Impact driver vs impact wrench

rigoletto

Threads
People,
MTD rider, bought a new spindle, and need to remove the pulley and put on the new one. I have an impact wrench with socket and wondering if anyone here ever had luck doing this as opposed to using an impact (air powered) wrench.

Thanks, people.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
with old spindle still on the deck with the blade mounted block the blade and use a pull bar to loosen the nut. Note this nut need to be torqued to 90 ft/lbs on the new spindle as well the blade nut to the same torque spec.

I don't think hammer type impact driver will work; unless you can solidly block any spindle shaft movement.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was thinking more in the line of the ones that you hold and smack with a hammer ie the manual version. Never really had any luck with the one I tried out years ago.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many auto parts stores have loaner programs where for a refundable deposit you can can get an impact gun. Why buy one if you are going to only use it once a year.

rigoletto

Threads
Good to know, people. I will let you know how it all ends soon........

rigoletto

Threads
Got the new spindle, and the length of the shaft is longer than my original one. Yet, on the site from the supplier the # matches the MTD #. Should I complain to the seller? Could this still work? I fear the different length will elevate the pulley higher, and the belt will not work right, or even spin/fall off the track.

rigoletto

Threads
Old shaft is 5 7/8". new is 6 1/2".

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What's the number of the spindle and the model number of the mower.