Make or break features on a zero-turn?

GrumpyCat

Threads
To the above I would add:

1) Quality of spindles.

Might fixate on fabricated decks but spindles are common replacement items.

Some box store brands use blades with oddball mounting limiting selection to OE only.

Lawn Addict
Threads
A relative has a Hustler Raptor w/ Flip up deck. For easy under deck access, he is 82,
I like that feature, but seems Hustler has dropped due to the additional $2k price for that option.

daybris

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
i´ve been working with a john deere ztr and the first i would wisch is a danged draining hole in the seat so i don´t "wet" my self
you have to be careful when driving up on a sidewalk ore over an cement edge so the front wheels don´t loose the air when the tire gets lose so i use 15 psi in the front tires. wich also makes it less comfortable. that actually stinks and makes my back hurt
i also let a shop increase max revolutions a bit wich makes it faster and better cutting.
in sweden we have a lot of moss so we have to be careful when turning so whe don´t make scid marks :)
a hydraulic lifting of the deck would also be nice since i use the machine 8 hours a day lifting the deck at more than say 50 times a day.
our climat is also very unpredictable whit maby 8 degrees celsius so a heated seat would keep me away fom the doctor
regards from sweden

Steve Smith

Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Rear wheel size is important to me. Our ground is not as smooth as some yards and we mow fast so larger rear wheels, and front wheels for that matter, make mowing more comfortable. We need a rugged mower that can take some abuse. The frame and suspension on our current mower has broken at least 4 times. I have gotten it beefed up to the point that it is holding for now, but when I replace it, I will look for something beefier.

poncho144

Threads
A relative has a Hustler Raptor w/ Flip up deck. For easy under deck access, he is 82,
I like that feature, but seems Hustler has dropped due to the additional $2k price for that option.
I gotta ck dat out....

88bradb

Threads

I use my SCAG Tiger Cub for my yard only. My main thing that I insisted on is getting a cermercial unit. That way it would be built heavy enough to take some hard knocks and last a long time. My SCAG is 21years old now and still going strong.

GearHead36

Threads
Years ago, I wanted a Husqvarna Articulated Rider. One of the reasons I wanted one is the flip up deck, and the ability to mow under bushes. I'm kinda bummed that they're not longer available. I'd still get one if I ever come across one.