Make or break features on a zero-turn?

dsgreen3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to be able to release the hydro bypass valves without climbing under the machine when it breaks down in the middle of the yard.
I want to be able to reach under the machine to replace the hydro pump drive belt without jacking up the machine.
LED headlights from the factory. All mowers should have them now as standard, they are cheap now.
I agree with you 100% on your wants. I also want lower overall height easier to get under branches. fabricated deck that sticks out past the wheels enough to cut in next to things easier. A deck mounting system that does not scalp when mowing slopes. Lots of clearance between the front forks in the tires so wet grass does not get stuck between them. Oil drains and filters that are easy to get to, and designed not to drip all over every thing. Easy access to trouble shoot electronics and battery connections. Suspension seat.

Lawn Addict
Threads
A well designed deck.
A deck that gives a good cut and discharges grass well. A deck that is simple to level. A deck that is has easy access to the belts.
Agreed 100%..

MBTRAC

Threads
- Higher Blade Tip speed so assist increased cutting speed & mulching performance
- self jacking/raising cutting deck to aid blade replacement/sharpening
- Ease of maintenance: readily accessible optional cyclonic type raised air filter + engine oil drain hose /filter replacement + hydraulic oil/replacement + deck & Drive belts
- greaseable deck spindles & standard size replaceable bearing on spindles/pivot points
- far greater hydraulic oil reservoir capacity to better enable cooler running of hyd Drive motors
- adequate fuel capacity minimum 6-8hrs operation, larger fuel filler with removable screen & accessbe fuel shut off valve/tap
- spring or optional air suspension seat with adjustable arm rests
- OEM dealer supplied 'gator' type serrated cutting blades
- adjustable cup holders that will retain a range of beverage container sizes without letting them bounce out when mowing
- minimum 2x waterproof & fused 12V accessory plugs (for spray pumps, phone charging, operator cooling fan etc.)
- prewired/ fused for plug in type LED accessory lights
- Robust Grab Handle accessory to assist operator ingress/egress
- make available easily removable water ballast front weights to aid Balanced Front to rear weight distribution (with varying operators & equipment/accessories)
- foldable ROPS to enable extra clearance when required (e.g. Under low trees)

Aquadisiac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy! Joe here from Lawnmower Man Lawn Service. Seems like not all that much attention is given to operator comfort on ZTR machines, or even smaller lawn/garden tractors. I suppose that's ok if you are Iron Man. I have been a semi-truck driver for many years in the past, and learned the value of a good driver's seat. Air is great, but hydraulic works just fine also....but everyone seems to miss the one feature that would take all the back-slapping by the seat out of the ride!...A glide control. For those who do not know what a glide control is on a semi-truck's seat...imagine a fwd/back seat adjust that is dampened both ways. When the short wheelbased machine bounces/bucks, the glide control absorbes that motion without transferring it to the operator. Hence...no back-slapping. No need for lower back pain medicine at night. Would this add extra cost to the end user? Yes...but not that much, and could be offered as an option. What will sell a glide control seat, is a demo. Let the customer ride one with the seat installed and lock it in and then out to feel the difference. Just a suggestion. G'day sir.....

joelorey@gmail.com
I really don't want to get too far off topic for this thread. I also drove Big Trucks for 38 years and I truly loved the Glide Control in the drivers seat! It was the bees' knees, so-to-speak! As good as an Air Ride seat was when they came out!! But both, together sure make it easier on your back! But for this one company I worked for, there were 126 of us drivers and only two of us liked and used the Glide Control on our seats. It was their backs that were hurting, not mine!!
Carry on!!

poncho144

Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Computer control option, when I sit the system energizes, hit start, AC on, proximity warning on, Cab door/window locks Auto/on/off, wheel lock on/off, tire pressure display on, blade RPM on, Radio on, Muffler bypass on/off, Auto diff lock on/off, Mow/Mulch on/off, Lights auto/off/on, Decibel warning on/off, Engine, Trans, Ambiant temp, Fuel, Tire press/inflator, Belt tensioner on/off display, Auto blade sharpener on/off.
Just a few options.....

GrumpyCat

Threads
Fair point. Saying it should be up all the time was exaggerating. But, still think it should be available on most units. Experienced guys can do without them, but there's a lot of newbies out there who'll get overconfident and their bound to mess something up. The safety features are for them
Is my understanding the CPSC rule is ROPS required if 1000 pounds.

Agree, I want ROPS, even on my lighter 42”.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
Significant option on my Country Clipper 42” was the optional front step and handrail. I can not get on/off without.

I have the joystick model.

1BUCKEYE

Threads
Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
BAD BOY MAKES AN ASSIST BAR. I GOT MINE @ TSC. EBAY HAS THEM, NOW. WHAT A REAL BONUS IT IS TO HAVE ONE.

GrumpyCat

Threads
BAD BOY MAKES AN ASSIST BAR. I GOT MINE @ TSC. EBAY HAS THEM, NOW. WHAT A REAL BONUS IT IS TO HAVE ONE.
Have tried one of those at my dealer. Helped but not as good as the Country Clipper. Problem is Country Clipper is having troubles and he had to drop the line.