Impact driver vs impact wrench

rigoletto

Threads
What's the number of the spindle and the model number of the mower.

618-0138. I am meticulous about records, and part #'s. That is also the # he advertised. Do we really need SN's? Never needed it in the past......

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
618-0138. I am meticulous about records, and part #'s. That is also the # he advertised. Do we really need SN's? Never needed it in the past......
You really do need the model number and serial number of the mower. Parts are updated and/or other manufacturers may begin producing the part.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes sir, it's hard to tell you exactly what to do and what parts are proper without knowing what the part is going on.

rigoletto

Threads
Good to know. Never knew that, and never had such a problem with ordering parts for my very old mower. also, if you provide parts and have a website for such shouldnt the supplier insist on a SN and model #? How sloppy.

I still done understand. Even if parts are different doesnt that mean one has to swap our all mower parts, meaning, I have 2 spindles, so now I have to scrap the (still) good one, and install newer different profile parts to make them both match? Not to mention the main crankshaft pulley. This is to new to me, people.

Anyway, I appreciate your input and feedback for my problem.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you order parts for your car, most times you have to provide the VIN. Why? Because, there could be an updated part? Same with your mower. I never order parts from Fleabay. Too many counterfeit parts there.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Working off of the part number that your provided 618-0138, I looked up the Rotary replacement spindle.It’s total length is 6”. Rotary item #9288.
Stens lists a similar spindle that is also 6” in total length.
Stens part #285-119
Here’s a genuine MTD part #918-0138C
Now are you starting to see what’s going on with ordering parts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just like every other assembly plant things happen
Things like the spindle supplier no longer making that part
or a redesign because Fred Fool just cut his hand off & sued for damages .
Most spindles come in a variety of lengths and finding the exact right one needs consultation to both the IPL & the dealer updates.
Now most of the better on line retailers subscribe to ARL for the IPL's that you see on screen
ARL are not particularly good about updating older diagrams to include updates & superceeded parts or part numbers
This is why people like myself always check the dimensions before we order and after that part arrives because you can also get the wrong part in the right package and this is particularly the case for belts .
So you should get back to the retailer & tell them that the part they supplied is not the same as the part it is replacing
Most retailers will happily exchange them , if there is no damage so they can sell it latter for full retail price .
However if you asked for part # 123456 & they supplied part # 123456 and it is the correct # 123456 then don't expect them to loose money by paying freight
On line parts shops are not required to provide a free parts finder service & they pay quite a lot to allow you to access the data base they subscribe to
But it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the IPL is correct for your mower
FWIW, this is a link to one of my wholesalers MTD Spindles
As you will see from the images there are a lot of subtle variations and if you hit the more button you will see all of the models that the particular spindle fits and there is a lot of overlap
The overlap is the models that could have either spindle

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just like every other assembly plant things happen
Things like the spindle supplier no longer making that part
or a redesign because Fred Fool just cut his hand off & sued for damages .
Most spindles come in a variety of lengths and finding the exact right one needs consultation to both the IPL & the dealer updates.
Now most of the better on line retailers subscribe to ARD for the IPL's that you see on screen
ARL are not particularly good about updating older diagrams to include updates & superceeded parts or part numbers
This is why people like myself always check the dimensions before we order and after that part arrives because you can also get the wrong part in the right package and this is particularly the case for belts .
So you should get back to the retailer & tell them that the part they supplied is not the same as the part it is replacing
Most retailers will happily exchange them , if there is no damage so they can sell it latter for full retail price .
However if you asked for part # 123456 & they supplied part # 123456 and it is the correct # 123456 then don't expect them to loose money by paying freight
On line parts shops are not required to provide a free parts finder service & they pay quite a lot to allow you to access the data base they subscribe to
But it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the IPL is correct for your mower
FWIW, this is a link to one of my wholesalers MTD Spindles
As you will see from the images there are a lot of subtle variations and if you hit the more button you will see all of the models that the particular spindle fits
Exactly!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Owners of equipment just don't to understand that we need model and serial numbers from the serial number tags. As said there is a lot variations over the years. If all equipment used the same parts we all would get pretty boring all the same looking equipment. It would like living on a planet where everything is copy of everything else.

rigoletto

Threads
Working off of the part number that your provided 618-0138, I looked up the Rotary replacement spindle.It’s total length is 6”. Rotary item #9288.
Stens lists a similar spindle that is also 6” in total length.
Stens part #285-119
Here’s a genuine MTD part #918-0138C
Now are you starting to see what’s going on with ordering parts?

Wow, I didnt know! So, clicking the 1st site, I now learned I can buy just a shaft as the rest of the spindle is good, just the shaft is chewed up. I will call them tomorrow when they open and inquire how to buy one. I also will keep this link (and the other 3) for future reference. And thanks for doing much research work for my part.

Thanks, Mpar!