Kawaaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did he explain what adverse consequences a better air cleaning system was going to cause?

Wouldn't adding a sock to the oval FR filter be a similar crime against the environment? Can I expect a visit from the Environment Police Agency soon?
He only stated, if modified in any way other than by a Licensed Dealer, (cause they make $0.) it is considered tampering with the emissions. Which is BS. But they will sell the foam pre-filter. And instead of a sock, I used to use womens sheer stockings, cut to fit.

Used to be you could chose which air filter system you wanted on Kaws & they would install on your new machine. A Tech @ Kawasaki® told me this.

I was1/2 tempted to simply swap blower housings. But they each have a Serial number. So that won't fly. & I likely will sell the Toro, as it seems Dealers are having trouble getting new machines. And I really do not need 2.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Baldwin and Engineaire both sell large twin element 3 stage air filters for just about every engine ever made .
Mechanics who were not fully asleep during their tech classes will know that carbs are jetted to have the correct air/fuel ratio from a clean filter to a 50% blocked air filter.
Thus a brand new filter will be a touch lean & a heavily clogged filter will be a tad rich and a fully clogged filter will choke the engine.
Idiots conflate a CAR TRUCK or MOTORCYCLE engine with a governed fix speed and fixed timing mower engine.
The air?fuel requirements and in particular the air flow requirements are massively different in particular with the air flow requirements
Bert- That is good info. & Very true about filters

& on Ebay now is some dude selling FX Air filter kits for FR & FS. The design is laughable.

txmowman

Threads
How could better filtering of air void a warranty or be an EPA violation, considering that Kawasaki sells the same air filtering system on the FX engine models??
The FX models are EPA rated for the canister filter. Its quite simple.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rated? What does that mean? Does the FX filter change the fuel/air ratio? What does it to to an FR that knocks it out of calibration, or 'rating' as you put it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And Kawasaki offer the Baldwin canister filter as a dealer fitted upgrade for both the FR & FS although it is quite expensive to fit to a FR
There is no difference between the FS , FR , & FX engines as far as emissions go
Same bore , stroke , valves, cams, ignition modules are all the same
The FR got a cheaper air filter with no prefilter foam
The FS got a better air filter with a pre filter foam wrap
Their carburettors are identical & use the same jets .
Both are EPA certified , the FR for 12 months & the FS for 24 months
This difference is purely due to expected engine wear & yearly hours
The FX got a double barrel carb which fixes the induction bias because whichever side fires last runs richer than the one that fires first due to the stop start air flow
The FX is also EPA certified for 24 months
The canister air filter offers a slightly faster engine response because of slightly lower resistance to air flow.
And it is so small that there is absolutely no difference in engine speeds filter connected to filter removed
In fact there is no difference across the entire range filter on to filter off.
Again you are conflaiting fixed speed mower engines with variable speed automotive engines where the air flow restrictions created by the filter do make a difference to engine tuning. These are MOWER ENGINES not F1 race engines .

And FWIW I have fitted canister filters to at least a 1/2 dozen FR engines for commercial customers who have blown their engines , most would be pushing 3000 hour by now and all are running fine .

It is one thing to read what is on the label
It is a different thing all together to understand what is written & why it is so .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What kills the FR's is the poor air filter, particularly if the mower is a ZTR with a bagger on it.
Have needed to fit new rings to a couple like that with bores glass smooth after a year or so.
One owner insisted on making a warranty clam as FR's have a 5 year warranty down here .
Cost him $ 250 ( Aus) to have Kawakasi knock it back on top of what I charged for the hone & new rings .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Plan to convert my New Kawi as well, maybe after warranty (3 yrs)

But I run the FS air filter & foam pre-filter for now.

coder

Threads
I have a Donaldson on my FR691 , with a 1..8" ( water column) minder. So my thinking on the "running rich, causing EPA / CARB issues"
is pretty simple:

Other than providing nice, filtered air, and some air restriction, what else is there? (In terms of the filter interacting with the engine).

I respectfully put forward that the only thing that the filter could "do" to cause any running rich condition is causing excessive air restriction. Those who have a filter minder on the
housing can verify that this filter/ housing combo, when clean, causes <=1" water column restriction max when operating at max RPM. This seems to me
in-line with the new OEM tiny filter, so that seems like no problem to me.

So: The Donaldson cylindrical filter and housing measurably and demonstrably does not cause unreasonably high air restriction. I recommend to put a minder on any such conversion,
which will demonstrate at a glance, that the replacement air box works well within the desired parameters.

Tampering is defined as removing, or "rendering ineffective" a listed component, such as the air filter. Removal for "Replacement" is specifically allowed.
I do not see how replacing the air filter with one which has identical or better specifications, esp. the air restriction, which is most relevant here, would be "rendering ineffective".

It can be argued that the cylindrical housing and filters provide several advantages compared to the OEM paper filter, and no disadvantages.

E.g.:
Better filtration efficiency throughout the life of the filter
Significantly longer service interval
With a Minder added, there is no need to perform risky visual inspections.
Improved filter media tear/leak protection via providing an extra "safety" filter

We know that these air boxes are used by the manufacturer on their premium engine models, so the manufacturer is familiar with the
properties and advantages of this filtering solution.

I think an engine manufacturer would have an uphill battle denying warranty coverage, because of the Magnuson - Moss warranty act in the US.
as I recall the gist of it : a manufacturer cannot mandate a particular brand of a replacable/wear item, as a condition to maintain warranty
unless they are willing to provide such component free of charge.

But, if you are concerned about this, preserve and put the puny oem filter back on the engine before any warranty work/claim.

Last edited:

coder

Threads
BTW dealers perhaps could have an interest in selling you small filters at big prices, so their advice in this matter is hardly impartial.