looking for a zero turn 3.27 acres

jenkinsph

Threads
MadMackie,
I would think the hydro would be the best for cemetary work, but you need a high quality drive system as well. I do lots of close quarters work with no overheating on any of my equipment.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
MadMackie,
I would think the hydro would be the best for cemetary work, but you need a high quality drive system as well. I do lots of close quarters work with no overheating on any of my equipment.

Cemeterys are a unique situation as most had no plan to align the lots and stones to make for easier mowing. The cemetery assoc that I am an officer of has a newer part and we have aligned the lots and give specific measurements to the gravestone folks and we encourage the use of flat surface markers which is popular with the costs of everything climbing and much easier to mow over. While mowing the old part, 200 years old, the mower direction levers are in almost constant varying motion for hours at a time and a rear discharge deck is mandatory. Not many companies offer rear discharge decks, so this limits the selection of machines.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cemeterys generally don't put lots of hours on machines but those hours demand more of the machines than usual. Cemetery operators also tend to be more conservative than most and keep machines longer than usual unless the machine is a "lemon" then it is history. In 1994 my cemetery folks bought a new JD ZTR for $10,000, it turned out to be a problematic and difficult machine to operate. In 1996 it was traded in for an Excel 260 with a $3,500 trade in allowance toward another $10,000 machine resulting in a sizable economic loss to the cemetery assoc. Now the Excel and the two Gravelys are getting tired so we decided to order a new Hustler X-One with a 54" rear discharge deck. I am the one who has been pushing the purchase of the new machine, so if it turns out to be a problematic machine, I will get the blame, but I get to repair the machines so I have a deeper understanding of their needs and weak points !!!! However I have done my homework on this machine and I'm confident that it will be a great performer and a time saver once the operators get accustomed to it. We will choose the 500 HR/5 year warranty option as the current machine gets 100 -120 HRs yearly put on it. with the nasty little hills and bumps we go thru blades by the case and I don't see that changing with the new machine. Trimming takes two men a full 9 hour day so we go thru trimmer string by the large roll.

robert

Threads
MM, gas-diesel or propane?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi robert and group,
Having worked on many diesels over the years I have a soft spot for them. However the only engine option for the Hustler machine that has been selected is a 24 HP Kawi and I'm OK with this model Kawi. Small diesels have come a long way, there was a time when just changing fuel filters invoked a fuel system repriming, but things have changed to reduce the maintenance time and effort required to keep them running. Liquid cooling systems are OK as long as the operator(s) respect their need for more attention than an air cooled engine generally needs.
Propane fueled machines have their place but not in the wide open.
So generally, the air cooled gasoline engine is the least needy particularly with the introduction of some ethanol neutralizing additives now on the market that do the job as advertised.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you will get a Lot of years from your X-One... They have plenty going for them...
Did you get the Flex forks, they go a Long way to soften the shock of irregular mowing conditions... Not Just for the operator, but also for the tractor...

Myself I am more into Hustler's diesel powered front-deck mower series, but with your narrow rear discharge requirement, I think you have a tractor that will stay with you... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
....problem is that in cemeterys there is much more maneuvering of the machine than in normal lawn care and overheating ...

The over heating can be eliminated with a large hydraulic oil reservoir, I have over 4 gallons and the ZT pumps & motors have never had heat problems...
also have a Cool running 4 cylinder Kubota liquid cooled diesel engine..

But your right about $$$, initially a bit pricey, but in the long run, can be a very affordable mower... :smile:KennyV

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi KennyV,
Usually sleeping at this time but coughing woke me up, getting over a bug!
I have a friend who is a Hustler dealer in Wisconsin and we have chatted about machines. He suggested that I not get the sprung forks as they have a tendancy to sag after a while. I would love to buy the Hustler from him but the cemetery assoc by-laws specify in state procurement unless not available. We have done business with many local equipment dealers over the years most of which are no longer in business. We actually still have two walk behind Gravelys and a Gravely rider. We used a particular Simplicity rider that worked fairly well for many years. In the 80s this model Simplicity was discontinued and the last two were stolen from the storage shed. A local Gilson dealer sold us two riders that didn't make it thru one season, and back to the Gravelys, I was on active duty with the US Army at the time but had I been home the Gilsons would not have been purchased. We had a local family that did the mowing for years with cemetery owned equipment. When the father died, his wife and son continued for several years then the wife died and the son gave it up. During their time they had many cemetery accounts and did a fine job for reasonable prices. Now the cemetery assoc president, his two sons and their children do the mowing. But our mainstay machine the Excel 260K is getting tired so we have ordered the Hustler X-One. I need to bring the Gravelys home and service them, the walk behinds are manual start with a strap, and if you know Gravelys you know that the strap start units are from the 50s-60s!! One gets a workout on the Gravelys in a 200 year old cemetery. We did find several gravestones that date farther back than that but the assoc was formed in 1806. Both my father-in law and mother in-law and her parents had been inolved with this cemetery, my wife has been the treasurer since 1970.
Anyway, I just took a dose of cough meds and going to try to get back to sleep!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was just wondering if this tractor would be sufficient for mowing 3.27 it has a 54' deck. I can buy it for like $1400.

Engine Brand Name Kohler
Cylinders 2
Horsepower 20 / 14.9
Horsepower RPM 3600
Torque 33.3 / 45.1
Cooling Air
Bore 77 / 3.03
Stroke 67 / 2.6
Displacement 0.6
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Fuel Type Gas
Engine Model Code CV20
Aspiration Natural
Carburetion Type Carburetor
Transmission Type Hydrostatic
Number Of Speeds 1 / 1
Maximum Forward Speed 6.5 / 10.5
Clutch Type Not Applicable
Number of Ranges 1
PTO Type Independent
PTO Location Mid
Length 6.33
Wheelbase 50.6 / 1285.2
Turning Radius 0.5
Length (ft/ft) 6
Length (ft/in) 4
Weight Standard
Fuel Capacity 4.5 / 17
Wheels Composition Steel
Front Tire Diameter 16
Rear Tire Diameter 23
Front Tire Width 6.5
Rear Tire Width 9.5
Front Tire 16 x 6.5
Rear Tire 23 x 9.5
Tread Type Turf
Rear Brake Type Dry Disc
Hour Meter Standard
Fuel Level Warning Type Gauge
Driveline Type 4X2
Steering Type Manual
Platform Layout Open
Headlights Standard
Mower Deck Width 54
Cruise Control Standard

robert

Threads
Ric, whats the drive on this mystery machine-is it a real heavy duty large capacity oil unit-that will run very cool - or the typical sealed consumer drives with sintered gears found on so many zero turns? Are the pulleys composite/plastic like many zt makers are using or steel and are the spindles cast iron, cast aluminum, zirks, ??

The machine certainly would be able to mow the lot size you reference, but of course the high ground speed you state is moot as some here have correctly typed that the lay of the land is the determinator of just what forward speed can be used-as for durability machine X would certainly last as long as all entry level zt units and if you are buying it-new-? at a big box store you would have the added benefit of being able to use it for about 30 days to decide if the product does fit the bill-sounds as though you can't go wrong.

My advice, if this is a new unit, is to have the machine delivered, and mow baby mow THEN in a few weeks from another return friendly source have a zero turn of your choice, entry level as this is of course, delivered and see once and for all the severe limitations, the body pounding ride of the zt and the very deliberate manner in which a zt mower must be operated so as to avoid turf damage.

Then you will realize that for the average homeowner and even the larger property owner the most intelligent and cost effective machine to have is the tractor, that is of course if one is able to have one machine only............