Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

Cwestin89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So you have good flow from the fuel line at the carburetor correct?
My brother had this exact problem on his cv16 last year. New fuel lines and never had an issue again.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the best mower slash engine forum on the internet.

slomo

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up your spec. numbers off of the tag. Some of those models had adjustable valves, and that could easily be your problem.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our Kohler section.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Floating debris in the fuel tank gets sucked into the fuel line & blocks it off.
Once the flow stops the debris floats off again. Process repeats at infinitum
Water that has condensed in the fuel system builds up in the fuel system so after a few minutes the carb starts sucking water .
bad fuel solenoid cuts off fuel supply to the main jet.

Go to Kohlers web page & download both the parts manual & the service manual for the mower .

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

It is common for the EPA style breather in the fuel fill cap (or located within the tank) to get clogged. When you run the mower, fuel flows to the carb until a vacuum is formed... at which time the fuel can't flow and so the engine runs out of fuel. Without doing a thing, air SLOWLY comes back into the tank over the next several hours and then everything seems fine... until it happens all over.

Most of the time, a burst of air from a compressed air blower nozzle will break it free. Sometimes a squirt of "carb cleaner" helps. It's simply old, scuzzy fuel caught in the overly-complicated, EPA mandated breather.

>> Don't leave fuel in the tank over winter.
>> Try running a cleaner-stabilizer, like StarTron all year round.
>> To diagnose, unscrew the fuel cap (even 1/4 turn) and the issue will be cured immediately.

Last edited:

Cwestin89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Gas tank had a smidge I debri in it. Cleaned that out and made sure the lines were cleared to the carb. Took it for a test run and it did great for 10 mins then shut down again. This is the info I can find on the mower. Have a carb coming today hopefully.

Cwestin89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Taking a look past the carb this line is badly decayed. Not sure if this could be causing my issue?

Reactions: Tyy

gblanchard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had this issue a few years back. Try taking off gas cap for a test run. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in mine and never had issue again. I suspect a new cap may have also fixed it.