Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

Joed756

Threads
Sounds like vapor lock, generally cured by replacing the gas cap. You can try cleaning it with soap and water, rinse the soap out and let it dry completely before trying again.

JjEjFjF

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

It is common for the EPA style breather in the fuel fill cap (or located within the tank) to get clogged. When you run the mower, fuel flows to the carb until a vacuum is formed... at which time the fuel can't flow and so the engine runs out of fuel. Without doing a thing, air SLOWLY comes back into the tank over the next several hours and then everything seems fine... until it happens all over.

Most of the time, a burst of air from a compressed air blower nozzle will break it free. Sometimes a squirt of "carb cleaner" helps. It's simply old, scuzzy fuel caught in the overly-complicated, EPA mandated breather.

>> Don't leave fuel in the tank over winter.
>> Try running a cleaner-stabilizer, like StarTron all year round.
>> To diagnose, unscrew the fuel cap (even 1/4 turn) and the issue will be cured immediately.
I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. Im 55 years old, needless to say, ive been doing that for a long long time.

JjEjFjF

Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Coil?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. Im 55 years old, needless to say, ive been doing that for a long long time.

Responses like this are about as useful to any one as Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work.
As has been stated thousands of times there are so many factors that go into determining weather fuel goes off or not in a particular situation that a single persons experiences are not applicable to any one but them, their mower in their shed using the fuel they buy.
And you are obviously one of the lucky ones that can get away with it
I make about $ 30,000 a year from the unlucky ones who can not get away with improper fuel storeage.
People like myself who see better than 100 mowers a year that have been stored in all sorts of situations using all sorts of fuel ALL say the same thing.
Tip the fuel out & run dry or fill the tank to the brim.
We don't say this for the fun of it we say it because it WORKS FOR EVERY MACHINE , EVERY FUEL & EVERY STORAGE situation.

And yes every spark ignited engine has a coil, unless it has a 30,000 Volt power supply.

Bearded1duh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kohler V twin on a walk behind mower ( sorry, just don't know the model) which acted the way you describe. It has 2 coils (magnetos). When the engine came to temperature, it warmed the coils sufficiently that the "tired" coil's resistance changed enough to cause it to malfunction and not generate spark power. The engine would continue to run on its other "good" coil but since operating/firing on only one of the two pistons, it had not enough power to mow and travel and would conk out when the blades were engaged. New coil fixed the problem. My 1995 F-350 dump truck with Windsor 305 engine did the same thing and a new coil cured that as well. Keep in mind that as electrical circuits and/or wires heat up, their resistance increases and efficiency / conductivity decreases because the electrical energy converts into heat energy and rapidly increases the coil's temperature and further decreases its conductivity. I am not certain, but I surmise that an out of operating range heated metal object, like a wire bobbin found in an ignition coil, has a lot of electrons zooming around in a random / disorganized manner and an otherwise straight through running current joins the fray since it meets up with the crazy electrons which are resistant to an organized flow. An organized flow is the current on which the spark plug's operation depends. The engine "acts like it's not getting gas" because it is starved for current. It is not sparking sufficiently to sustain useful power generating combustion and then sparks so little as to cause it to shut down. After a period of cooling off, that minute you wrote about, the coil likely cooled off enough to again provide sufficient organized electron flow=ignition current.
Having said all that, the fuel vent failure comment is also a strong contending concept and easier to prove out that changing a coil, cheaper too.

velozp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine was the carburetor. I had a helk of a time finding an original. I ended up going with a $25 Chinese one on amazon, runs perfect. Don't forget to check the bowl nut . Mine was loose and spewed gas at startup. Tightened it up and no leaks, Mine also came with the backfire solenoid and wire connector.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
" Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work."

NO! Don't tell me it ain't so. You say'n he lied to us?

Born2Mow

Threads
I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. I'm 55 years old, needless to say, I've been doing that for a long long time.
And that's exactly what I'm trying to tell you, sir.

In those 55 years, believe it or not, THINGS HAVE CHANGED. The formulation of gasoline has changed, drastically. The design of fuel breather systems has changed, drastically.

With all due respect... I note that you have moved on from penciling questions onto post cards, which is the way technical answers were sought in 1966. In a similar manner, you need to update your knowledge and practices concerning modern fuels and their effect.

All the best, my friend.

Born2Mow

Threads
Responses like this are about as useful to any one as Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work.

QhOCOpm.jpg

Even the Boogie Man checks under his bed for Chuck Norris !

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
" Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work."

NO! Don't tell me it ain't so. You say'n he lied to us?
I frequent driving by Chuck's ranch in Navasota. the LoneWolf Ranch, and right across the road is the C-Force water company.