Make or break features on a zero-turn?

GearHead36

Threads
JMHO< if you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts all the time, you need to be looking at a different design machine to do your cutting needs...
If you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts ALL the time... I would agree. I feel I need it about 10% of the time. The bank next to the road is part of that 10%, and I can't just let that go.

Natan Ruman

Forum Newbie
Threads
JMHO< if you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts all the time, you need to be looking at a different design machine to do your cutting needs...
Fair point. Saying it should be up all the time was exaggerating. But, still think it should be available on most units. Experienced guys can do without them, but there's a lot of newbies out there who'll get overconfident and their bound to mess something up. The safety features are for them

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fair point. Saying it should be up all the time was exaggerating. But, still think it should be available on most units. Experienced guys can do without them, but there's a lot of newbies out there who'll get overconfident and their bound to mess something up. The safety features are for them
Experienced guys either fold them down or remove them before using the mower. The newbies are the ones that unload their new mower off the trailer and proceed to drive across the yard hooking the first tree branch they try to go under and either break the branch off and get hit in the head with it, or stand the mower on end or flip it over backwards.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Everyone in this thread is focused on the ROPS, when the real question is what features and qualities do you look for in a zero turn? The zero turn market has been very competitive for the last ten years. There are several closely competitive brands of mowers on the market. My buying criteria has been listed, so wondering what others feel is important.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A well designed deck.
A deck that gives a good cut and discharges grass well. A deck that is simple to level. A deck that is has easy access to the belts.

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was just meant as a joke.. But I do keep a small water bottle on board, just in case ya catch a mouthful of dust or whatever, a quick swig of water will be welcome..

MowDawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Howdy! Joe here from Lawnmower Man Lawn Service. Seems like not all that much attention is given to operator comfort on ZTR machines, or even smaller lawn/garden tractors. I suppose that's ok if you are Iron Man. I have been a semi-truck driver for many years in the past, and learned the value of a good driver's seat. Air is great, but hydraulic works just fine also....but everyone seems to miss the one feature that would take all the back-slapping by the seat out of the ride!...A glide control. For those who do not know what a glide control is on a semi-truck's seat...imagine a fwd/back seat adjust that is dampened both ways. When the short wheelbased machine bounces/bucks, the glide control absorbes that motion without transferring it to the operator. Hence...no back-slapping. No need for lower back pain medicine at night. Would this add extra cost to the end user? Yes...but not that much, and could be offered as an option. What will sell a glide control seat, is a demo. Let the customer ride one with the seat installed and lock it in and then out to feel the difference. Just a suggestion. G'day sir.....

joelorey@gmail.com

beeev

Forum Newbie
Threads
1) How does the mower ride and handle
2) Reliability and longevity
3) Cut quality
4) Cost and features

Note: If you really ever need a roll over protection system, then things have gotten into fluke territory. 1st thing most commercial guys who mow do is either completely remove ROPS bar, or put all the way down. Gets hung up in trees, etc.
All of the above for me plus...
5. Ease of access to service points.
6. Cost of ownership.
7. Parts availability/dealer network and support proximity. I service my own equipment, but IMO, it is still important to have dealer support for warranty or recall issues in a reasonable distance. When someone asks my opinion on which mower they should look at, i ask them what brand is supported the best in their area, especially if they do not do their own service/repair.
8. Overall design and quality of the unit and components.

Last edited: