers because baiting mice ends up killing the birds so a second plague happens almost the instant the first one ends .
Then once you have killed 200,000,000 mice what do you do with them ?
There was some news footage to make the city livers aware of the magnitude of the problem showing a line of B double tip trucks qued at a fertalizer plant all full of mice from a single wheat silo.
This year there is plenty of water so the farmers will most likely burn the mice alive by laying napalm around 30' wide around an entire field then setting fire to it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert I don't think he understands that the Assuies have plagues of mice among other animal plagues. Of course everything seems to be out to kill you too. I remember when NormK was having the possum problems. They are cute but can drive you crazy. They are nothing like the American Opossum which is a killing machine.

And what to do with the mice, have you tried exporting them to China and the Far East countries. I know that impossible to do; oh well it was a thought.

Mattmotors

Threads
Snakes... I work on outboard motors as a hobby. One of my motors had evidence of mice under the cowling. And a snake skin shed.