Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

Guillaume

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Definitely sound like a lack of fuel, clog fuel lime or filer, stuck needle valve on float. Best way to see if you have fuel getting to the carb is removing the drain plug,if possible put a small plastic container under the carb

Tyy

Threads
Lots of recommendations and not a lot of feedback from the o.p. Agree never required to replace a well designed and maintained carb . Several sources of repair kits cheap online. Kiss principle works best . Always provide Manuf. Model & Serial number . Ensure you have fresh fuel , spark plug in good condition , clean air & if applicable fuel filter . Trouble shooting , adequate spark ? , fuel to carb intake ? If ok , remove gas cap when engine begins to stall out . If this does not resolve the issue most likely faulty coil , which is breaking down as it warms up . Secondary , possible that auto choke is not opening , however that normally does not requireb 10-15 minutes normally 3 to 4 minutes . Hopefully the owner responds to what he has done or further observed !

Last edited:

Kurttb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have a problem with the engine getting too hot and the oil temperature sensor cutting off the engine?

Tyy

Threads
Do you have a problem with the engine getting too hot and the oil temperature sensor cutting off the engine?
Never seen a high temp oil sensor on any mowers , low oil sensors yes ! Serviced high temp sensors on outboard & liquid cooled snowmobiles only !

Last edited:

jrk

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your Kohler has a electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb., replace it. I ran into this issue several times and replaced the switch (anti-backfire) and the issue was fixed.

Tyy

Threads
If your Kohler has a electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb., replace it. I ran into this issue several times and replaced the switch (anti-backfire) and the issue was fixed.
Anti backfire valves can be a issue , however I have found they more often cause a no start issue rather than stall condition after 10-15 minute run time !

ossroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This problem drove me nuts for two seasons. I dumped a bunch of money into new parts because I was too lazy to take advice here and yank the fuel line leading from the tank to the inline fuel valve. Did you actually disassemble the hose from the tank to the fuel valve? When I did, there was all kinds of debris inside the hose, bunched up against the fuel valve tang. Blew it out and its run like a champ ever since.

Tyy

Threads
This problem drove me nuts for two seasons. I dumped a bunch of money into new parts because I was too lazy to take advice here and yank the fuel line leading from the tank to the inline fuel valve. Did you actually disassemble the hose from the tank to the fuel valve? When I did, there was all kinds of debris inside the hose, bunched up against the fuel valve tang. Blew it out and its run like a champ ever since.
That's why I always utilize the kiss principle . Good catch on the inlet fuel line from tank , I have seen this often on older lawn tractors with gravity flow and newer units with electric fuel pumps , a common problem many newbies overlook Cudo 's !

Threads
Just throwin' this out for what it's worth. I have a JD Scott's L1742 that had the same symptoms - start fine, run fine, then after some random amount of time, just shut off. I had run into the fuel cap thing so I knew about that one & that wasn't it. I replaced all the fuel lines & fuel filter. Same problem. Traced it back to the fuel-shut off on the carb. Replaced the cutoff switch. Same problem. I finally figured it out - it was the $#&$@ positive battery cable connection where it connects to the coil under that red rubber cover. It was loose. After jostling and vibrating around enough it would disconnect and cause the fuel shut off switch to cut the fuel off. Duh huh! LOL Good luck.

Reactions: Tyy

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Taking a look past the carb this line is badly decayed. Not sure if this could be causing my issue?
Replace the fuel line. You don't need a mower burning to the ground.

slomo