Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Although the above sounds like a fuel problem, it also sounds like an overheating problem. If you haven't removed all the housing to reveal the fins, please take a look. What I found under mine was a nice varmint nest. Just enough stuffing to let the engine run for about 5-10 minutes, then a shutdown, followed by a cooldown and start again. And yes, I did initially treat the problem as a fuel problem and totally cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, lines and gas cap. None of those fixed the problem; but cleaning out the fins (I used a power washer, but that was over-kill) had it running until I shut it off. Don't feel bad though, all those things you've already done, need to be done occasionally.
This is a YEARLY check on ALL mowers. More if you bag or side sling. Scalp the yeard, you better check it out. Over heating causes valve seats to come loose and so on. Look all around the cylinder/s cooling fins for grass, dirt, oil and junk.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anti backfire valves can be a issue , however I have found they more often cause a no start issue rather than stall condition after 10-15 minute run time !
Snip the plunger off of the carb bowl solenoid. The part that goes up into the carb to shut the fuel off. Never have this issue again.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is either a flaky coil or fuel delivery issue.

slomo

Born2Mow

Threads
Had this issue a few years back. Try taking off gas cap for a test run. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in mine and never had issue again. I suspect a new cap may have also fixed it.
Yes, the older caps had a big 1/16" hole in them and they never gave a problem. But the EPA since ~1990 is all concerned about fumes adding to inner-city air pollution and so all the makers had to seal their fuel systems. They had to add complicated one-way breathers where air could come in, but fumes couldn't go out. That's why they get stopped up from time to time.

If you got a riding mower where the fuel level is 4 or more inches above the liquid, then yes, you can simply drill a tiny hole and be done with it. But on a walk-behind, the cap is closer to the fuel and the liquid would splash out.

G69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Ignition coil will be the problem. Faulty ones are OK when cool but fail when they heat up. Cool down again and all good. They never get tested in the workshop long enough to show as a problem. I had a Stihl brushcutter and took years to diagnose the problem as the ignition coil even after numerous visits to various repair places.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who is scalping their yard now?

slomo

MNtractorGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Check you fuel cap. I’ve seen the vent become restricted where the vent wasn’t completely plugged. As you loosen or remove the cap the air enters and everything will be fine for a few minutes. I’m not sure if you’d hear the air entering the tank. Fuel line, valve issues could also be a factor- but take the easiest things first.