Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Gas tank had a smidge I debri in it. Cleaned that out and made sure the lines were cleared to the carb. Took it for a test run and it did great for 10 mins then shut down again. This is the info I can find on the mower. Have a carb coming today hopefully.
What info?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said earlier, if you have adjustable valves, then everyone would give different advice.

Or at least they should.

mrs6391

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I have your fix Cwest. When the engine starts to shut down, open your gas cap. See if that works. I have a Kohler 6.75 engine mower that does the exact same thing. Obviously a vacuum issue of some kind. If that works, try just getting a new gas cap. Or, like me, when the issue arises, just undo the gas cap, the re-secure it. The fix seems to last for another 15-20 minutes.
No one has mentioned the fuel filter.

davis2

Threads
Through 4 pages, I've seen a lot of possibilities. I'd start with the simple stuff, blow out the fuel cap vent, drain tank and change fuel lines. If there is still a problem, you have a list of possibilities. Do what your skills allow.

gerryvtx18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Could be your coils , they get hot and it shuts down, no spark.

gerryvtx18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be your coils. They get hot and there’s no spark. I had the same
problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For about 20 you can get a red neon tube in line spark tester
Hook it up so you can see it and go mow
When the engine is quitting but is still rotating have a look at the tube.
If it is flashing but the engine is not firing then you have a fuel or valve problem
If it is not flashing then the coil is toast or there is a short in the wiring.
To rule out the latter, remove the kill wire and move it well out of the way.
Flashes when quitting or does not quit then the wiring is at fault
NB you will either need to let it run out of fuel or pull the HT lead off the spark plug to stop the mower.

triode

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had exactly the same problem. I found a blockage in the carby where the fuel line entered. I just cleaned in our using a small drill bit by hand. Sometimes there could be a blockage in the petrol tank cap and either fix it or just loosen it off every now and then !

Biddaddydan

Forum Newbie
Threads
"Always go for the obvious first" repeats my small motor neigbour-guru. As many have already pointed out, sounds to me that the gas cap doesn't vent properly. Do try running the motor with the cap completely loose. Good luck !