IS700Z - Iridium plugs FYI

SirMowzalot

Threads
Well...... looks like we have another " I am the smartest guy in the room and on the internet".

SirKnowzaLot is just entertainment at this point.
Yeah because who am I to question a guy that never actually uses the equipment he works on, right?

Never said I knew it all. I posted an "FYI" thread. You're the one that showed up defending a notoriously inferior product with years of experience "fixing" and never actually using equipment. Your "experience" doing it wrong just doesn't impress me. Get over it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You come to a forum that most people come to for help of some sort help with a problem. You on the other hand show up and state how inferior champion plugs are and how they always fail. And then, of course, the ones in your new mower fail. You stated the engine ran rough and the plugs were black. That would indicate a misfire from carbon tracking. Why were the plugs carbon fouled? It is generally caused by either an improper fuel air mixture which you say is not the case or the plugs are not operated in the self cleaning range of approx 1000*F. Which means either the factory installed the wrong heat range plugs or you were not running the engine hard enough to get the plugs to the proper temp. I would love to hear your scientific analysis on why all champion plugs are junk.
You state that people on this forum that service equipment for profit are doing a disservice to their customers if we don't do it the way you think it should be done. That is called arrogance. Oh yeah, i have about 30 things with small engines and i would bet some are as old as you and the all run fine. And most of my customers i have had for years. If the crap plugs and oil i use don't work why do they keep bringing them back every year for annual maint? Like i said, i consider you entertainment. I am bored this morning drinking my coffee an i need some entertainment before i go out and put some more inferior spark plugs and crap dino oil in some poor unsuspecting customer's engine because i just don't care.

Have a nice day?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still waiting on the new spark plug report. Guess we will never see his new wonder plugs. Post up some pictures of your NHRA spark plugs.

Struck the sucker out to clean up my act. Trying to be polite.

slomo

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for reopening this thread. This post is for all the DIY guys out there. Which brand of plug you use in your equipment is a 99% personal choice. If one brand works better for you, go with it. Experienced techs do use different brands of plugs on different pieces of equipment because of heat range availability and individual preferences, and there are those brands we swear by and those we swear at. This thread was started because the OP had his plug carbon up after 5 hours of use. 85% of the time the cause for this happening is a problem in the fuel system, engine running too rich. 10% of the time is a bad coil or triggering module not providing enough voltage or firing at the wrong time. 4% of the time is plug is bad or the wrong heat range. 1% of the time it is a wieid combination of all of these. You must do the proper troubleshooting before throwing parts at the engine and experienced techs will tell you to start with the fuel system. If you run into this problem I suggest that you look at the fuel system first before throwing parts at it because anyone tells you a certain brand is bad, without proof. That being said, the choice is yours as how you want to proceed. If you have questions ask a service tech who you trust, and never assume that what you find on the World Wide Web is gospel.

SirMowzalot

Threads
You come to a forum that most people come to for help of some sort help with a problem. You on the other hand show up and state how inferior champion plugs are and how they always fail. And then, of course, the ones in your new mower fail. You stated the engine ran rough and the plugs were black. That would indicate a misfire from carbon tracking. Why were the plugs carbon fouled? It is generally caused by either an improper fuel air mixture which you say is not the case or the plugs are not operated in the self cleaning range of approx 1000*F. Which means either the factory installed the wrong heat range plugs or you were not running the engine hard enough to get the plugs to the proper temp. I would love to hear your scientific analysis on why all champion plugs are junk.
You state that people on this forum that service equipment for profit are doing a disservice to their customers if we don't do it the way you think it should be done. That is called arrogance. Oh yeah, i have about 30 things with small engines and i would bet some are as old as you and the all run fine. And most of my customers i have had for years. If the crap plugs and oil i use don't work why do they keep bringing them back every year for annual maint? Like i said, i consider you entertainment. I am bored this morning drinking my coffee an i need some entertainment before i go out and put some more inferior spark plugs and crap dino oil in some poor unsuspecting customer's engine because i just don't care.

Have a nice day?

Hmm, where should I start.

You come to a forum that most people come to for help of some sort help with a problem. You on the other hand show up and state how inferior champion plugs are and how they always fail.

I showed up here looking for information on how to globally disable safety switches on a Cub Cadet so I can verify that's the problem before wasting my time tracking down the specific issue. THAT was my first post. My post with respect to Champion plugs was a solution to a problem. Champion plugs just happened to be the problem that was solved. NGK's still running strong by the way, of course. The reason why one would post things like that is to save folks the time of creating a thread, and enduring some of the various "personalities" on this board, while they wait for a useful response that could show up anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 weeks later. But last I checked, I'm not really obligated to explain myself to you, nor is anyone else. It would seem to me that you need to understand that.

You stated the engine ran rough and the plugs were black. That would indicate a misfire from carbon tracking. Why were the plugs carbon fouled? It is generally caused by either an improper fuel air mixture which you say is not the case or the plugs are not operated in the self cleaning range of approx 1000*F. Which means either the factory installed the wrong heat range plugs or you were not running the engine hard enough to get the plugs to the proper temp. I would love to hear your scientific analysis on why all champion plugs are junk.

Hmm, you obviously don't have much experience with this particular engine, or ignition systems in general.

The very LAST thing I want to fool with on this engine is air/fuel mixture. With respect to carbon it comes from numerous things. One of them being weak firing. Now this could be caused by the ignition coils, or it could be caused by the plugs. The ignition system is under warranty. The plugs aren't. The ignition system is far more difficult to change. The plugs take 5 minutes including gapping. Keep in mind I noticed this problem with around 2 hours on the machine. Maybe it's not even a problem. Maybe it's the standard. Well, it's not up to my standards. So with all that in mind the plugs were the first thing to be addressed. Problem solved. Why? Because when Champion plugs are involved 9.9 out of 10 it's the plugs. Your experience while it may differ and is certainly entertaining doesn't negate mine. But I understand where it comes from. You're used to wrenching on lawn mowers that don't put much wear on things. I installed my first engine while still in high school, and raced quite for many years after. So I learned which brands are up to the task, and which ones aren't. Can you run Champions in a lawn mower? Certainly. You just have to lower the air/fuel mixture to a level they can handle, thereby robbing horsepower from the engine. Where I come from that's just not done.

You state that people on this forum that service equipment for profit are doing a disservice to their customers if we don't do it the way you think it should be done. That is called arrogance. Oh yeah, i have about 30 things with small engines and i would bet some are as old as you and the all run fine. And most of my customers i have had for years. If the crap plugs and oil i use don't work why do they keep bringing them back every year for annual maint?

No, I stated that people like you that operate on misinformation disguised by tenure shouldn't be taken seriously. That's called the power of observation. Combustion engines for some odd reason are a complete mystery to many people. The fact that you have regular customers is great, but doesn't impress me. It just means you know a lot of people that probably aren't good with a wrench. The fact that I don't have regular customers just means I'd rather do something else professionally for more money. As for your 30 things with small engines that I highly doubt are older than I am, I'm sure they'll run forever. Because you seem to make it a practice to run small engines at less than their full potential by robbing them of horsepower as a standard practice. Thanks for making my point.

Like i said, i consider you entertainment.
I'm sure you feel the same about education. Thanks for sharing.

I am bored this morning drinking my coffee an i need some entertainment before i go out and put some more inferior spark plugs and crap dino oil in some poor unsuspecting customer's engine because i just don't care.

Great, and then you can sit around the camp fire with your customers that wouldn't know a spark plug from a banana and woo them with your stories of engine displacement reduction. Have fun! Cheers!?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sirmowsalot your quote, “My post with respect to Champion plugs was a solution to a problem.” Is exactly right. You had a problem and found a solution. I have agreed with you that a bad plug could have been the cause of the problem, end of story. If you would have stopped right there this thread would be dead. Instead you have to make claims about spark plugs that are not facts, just assumptions based on your experience. On top of that you then go one step farther and state the professionals in this field are only trying to line their pockets by not agreeing with your assumptions. That is where the problem lies. This forum was set up to provide individuals with possible answers to problems they have with landscaping equipment and the motors and engines used to power them. Members ask questions and other members try to provide answers. Members trying to provide answers come from a variety of backgrounds. 1. They may be a person who had the same problem and offers the solution they found. 2. They may be the person who loves to tinker and has seen the problem. 3. They may be the person who is trying to make a little extra money out of his garage, because he is handy and the neighbors come to him for help. 4. They may be the service tech or owner who has the training and experience to do it professionally. This is the group which you are spouting unsubstantiated assumptions about. A service tech or owner have years of training and experience, which you don’t see. They have been required to attend yearly update training sessions on all equipment they do warranty work on. You state that they just work on equipment that they don’t have to use. Totally wrong, any service tech worth a dime has been behind the equipment both in testing and hands on hours. Have you ever had to repair a piece of equipment in the field? Most of us have worked on equipment in conditions that you wouldn’t do to help a friend. We are the professionals in our industry and all we ask is that we be treated the same way you expect us to treat you. Yes, just like you found a bad plug, there are the 5% in this industry that are bad. In your case you assume a bad plug means bad brand and a bad service tech means a bad industry. SHAME ON YOU.

These statements are facts the can easily be backed up. Your statement that replacing a plug being carbon fouled, with another plug could be a solution, is a fact, which can be backup by your experience in this case. Saying all plugs of a certain brand are bad and junk, is not a fact, and you have no way to back up your statement. This is just your opinion, which you have the right to state as opinions, not facts. If you continue to bad mouth products or members, because of your assumptions not facts, I will continue to educate others on the reasons you are wrong. If you clearly state that what you post is just your opinion, you‘ll get no guff from me. Finally read my signature and you’ll see why I can make these statements of fact.

SirMowzalot

Threads
Ok, enough with this silliness. I watch this guy every so often because he's a bit of a character and I enjoy his videos. He has a great video that covers this topic fairly well, and it's done with pure facts. If you really want to understand why one would upgrade plugs instead of starving the engine for fuel, this should explain why.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple reply. Do you truly believe that this guy is spouting facts, which apply to all products of a particular brand? I would have thought that a person as intelligent as you profess could find a better source to base your assumptions on. I can understand why you post assumptions based on opinions. The two of you then must subscribe to the theory that everything you see and read on the internet is absolutely fact and true. Should I then assume you are a paid spokesman for NKG? No, because I’m a little smarter than a spark plug And at least one other person n this planet.