Make or break features on a zero-turn?

jcworks

Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Engine and transaxles. I have had very good experience with Kawasaki and Kohler engines. I've owned this 23 hp Kawasaki on my current mower (Toro MX 5060) for 11 years. Never had an issue, none. It also has transaxles made by Hydro-Gear. Very good experience on those too. 11 years, no problem. Hydro-Gear will also talk to you, the customer, and their technicians are very knowledgeable. There are other good brands of mowers but I've owned MTDs, John Deere, and Toro. My experience with Toro has been the best so far. Oh, and one other thing. I prefer the welded steel decks far more than the stamped decks, they last forever.

jsrjsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.

jcworks

Threads
Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
I can only vouch for the zero turn Toro I have. Its very easy to get on and off. I'd think the other brands would be too but I can only vouch for Toro. I'm 77 and this is probably the last mower I will own.

jsrjsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can only vouch for the zero turn Toro I have. Its very easy to get on and off. I'd think the other brands would be too but I can only vouch for Toro. I'm 77 and this is probably the last mower I will own.
I have a Toro. I find it difficult to climb on, mostly due to needing something more to grab to help balance.

Lawn Addict
Threads
a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
They make an upright grab bar to bolt on the frame to easier mount & dismount your machine. My cousin is 82 & has put one on his Hustler Flip up deck. Game changer according to him. One could fab up something similar as well.

jviews12

Threads
I want it to work. and work, and work. Parts should not break, or need replacing for 5 years. Parts should be reasonably priced and common, and not needed as it does not break down.

I expect to do good reliable maintenance. I want to be able to LUBRICATE everything that moves, including pulleys and spindles.

I expect factory fuel filter and oil filter showing manufacture gives a crap about machines they make.

OH, NO ELECTRONICS but for coil. no computer, no phone app. none of that crap.

Natan Ruman

Forum Newbie
Threads
All of the above for me plus...
5. Ease of access to service points.
6. Cost of ownership.
7. Parts availability/dealer network and support proximity. I service my own equipment, but IMO, it is still important to have dealer support for warranty or recall issues in a reasonable distance. When someone asks my opinion on which mower they should look at, i ask them what brand is supported the best in their area, especially if they do not do their own service/repair.
8. Overall design and quality of the unit and components.
When you do your own maintenance & servicing, does that usually void your warranty?

ZO6ZOOM

Threads
I want to be able to release the hydro bypass valves without climbing under the machine when it breaks down in the middle of the yard.
I want to be able to reach under the machine to replace the hydro pump drive belt without jacking up the machine.
LED headlights from the factory. All mowers should have them now as standard, they are cheap now.

beeev

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you do your own maintenance & servicing, does that usually void your warranty?
No.
If you didn't service/maintain your equipment it would be cause to void warranties.