Mice

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a funny idea that kangaroos hop down George St ( main street in Sydney ) and you can not put a food down outdoors without treading on a snake .
Our average snake bite rate is around 500 ( out of 35,000,000 population + ~ 10,000,000 tourists & guest workers )
From that 2 a year are generally fatal
Over 90% of snake bites are on the right forearm of men and were the results of the (He) man deciding to kill the snake with a shovel & missing .
Snakes are cowards , we are way too big for them to eat , even babies , so they see us as potentially eating them ( black fellas do eat them & they are good tucker ) .
The big loosers with snakes are dogs because even a well trained one will not leave a snake alone so that ends up being a contest as to which one is faster .
Because dogs have a lot less body weight than people they usually die regardless of weather they get immediate medical attention or not
For cats it is always fatal .
The USA apparently has around 10 snake bite deaths annually and is about 10 times our population so you have roughly twice the chance of a fatal snake bite down here as you have at home
OTOH we have around 2000 road deaths a year , about 15 tourist die of thirst in the desert ( mostly Europeans ) , prior to Covid Crockadiles knocked off around 3 people a year, mostly US & German tourists .
Poker machines ( slot machines to some ) account for more deaths than all the wildlife added together .

Homeuser66

Threads
I've put moth balls all around my shed and some on the lawnmower. I also put those green poison bait boxes out. Haven't had an issue in a few years.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then more power to us lefties...LOL. I know it a right handed world. But lefties are the only ones in their right mind if the doctors and scientists have it right.

And boy I hate right handed only things. I need a pair oven mitts with silicone pads, Do they make for both hands? No just the right one or at least that all I have found so far.

It is humans that are humans worst enemy. And many are kill over senseless things too. For some even a brain transplant won't help.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Rodents don't want to nest near snakes. A snake may be sated with a single adult as mentioned by bert, but could gulp down most or all the pinkies or fuzzies in a nest.

I went to a herpetological meeting where a physician from a rural county spoke. He had treated 8 people bitten by snakes (western diamond back rattlers) in several decades of practice. 2 of them were envenomed.(one of those had anaphylactic shock from the antivenin, it is made from horse serum and the Doc speculated the patient had probably encountered horse meat in the past - maybe in a cheap tamale! hah) Snakes can 'dry bite' as they need their venom for feeding or, venom is depleted from recent feeding. But, they certainly can envenom. . You are 'most' likely to get the venom when they mistake your foot or hand for prey. Like reaching around a log or even walking along an animal path. Other times, when actually threatened, they may bite without envenomation to frighten an attacker away. Rattlers and maybe some other pit vipers, actually bite, release, then track their prey. Eating them after they collapse.

And being successfully treated for a bite .all is not necessarily good, a guy in the audience had been bitten and treated, but had to walk with a cane now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A radio interview mentioned that the last 3 fatal black snake bikes were all from people cleaning their drains
Black snakes eat mainly other snakes, reptiles & amphibians so the often sit in drains waiting for dinner to pass by .
Very few of the common "pests" are actually pests once you understand them so you can then either live with them or discourage them .
Erradication is never a solution because more of the same will come & take their place or what ever they ate will then multiply to plague proportions .
The only exception is introduced species but even then, if they have naturalised to that local environment then removing them will have consequences

enigma-2

Threads
There is a funny idea that kangaroos hop down George St ( main street in Sydney ) and you can not put a food down outdoors without treading on a snake .
Our average snake bite rate is around 500 ( out of 35,000,000 population + ~ 10,000,000 tourists & guest workers )
Over 90% of snake bites are on the right forearm of men and were the results of the (He) man deciding to kill the snake with a shovel & missing .
Snakes are cowards , we are way too big for them to eat , even babies , so they see us as potentially eating them ( black fellas do eat them & they are good tucker ) .
The big loosers with snakes are dogs because even a well trained one will not leave a snake alone so that ends up being a contest as to which one is faster .
Because dogs have a lot less body weight than people they usually die regardless of weather they get immediate medical attention or not
The USA apparently has around 10 snake bite deaths annually and is about 10 times our population so you have roughly twice the chance of a fatal snake bite down here as you have at home
OTOH we have around 2000 road deaths a year , about 15 tourist die of thirst in the desert ( mostly Europeans ) , prior to Covid Crockadiles knocked off around 3 people a year, mostly US & German tourists .
Poker machines ( slot machines to some ) account for more deaths than all the wildlife added together .
Yup, all good mate, but its the sneaky, kangaroos ya gotta watch out for. Little buggers sneak up on ya and ... pow.

Deadly.

Hey, I seen Crocodile Dundee, three times. I know all about those roos.

Grin

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wallabies around here are fairly tame.
When we are cutting the kikui they will happily stand a few feet away & gorge on the fresh cut grass.
When water is hard to come by they will come down & drink while I am in the yard.
The Eastern Greys are a lot more weary of people so they will vanish the instant you so much as look at them .
MAgpies & currawongs will walk behind or even along side the push mower to feat on the grasshoppers & other insects dislodged by the mowing.
I have even had eagles swoop in front of the mower to take mice hopping out of my way.

nbpt100

Threads
Just curious, How does a Poker machine kill someone? Maybe that is a joke that is over my head?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just curious, How does a Poker machine kill someone? Maybe that is a joke that is over my head?
No that is dead serious
Poker machines are designed to be addictive
People stand in front of them all day and gamble away every thing they own, their family owns & their company owns
Then they commit suicide rather than face the consequences of their addiction .
We skirt around it because if a suicide verdict is concluded then any life insurance they have not cashed in to gamble with would be null & void.
Now the numbers can not be verified by me but the anti-pokie lobby touts around 300 "accidential deaths " of heavily indebted pokie addicts a year .
The most common death is to run into a power pole or have a head on with a truck on the way home from the gambeling den.
Because of the fiscal imbalance down here between the feds who get most of the taxes & the states who bear most of the costs , states are always short of money. Poker machines are a State item and the revenue from them is in the order of 2 to 6 % of the annual budget so the States also have an addiction.
Thus unlike the USA every pub & club is full of poker machines .
And I am talking about every one of them so the small country bowing , cricket, soccer, baseball etc club, if they have a clubhouse with a bar in it will have poker machines .
Australia has less than 1% of the worlds population but we have 18% of the worlds poker machines.
Australia is the world leader in making poker machines as well I think we make about 80% of them .

The killer was legislation that allows machines to be linked together within a club and between a group of clubs.
By law every machine has to return 60% to 75% back to the player.
Now before this legislation was passed that meant addicts could only loose 25 % of what they fed into the machines in any one session .
With the linking they can loose 100% of their money and most do because the linked machines only pay the linked jackpot out some thing like once in 75,000,000,000,000 pulls per machine and if you multiply that by up to 10 machines in a few hundred venues, that is a lot of machines that never ever pay out the big win.
Now the return has to happen every financial year so usually some time around late June ( our FY is July to June ) the newspapers will run a story about some poor person getting a jackpot of anything up to $ 50,000,000 from a poker machine ,
I stopped going to my local football club back in 1990 when they massively expanded the gambleing.
The poker machines take up 30% of the floor space .
Then there is Keno ( a sort of bingo ) that is played everywhere in the club apart from the toilets .
The gambleing became so oppressive you could not avoid it .
They sold off all of the services so the food services are all independent businesses and the prices are on par with the local resterants so I no longer go there .

nbpt100

Threads
No that is dead serious
Poker machines are designed to be addictive
People stand in front of them all day and gamble away every thing they own, their family owns & their company owns
Then they commit suicide rather than face the consequences of their addiction .
We skirt around it because if a suicide verdict is concluded then any life insurance they have not cashed in to gamble with would be null & void.
Now the numbers can not be verified by me but the anti-pokie lobby touts around 300 "accidential deaths " of heavily indebted pokie addicts a year .
The most common death is to run into a power pole or have a head on with a truck on the way home from the gambeling den.
Because of the fiscal imbalance down here between the feds who get most of the taxes & the states who bear most of the costs , states are always short of money. Poker machines are a State item and the revenue from them is in the order of 2 to 6 % of the annual budget so the States also have an addiction.
Thus unlike the USA every pub & club is full of poker machines .
And I am talking about every one of them so the small country bowing , cricket, soccer, baseball etc club, if they have a clubhouse with a bar in it will have poker machines .
Australia has less than 1% of the worlds population but we have 18% of the worlds poker machines.
Australia is the world leader in making poker machines as well I think we make about 80% of them .

The killer was legislation that allows machines to be linked together within a club and between a group of clubs.
By law every machine has to return 60% to 75% back to the player.
Now before this legislation was passed that meant addicts could only loose 25 % of what they fed into the machines in any one session .
With the linking they can loose 100% of their money and most do because the linked machines only pay the linked jackpot out some thing like once in 75,000,000,000,000 pulls per machine and if you multiply that by up to 10 machines in a few hundred venues, that is a lot of machines that never ever pay out the big win.
Now the return has to happen every financial year so usually some time around late June ( our FY is July to June ) the newspapers will run a story about some poor person getting a jackpot of anything up to $ 50,000,000 from a poker machine ,
I stopped going to my local football club back in 1990 when they massively expanded the gambleing.
The poker machines take up 30% of the floor space .
Then there is Keno ( a sort of bingo ) that is played everywhere in the club apart from the toilets .
The gambleing became so oppressive you could not avoid it .
They sold off all of the services so the food services are all independent businesses and the prices are on par with the local resterants so I no longer go there .
That was eye opening. I wish all the best with a sensible solution. In the States gun dealths are a much more serious problem.