IS700Z - Iridium plugs FYI

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well...... looks like we have another " I am the smartest guy in the room and on the internet".

SirKnowzaLot is just entertainment at this point.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The Champions are in the NGK boxes and sitting in my tool box because I already planned to compare them should the problem return. I also said under 5 hours because I was too lazy to go check the meter. It was more like 2.5-3 at the time of the swap. I have the exact number in a log out in the garage. I've run it 2 more times since the swap and no issues so far. I only ran it 3 times when I decided to address the rough idle. Not to mention plugs aren't the only indicator of an AF issue. There's no fuel smell, and this thing does wheelies on level grade so no acceleration issues. When there's an AF issue there are typically multiple symptoms. That's just not the case here.

But by all means, you folks can keep hoping I experience a problem to validate your own beliefs. I won't, which validates my decision to never allow third parties to touch my engines small, auto, or otherwise. But one thing to note. I knew the engine had Champions the day I brought it home. Because when I brought it home I ordered all the required parts for the next few maintenance intervals. They're in a box in a cabinet standing in my garage. That's just how I operate. I left the Champions in already expecting a problem, but hoping I'd be proven wrong. I gave them a chance. They gave me what I expected. Now I have to order another pair of NGKs for next year.

But hey, since you all make your living on how often a customer brings a machine in for service, keep right on using those Champions, lol. Same goes for oil. You keep right on using the dino-crap, and I'll keep right on using the "unnecessary" Amsoil. I'm about ready to do my first unnecessary oil change as well. Because waiting 25 hours like my dealer said on a brand new engine with dino in it makes about as much sense as waiting to get shot before putting on a vest.
commenting on the oil change, it is best to use Dino oil during break in, because the piston rings will take longer to seat with synthetic, since it tends to be slippery-er since the rings need to bed into the cylinder., since synthetic tends to make the parts slip on the oil as opposed to conventional... once the parts develop a wear pattern together, then you can go to synthetic. and AmsOil is definitely a good choice for synthetic..
just my honest opinion..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I guess I lose this one, as I’m definitely not close to the smartest guy on this forum. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, if anyone remembers that commercial.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
commenting on the oil change, it is best to use Dino oil during break in, because the piston rings will take longer to seat with synthetic, since it tends to be slippery-er since the rings need to bed into the cylinder., since synthetic tends to make the parts slip on the oil as opposed to conventional... once the parts develop a wear pattern together, then you can go to synthetic. and AmsOil is definitely a good choice for synthetic..
just my honest opinion..
I'd have to disagree about synthetic oils being slicker. Nothing meant by my last statement.

My reasoning is there are a lot of cars on factory fills of synthetic oil. Think what you are referring to is an old and inaccurate wives' tale.

Modern dino oil is pretty darm good compared to oil from the 50's and 60's. Most are group 3, very good stuff. In the States, synthetic oil printed on the bottle means nothing. In Europe is truely does. Thanks to the idiots and our lame court system, companies can call it synthetic with hardly any real synthetic anything inside. Notice how cheap Mobil 1 is at walmart? Now go price Redline (real synthetic). See the massive price difference? Course you could say walmart makes them lower the price to keep our prices down.......

Use dino at break in or after. We will never notice a difference other than lightening your wallet.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're kidding now, right? I assure you, you "calling me out" was never a second thought. You couldn't possibly matter less to me without pharmaceuticals. It's called stating the obvious. Most people got it the first time they read it, but with you I seem to have hit a nerve, lol. Folks can derive from that what they will but I've certainly seen enough to draw my own conclusions.
So what does your new plug look like now? I bet a wooden nickle it is black. But hey I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm just referring to what i've experienced ... briggs intek 19hp. "Hey, i put i BRAND new engine on my mower, it's blowing quite a bit of smoke at start up" "what oil are you using?"
"*starts with M ends with 1 10W30",,, "change it out to a good quality 10W-30 conventional oil and a new filter and call me back" ...........few days later, "hey i changed the oil to conventional, it blew smoke on the first start up, virtually none since... hasn't blown smoke near as much since i switched. just a slight puff". (valvoline 1030 was used if i remember right).... "Okay, great, glad i could help"
i believe he got to around 8 hours of mowing time and it completely quit burping out a little puff of smoke with the conventional.... he switched to Synthetic at 20 or 25 hours.... and it did fine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm just referring to what i've experienced ... briggs intek 19hp. "Hey, i put i BRAND new engine on my mower, it's blowing quite a bit of smoke at start up" "what oil are you using?"
"*starts with M ends with 1 10W30",,, "change it out to a good quality 10W-30 conventional oil and a new filter and call me back" ...........few days later, "hey i changed the oil to conventional, it blew smoke on the first start up, virtually none since... hasn't blown smoke near as much since i switched. just a slight puff". (valvoline 1030 was used if i remember right).... "Okay, great, glad i could help"
i believe he got to around 8 hours of mowing time and it completely quit burping out a little puff of smoke with the conventional.... he switched to Synthetic at 20 or 25 hours.... and it did fine.
All engines will puff when new. Rings are not seated yet. Not seeing any evidence of an oil issue.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I know that... that intek puffed what i would say "more than normal" with synthetic... after he switched to Conventional, not near as much, then eventually none.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
that one puffed even more with synthetic.
I read what you said but the hours and oil swap came into play. Show me a guy that initially filled with synthetic with 10 hours plus and smokes. Synthetic oils actually seal the rings better so they say.... Keep rolling the dice.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
tenor.gif

Keep rolling the dice.

slomo