Kawaaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

coder

Threads
Bert, Do you use filter minders (Vacuum gauges) to actually measure the air filter restriction? I get that too much restriction can cause running rich,
e.g.: if the restriction increases beyond 4" (afaik) and the filter is supposed to be replaced at 7-8" .

I would love to hear someone propose a theory on how an airbox and filter exactly cause the "running lean" condition. (We are talking about non-fuel injected OPE-s).

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Filter Minders aren't one size fits all. They come in different restrictions that have to be matched to the filter element.

I'm looking at a Donaldson restriction indicator right now that is marked for "30 inches H2O" and that was too much for the engine and Roots blower on a pneumatic truck and never got used. That truck, a KW T800 with L10 Cummins could tolerate 25" H2O, if I remember correctly. This indicator has only one band of restriction--red if 30" has been reached; clear if it has not.

You've got to get the max restriction from the filter manufacturer, then get the right Filter Minder.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, Do you use filter minders (Vacuum gauges) to actually measure the air filter restriction? I get that too much restriction can cause running rich,
e.g.: if the restriction increases beyond 4" (afaik) and the filter is supposed to be replaced at 7-8" .

I would love to hear someone propose a theory on how an airbox and filter exactly cause the "running lean" condition. (We are talking about non-fuel injected OPE-s)
IMHO way too much theory and not enough practice
I fit one
Mower does not 8 stroke so it is not too rich
Motor does not surge so not too lean
Job done
I for one can not see any practical difference
I think they are associating a snorkel with a velocity stack
But the long & short is I have fitted several canister filters to commercial customers mowers that came without them and thousands of hours latter they are still running fine
Fitted one to a Time cutter residential with a bagger where the original filter had failed, that one is 4 years on now and still on the original element

And as was mentioned in the original reply, I work on a few skid steers & Dingos
These use horizontal shaft engines and canister filters but the carb jetting is the same .

Dust is the biggest enemy to your engine and a better air filter is the answer to excessive dust .

coder

Threads
Filter Minders aren't one size fits all. They come in different restrictions that have to be matched to the filter element.

I'm looking at a Donaldson restriction indicator right now that is marked for "30 inches H2O" and that was too much for the engine and Roots blower on a pneumatic truck and never got used. That truck, a KW T800 with L10 Cummins could tolerate 25" H2O, if I remember correctly. This indicator has only one band of restriction--red if 30" has been reached; clear if it has not.

You've got to get the max restriction from the filter manufacturer, then get the right Filter Minder.

Guilty, I tend to be a bit heavy on theory. I am a software guy. :)

AFAIK For the typical small 2 cylinder engine in the 15-30 hp range the correct minder measures in the 0-8 inch range.
My Kawi FR691 w a new filter pulls about 1" .

I am planning on changing the outer filter when it gets to 7", which
I do not expect to until a few years had passed.
Good luck getting any info out of Kawi, they just ignored me when I asked them. If anybody gets any info from them
on the max restriction, pls post.

Kawasaki or John Deere has a 0..8" minder (both are rebadged Donaldsons, the JD is a lot less money)
These actually read the actual restriction value within their range.

The JD is ~ half the money compared to the Kawi, and the writing is 180 degree turned, so you can actually read it easily
when it is mounted on the filter housing, using the provided threaded hole. Model number: John Deere AUC 16126
You can get it here: https://www.misternezq.com/john-deere-air-filter-restriction-indicator-auc16126-p-18813.htm
Plus it comes with the double threaded ( threaded on both ends) brass nipple to mount on the Donaldson housing.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I built this Donaldson conversion for my former Toro TC. It is still running fine. The new owner is happy with the machine.

I've been working on an updated version for my new Liberty, but warranty prevents me modifying it at this time.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
For those not willing to fork out the money for the conversion, add a foam pre-filter to the standard paper element and clean the pre-filter regularly. Get a new paper element and pre-filter every 100 hours.
Using a bagging system is going to generate more dust.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Kawaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

Got any details on how to do this on a 2023 Kawasaki FR691V 23 hp?

I just found an entire kits on eBay at....

Last edited:

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I have Exactly what is used on FX Kawasaki V-twins, & Kohler.

Kawasaki Part # 52005-2152

Now that are using Kawasaki 52005-0765 HDC Filter Minder
(Replaces 52005-2152)

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got any details on how to do this on a 2023 Kawasaki FR691V 23 hp?

I just found an entire kits on eBay at....

That feebay kit mounts to the "PLASTIC" blower housing. How long do you think that's gonna last before it cracks ?

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
That feebay kit mounts to the "PLASTIC" blower housing. How long do you think that's gonna last before it cracks ?

It has a metal plate that mounts directly to the bolt holes the door uses.

You remove the door and use the 2 bolt holes so the metal plate is bolting to metal

Theirs keep leaves the door off, so I'd probably figure a way to put the door back on so there's no gaping hole there

Other than that it would bolt in to metal and be sturdy.

The kits is supposed to be off of some other mower that take this type of filter

You can watch their install video at

Last edited: