Mice

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
The main problem with mice is they chew through wires, creating huge problems. There are ways to keep mice from your equipment, but I don't differentiate between which places I prefer over others. Best to use bait. Look for one containing (in my preference order) brodifacoum, difethialone, or bromadiolone. Otherwise set traps, either snap or glue traps.

Yep, a lot of companies tried to use soy-based plastic insulation on wires starting in the late 90s I think. Another reason cars/equipment can be attractive to rodents. And, I think most rodent teeth are constantly growing so, they like to chew on stuff. Around here, they will chew through lead vent pipe jacks on your roof even.

EatPreyMow

Threads

Puppydog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try setting a cup of ammonia on it. Had a rat in my shed where I store lawnmowers. Put 2 cups of ammonia in shed with some sticky pads. Have not seen it since.

gamma_ray

Threads
Hands down the easiest way to rid of on your property is a 5 gallon bucket with a flip trap lid, little peanut butter and couple inches of water. No poison needed. Simple google will find these available. I make my own with old campain signs, no more mices... this works better than a cat...Cheers, r

BTW, this also works good for Chipmunks, the little hole digging suckers I have grew very tired..

You can also string an empty can (soft drink, beer) across the top of the bucket (couple of inches water in the bucket of course) and put the PB bait on that. They try to tight-rope walk out to the bait, but go diving instead.

I worked on a North Dakota drillsite a few years back where, in the summertime, there are so many mice around the rattlesnakes can't keep up. The Company rep. used this trap and caught many mice.

TrentonJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had this problem. They make nasty nests and chew wires. My equipment is also accessible by wild varmints (racoon, possum, etc.) and neighborhood pets, so I have to be careful about putting out traps and poison. I devised my own safe poison feeder. I bought 3 in. x 2 ft. foamcore pvc pipe and two 3 to 1-1/2 in. reducers for each end of each pipe. I pack the pipe with poison bait and friction fit the reducers on each end. Then place the reducers in the middle cell of cinder block at each end to prevent the varmints from rolling it around and reaching in for the bait. The width of the blocks also prevents their reaching in. You might have to also place heavy rocks on the blocks as raccoon are strong. I used foamcore pvc because it is cheap. At the time I found 2-ft. lengths at Home Depot, but checking right now I can't find other than 10 ft. length. The product codes at Home Depot for the pipe are:
Internet #100173538
Model #53723
Store SKU #295096
Store SO SKU #136293
You likely can find it at other stores.
Keep a check on your feeder and replenish as needed.

I've read that rodents hate the odor of mint, so I bought concentrated mint oil. I put a few drops in a sprayer with water and spray my equipment, but I don't know how well or long that lasts.

rar4228

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please tell me how you keep mice out of your equipment. This is my Simplicity SS922 . No wonder why it was surging.View attachment 59363
I had trouble with mice and I now put moth balls in the engine compartment and where ever their is wires. They chewed on my wiring one time, not had any problems since putting moth balls.

geehaw

Threads
Please don't use poison, the mice ingest it but live long enough to be eaten by larger predators which could be someon's pet or a bird of prey:
Report says eagle died of lead poison. Is there lead in mouse poison?

maxspeed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I learned the hard way about mouse damage. I am in a rural area and mice everywhere. All of my neighbors deal with the same problem. Here is what we learned.
1) **** don't put bait next to or anywhere near your equipment. They will smell it from a long way off . They damage equipment with urine and chewing on wiring and hoses.
2) Use small pieces of Irish spring soap on and around your area that you want to protect.
3) Use the cheapest dryer sheets that you can buy at Walmart and do the same thing.
Of course you will need to replace these at some interval.
I have tractors and a skid steer and drawers full of tools that they have almost ruined.
Moth balls don't really work!