Export thread

Make or break features on a zero-turn?

N

Natan Ruman

What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.

G

GearHead36

Last year, I bought a ZTR. My checklist was as follows:

Because I have slopes:
- Steering wheel
- ROPS

Beyond my need to handle slopes, I wanted:
- Fabricated deck
- Serviceable hydros
- Suspension seat
- V-twin engine

I think that the feature that has resulted in the most improvement in comfort while mowing is the suspension seat. I won't have another ZTR without one.

N

Natan Ruman

Last year, I bought a ZTR. My checklist was as follows:

Because I have slopes:
- Steering wheel
- ROPS

Beyond my need to handle slopes, I wanted:
- Fabricated deck
- Serviceable hydros
- Suspension seat
- V-twin engine

I think that the feature that has resulted in the most improvement in comfort while mowing is the suspension seat. I won't have another ZTR without one.
ROPS 100% - have heard too many horror stories. ROPS up, seatbelt on at all times.
The steering wheel is a good one. Haven't looked too deeply into them, but will let our engineers know.

R

RayMcD

ROPS 100% - have heard too many horror stories. ROPS up, seatbelt on at all times.
The steering wheel is a good one. Haven't looked too deeply into them, but will let our engineers know.
JMHO< if you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts all the time, you need to be looking at a different design machine to do your cutting needs...

M

MParr

Easy access to the rear of the engine. It’s a pain in the rear to remove the rear end of the mower just to adjust the carburetor or adjust the valves.

I

ILENGINE

Easy access to the rear of the engine. It’s a pain in the rear to remove the rear end of the mower just to adjust the carburetor or adjust the valves.
Or in some cases even change the spark plugs.

M

MParr

Or in some cases even change the spark plugs.
Those 65 degree Yamaha V-Twins on Gravely were a nightmare to change plugs. Possibly the worst engine ever made.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

What are some of the biggest things to you when choosing a zero-turn? Other than deck size. What do you have to have, wish your mower had, or wish a ZTR would have?

Full transparency, I help an OPE manufacturer get user feedback and send it to our R&D team to make the best zero-turn we can, for real people.
1) How does the mower ride and handle
2) Reliability and longevity
3) Cut quality
4) Cost and features

Note: If you really ever need a roll over protection system, then things have gotten into fluke territory. 1st thing most commercial guys who mow do is either completely remove ROPS bar, or put all the way down. Gets hung up in trees, etc.

M

MParr

I for one am not thrilled with the so-called smart key pad starting systems. There is a need for some sort of monitoring system for the EFI engines. For the carbureted engines, the key is all that’s needed.
Keep regularly scheduled maintenance as simple as possible for the end user.

M

Missouri

I have two ZTRs, a Grasshopper 924D and a Husqvarna MZT-61. The GH has a front deck and as a result, has a long wheelbase with a much better ride than the H, which beats me to death on my rough acreage. On the other hand, inexplicably the gas H is much more powerful than the GH and can more easily cut tall grass, which is suprising to me given that the GH is a higher hp diesel than the gas H. Yes, of course the GH has a 72" deck vs. the H's 61" deck. Also, the H runs faster than the GH, but uses more fuel than the GH. All that said, I prefer the much higher dollar GH. All that said, comfort/ride reigns.

G

GearHead36

JMHO< if you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts all the time, you need to be looking at a different design machine to do your cutting needs...
If you feel like you need ROPS and seat belts ALL the time... I would agree. I feel I need it about 10% of the time. The bank next to the road is part of that 10%, and I can't just let that go.

N

Natan Ruman

Fair point. Saying it should be up all the time was exaggerating. But, still think it should be available on most units. Experienced guys can do without them, but there's a lot of newbies out there who'll get overconfident and their bound to mess something up. The safety features are for them

I

ILENGINE

Fair point. Saying it should be up all the time was exaggerating. But, still think it should be available on most units. Experienced guys can do without them, but there's a lot of newbies out there who'll get overconfident and their bound to mess something up. The safety features are for them
Experienced guys either fold them down or remove them before using the mower. The newbies are the ones that unload their new mower off the trailer and proceed to drive across the yard hooking the first tree branch they try to go under and either break the branch off and get hit in the head with it, or stand the mower on end or flip it over backwards.

#1 must have: a cup holder.. No compromises on this.. :ROFLMAO: LOL

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Everyone in this thread is focused on the ROPS, when the real question is what features and qualities do you look for in a zero turn? The zero turn market has been very competitive for the last ten years. There are several closely competitive brands of mowers on the market. My buying criteria has been listed, so wondering what others feel is important.

M

MParr

A well designed deck.
A deck that gives a good cut and discharges grass well. A deck that is simple to level. A deck that is has easy access to the belts.

N

Natan Ruman

#1 must have: a cup holder.. No compromises on this.. :ROFLMAO: LOL
A touchy one! Feel like people either hate it or absolutely need it. Gotta side with you on this one though. Even if you don't use it, what's the harm?

It was just meant as a joke.. But I do keep a small water bottle on board, just in case ya catch a mouthful of dust or whatever, a quick swig of water will be welcome..

M

MowDawg

Howdy! Joe here from Lawnmower Man Lawn Service. Seems like not all that much attention is given to operator comfort on ZTR machines, or even smaller lawn/garden tractors. I suppose that's ok if you are Iron Man. I have been a semi-truck driver for many years in the past, and learned the value of a good driver's seat. Air is great, but hydraulic works just fine also....but everyone seems to miss the one feature that would take all the back-slapping by the seat out of the ride!...A glide control. For those who do not know what a glide control is on a semi-truck's seat...imagine a fwd/back seat adjust that is dampened both ways. When the short wheelbased machine bounces/bucks, the glide control absorbes that motion without transferring it to the operator. Hence...no back-slapping. No need for lower back pain medicine at night. Would this add extra cost to the end user? Yes...but not that much, and could be offered as an option. What will sell a glide control seat, is a demo. Let the customer ride one with the seat installed and lock it in and then out to feel the difference. Just a suggestion. G'day sir.....

joelorey@gmail.com

B

beeev

1) How does the mower ride and handle
2) Reliability and longevity
3) Cut quality
4) Cost and features

Note: If you really ever need a roll over protection system, then things have gotten into fluke territory. 1st thing most commercial guys who mow do is either completely remove ROPS bar, or put all the way down. Gets hung up in trees, etc.
All of the above for me plus...
5. Ease of access to service points.
6. Cost of ownership.
7. Parts availability/dealer network and support proximity. I service my own equipment, but IMO, it is still important to have dealer support for warranty or recall issues in a reasonable distance. When someone asks my opinion on which mower they should look at, i ask them what brand is supported the best in their area, especially if they do not do their own service/repair.
8. Overall design and quality of the unit and components.

J

jcworks

Engine and transaxles. I have had very good experience with Kawasaki and Kohler engines. I've owned this 23 hp Kawasaki on my current mower (Toro MX 5060) for 11 years. Never had an issue, none. It also has transaxles made by Hydro-Gear. Very good experience on those too. 11 years, no problem. Hydro-Gear will also talk to you, the customer, and their technicians are very knowledgeable. There are other good brands of mowers but I've owned MTDs, John Deere, and Toro. My experience with Toro has been the best so far. Oh, and one other thing. I prefer the welded steel decks far more than the stamped decks, they last forever.

J

jsrjsr

Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.

J

jcworks

Given that I am getting old and have worn out knees, a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
I can only vouch for the zero turn Toro I have. Its very easy to get on and off. I'd think the other brands would be too but I can only vouch for Toro. I'm 77 and this is probably the last mower I will own.

J

jsrjsr

I can only vouch for the zero turn Toro I have. Its very easy to get on and off. I'd think the other brands would be too but I can only vouch for Toro. I'm 77 and this is probably the last mower I will own.
I have a Toro. I find it difficult to climb on, mostly due to needing something more to grab to help balance.

a zero turn that is easy to climb onto would be the most important feature.
They make an upright grab bar to bolt on the frame to easier mount & dismount your machine. My cousin is 82 & has put one on his Hustler Flip up deck. Game changer according to him. One could fab up something similar as well.

J

jviews12

I want it to work. and work, and work. Parts should not break, or need replacing for 5 years. Parts should be reasonably priced and common, and not needed as it does not break down.

I expect to do good reliable maintenance. I want to be able to LUBRICATE everything that moves, including pulleys and spindles.

I expect factory fuel filter and oil filter showing manufacture gives a crap about machines they make.

OH, NO ELECTRONICS but for coil. no computer, no phone app. none of that crap.

:cool:

N

Natan Ruman

All of the above for me plus...
5. Ease of access to service points.
6. Cost of ownership.
7. Parts availability/dealer network and support proximity. I service my own equipment, but IMO, it is still important to have dealer support for warranty or recall issues in a reasonable distance. When someone asks my opinion on which mower they should look at, i ask them what brand is supported the best in their area, especially if they do not do their own service/repair.
8. Overall design and quality of the unit and components.
When you do your own maintenance & servicing, does that usually void your warranty?

Z

ZO6ZOOM

I want to be able to release the hydro bypass valves without climbing under the machine when it breaks down in the middle of the yard.
I want to be able to reach under the machine to replace the hydro pump drive belt without jacking up the machine.
LED headlights from the factory. All mowers should have them now as standard, they are cheap now.

B

beeev

When you do your own maintenance & servicing, does that usually void your warranty?
No.
If you didn't service/maintain your equipment it would be cause to void warranties.

If you didn't service/maintain your equipment it would be cause to void warranties.
Agreed 100%......

D

dsgreen3

I want to be able to release the hydro bypass valves without climbing under the machine when it breaks down in the middle of the yard.
I want to be able to reach under the machine to replace the hydro pump drive belt without jacking up the machine.
LED headlights from the factory. All mowers should have them now as standard, they are cheap now.
I agree with you 100% on your wants. I also want lower overall height easier to get under branches. fabricated deck that sticks out past the wheels enough to cut in next to things easier. A deck mounting system that does not scalp when mowing slopes. Lots of clearance between the front forks in the tires so wet grass does not get stuck between them. Oil drains and filters that are easy to get to, and designed not to drip all over every thing. Easy access to trouble shoot electronics and battery connections. Suspension seat.

A well designed deck.
A deck that gives a good cut and discharges grass well. A deck that is simple to level. A deck that is has easy access to the belts.
Agreed 100%..

M

MBTRAC

- Higher Blade Tip speed so assist increased cutting speed & mulching performance
- self jacking/raising cutting deck to aid blade replacement/sharpening
- Ease of maintenance: readily accessible optional cyclonic type raised air filter + engine oil drain hose /filter replacement + hydraulic oil/replacement + deck & Drive belts
- greaseable deck spindles & standard size replaceable bearing on spindles/pivot points
- far greater hydraulic oil reservoir capacity to better enable cooler running of hyd Drive motors
- adequate fuel capacity minimum 6-8hrs operation, larger fuel filler with removable screen & accessbe fuel shut off valve/tap
- spring or optional air suspension seat with adjustable arm rests
- OEM dealer supplied 'gator' type serrated cutting blades
- adjustable cup holders that will retain a range of beverage container sizes without letting them bounce out when mowing
- minimum 2x waterproof & fused 12V accessory plugs (for spray pumps, phone charging, operator cooling fan etc.)
- prewired/ fused for plug in type LED accessory lights
- Robust Grab Handle accessory to assist operator ingress/egress
- make available easily removable water ballast front weights to aid Balanced Front to rear weight distribution (with varying operators & equipment/accessories)
- foldable ROPS to enable extra clearance when required (e.g. Under low trees)

A

Aquadisiac

Howdy! Joe here from Lawnmower Man Lawn Service. Seems like not all that much attention is given to operator comfort on ZTR machines, or even smaller lawn/garden tractors. I suppose that's ok if you are Iron Man. I have been a semi-truck driver for many years in the past, and learned the value of a good driver's seat. Air is great, but hydraulic works just fine also....but everyone seems to miss the one feature that would take all the back-slapping by the seat out of the ride!...A glide control. For those who do not know what a glide control is on a semi-truck's seat...imagine a fwd/back seat adjust that is dampened both ways. When the short wheelbased machine bounces/bucks, the glide control absorbes that motion without transferring it to the operator. Hence...no back-slapping. No need for lower back pain medicine at night. Would this add extra cost to the end user? Yes...but not that much, and could be offered as an option. What will sell a glide control seat, is a demo. Let the customer ride one with the seat installed and lock it in and then out to feel the difference. Just a suggestion. G'day sir.....

joelorey@gmail.com
I really don't want to get too far off topic for this thread. I also drove Big Trucks for 38 years and I truly loved the Glide Control in the drivers seat! It was the bees' knees, so-to-speak! As good as an Air Ride seat was when they came out!! But both, together sure make it easier on your back! But for this one company I worked for, there were 126 of us drivers and only two of us liked and used the Glide Control on our seats. It was their backs that were hurting, not mine!!
Carry on!!

poncho144

poncho144

Computer control option, when I sit the system energizes, hit start, AC on, proximity warning on, Cab door/window locks Auto/on/off, wheel lock on/off, tire pressure display on, blade RPM on, Radio on, Muffler bypass on/off, Auto diff lock on/off, Mow/Mulch on/off, Lights auto/off/on, Decibel warning on/off, Engine, Trans, Ambiant temp, Fuel, Tire press/inflator, Belt tensioner on/off display, Auto blade sharpener on/off.
Just a few options.....

G

GrumpyCat

Is my understanding the CPSC rule is ROPS required if 1000 pounds.

Agree, I want ROPS, even on my lighter 42”.

G

GrumpyCat

Significant option on my Country Clipper 42” was the optional front step and handrail. I can not get on/off without.

I have the joystick model.

1BUCKEYE

BAD BOY MAKES AN ASSIST BAR. I GOT MINE @ TSC. EBAY HAS THEM, NOW. WHAT A REAL BONUS IT IS TO HAVE ONE.

G

GrumpyCat

BAD BOY MAKES AN ASSIST BAR. I GOT MINE @ TSC. EBAY HAS THEM, NOW. WHAT A REAL BONUS IT IS TO HAVE ONE.
Have tried one of those at my dealer. Helped but not as good as the Country Clipper. Problem is Country Clipper is having troubles and he had to drop the line.

G

GrumpyCat

To the above I would add:

1) Quality of spindles.

Might fixate on fabricated decks but spindles are common replacement items.

Some box store brands use blades with oddball mounting limiting selection to OE only.

A relative has a Hustler Raptor w/ Flip up deck. For easy under deck access, he is 82,
I like that feature, but seems Hustler has dropped due to the additional $2k price for that option.

D

daybris

i´ve been working with a john deere ztr and the first i would wisch is a danged draining hole in the seat so i don´t "wet" my self
you have to be careful when driving up on a sidewalk ore over an cement edge so the front wheels don´t loose the air when the tire gets lose so i use 15 psi in the front tires. wich also makes it less comfortable. that actually stinks and makes my back hurt
i also let a shop increase max revolutions a bit wich makes it faster and better cutting.
in sweden we have a lot of moss so we have to be careful when turning so whe don´t make scid marks :)
a hydraulic lifting of the deck would also be nice since i use the machine 8 hours a day lifting the deck at more than say 50 times a day.
our climat is also very unpredictable whit maby 8 degrees celsius so a heated seat would keep me away fom the doctor
regards from sweden

S

Steve Smith

Rear wheel size is important to me. Our ground is not as smooth as some yards and we mow fast so larger rear wheels, and front wheels for that matter, make mowing more comfortable. We need a rugged mower that can take some abuse. The frame and suspension on our current mower has broken at least 4 times. I have gotten it beefed up to the point that it is holding for now, but when I replace it, I will look for something beefier.

poncho144

poncho144

A relative has a Hustler Raptor w/ Flip up deck. For easy under deck access, he is 82,
I like that feature, but seems Hustler has dropped due to the additional $2k price for that option.
I gotta ck dat out....

88bradb

I use my SCAG Tiger Cub for my yard only. My main thing that I insisted on is getting a cermercial unit. That way it would be built heavy enough to take some hard knocks and last a long time. My SCAG is 21years old now and still going strong.

My SCAG is 21years old now and still going strong.
Hoping my Liberty does good as well on my land only..

I gotta ck dat out....
Yea, it is cool how it raises the deck to vertical, super easy to do your thing then..

G

GearHead36

Years ago, I wanted a Husqvarna Articulated Rider. One of the reasons I wanted one is the flip up deck, and the ability to mow under bushes. I'm kinda bummed that they're not longer available. I'd still get one if I ever come across one.

J

Joes6353

I gotta ck dat out....
Kubota makes at least one model, local dealer has one on display.

M

mcspeed

Comfort, reliability and servicability. For example, bearings should be sealed, spindles with sleeves should have grease fittings. Belt changes should be simple and not require removal of a lot of other parts/components.

I disagree with the other comments on ROPs. I’m a believer in better safe than sorry. Accidents can happen so it’s a good idea to have the rollover protection. I always wear the seatbelt too. From a manufacturer standpoint, one would have to be ignorant to offer a ZT without one.

B

bertsmobile1

They were withdrawn from sale in the USA because USA home owners are idiots and kept on rolling them over by doing tight turns on slopes or at speed .
Because the wheels on the inside come closer together when doing tight turns .
The same mower is still being made in Europe
Apparently European mower drivers are substantially smarter than American ones
We got thousands of them sent to Australia at a big discounts because the Americans kept on rolling them over and this is after the US version which is longer , has a wider track and a bigger turning radius .
I have around 20 in my service run
Husqvarna Australia still sells them but only the larger commercial version not the residential
Got a friend who's daughter bought one complete with power sweeper .
She runs a van park & camping ground so uses it to cut grass & sweep the roads .
Stiga also do one which is a hoot to drive particularly the 4WD
The Stiga one is called the Park
You can probably order one from Canada

B

bertsmobile1

Comfort, reliability and servicability. For example, bearings should be sealed, spindles with sleeves should have grease fittings. Belt changes should be simple and not require removal of a lot of other parts/components.

I disagree with the other comments on ROPs. I’m a believer in better safe than sorry. Accidents can happen so it’s a good idea to have the rollover protection. I always wear the seatbelt too. From a manufacturer standpoint, one would have to be ignorant to offer a ZT without one.
I got caught unawares the first one I drove with a ROP
It was a Great Dane Chariot and I took it for a test drive out front, went under a street sign on 2 posts and flipped the mower up about 6' before the back grounded & I tore the sign off the posts .