I moved (again)

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When a customer asks if they can make payments I'll tell them "Yes, I take payments. And when the payments are all paid, you can have your equipment."

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When a customer asks if they can make payments I'll tell them "Yes, I take payments. And when the payments are all paid, you can have your equipment."
Yelp that the way I had to go too as they will otherwise just make a partial payment just to get their equipment and then stick you for the rest.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had to put an end to it a few years ago when a customer left owing some money. Didn't pay me within the promised week. So the next time he came in with something else, I held both of his mowers til the balance was paid. He found the money to pay me, pretty quick when I told him he had to get to a zero balance before he could get either of them.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll tell you folks, it's gonna be great to get back to work. So far it's been cleaning up the shop, sorting the parts I have, trying to get things in order.
The shops big compressor pump went out and I couldn't find the right one, right away, so I picked up a 20 gallon from HF.
That should do me for a while.
Gonna get a double 20 breaker today for the lift and some work orders. Then I should be able to just start fixing stuff.
I need to find an old desk, so I can sit and do carbs.

Holy hell. The more I think about this, the more I realize I need. LoL

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yelp those wish lists to get long sometimes. Just keep your growth at a manageable level. That why I don't advertise here.

As for the compressor I have been running a 25 gallon one for years. Several years ago it was looking like I needed a bigger set then I switch over to Air Cat tools that are more powerful but used less CFM with them being quieter too. Now air guns still take a lot CFM but just the nature of them. One of things you can do is too switch from those M or L couplers to high flow V style coupler and plugs. Those M's were my best problem with air flow problems. I recommend V over other hi flow because if you need to use a tool that still has M style it is possible as the V couplers are dual use though the M's adapters will leaks are the V o-rings wear.

As for tools I start out the basic hand tools and add as I needed things. Currently my work bench is three 4x4 across the 17 cu ft utility trailer with 1x6 tongue and groove planks nailed to them. Yes I do most of my work outdoors. No way to work in the shop as it is only 24 x 24 building that is full parts and tools. I started out with one 26" tool box and now got two sets 44" top and bottom boxes along a set of 26" top and bottom boxes. Even now I am needing to add tool boxes.

Parts is your second biggest expensive behind tools. Just keep it at a manageable level too; otherwords, don't go hog wild buying parts. Yes if you got a particular part you use a lot then yes extra of it. When I first I did buy several starters and even after 10 years I still got most of them but the rest of the current stock usually is rotated out within a year. Just don't items for older equipment as they die off leaving you stuck with the parts; unless, sell them on eBay as NOS parts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yelp those wish lists to get long sometimes. Just keep your growth at a manageable level. That why I don't advertise here.

As for the compressor I have been running a 25 gallon one for years. Several years ago it was looking like I needed a bigger set then I switch over to Air Cat tools that are more powerful but used less CFM with them being quieter too. Now air guns still take a lot CFM but just the nature of them. One of things you can do is too switch from those M or L couplers to high flow V style coupler and plugs. Those M's were my best problem with air flow problems. I recommend V over other hi flow because if you need to use a tool that still has M style it is possible as the V couplers are dual use though the M's adapters will leaks are the V o-rings wear.

As for tools I start out the basic hand tools and add as I needed things. Currently my work bench is three 4x4 across the 17 cu ft utility trailer with 1x6 tongue and groove planks nailed to them. Yes I do most of my work outdoors. No way to work in the shop as it is only 24 x 24 building that is full parts and tools. I started out with one 26" tool box and now got two sets 44" top and bottom boxes along a set of 26" top and bottom boxes. Even now I am needing to add tool boxes.

Parts is your second biggest expensive behind tools. Just keep it at a manageable level too; otherwords, don't go hog wild buying parts. Yes if you got a particular part you use a lot then yes extra of it. When I first I did buy several starters and even after 10 years I still got most of them but the rest of the current stock usually is rotated out within a year. Just don't items for older equipment as they die off leaving you stuck with the parts; unless, sell them on eBay as NOS parts.

i went to an auction at a failed truck repair workshop to buy some tool boxes
What I saw there made a big difference to my workshop.
They had a very big external air compressor and had plumbed the workshop in 2" blue line plastic water pipe.
Those compression fittings are supposed to be good for 150 PSI and I had a lot of 1" fittings left over from another job, so plumbed the workshop with 10 air outlets inside & 4 outside.
One of the best things I have ever done and one of the easiest .
We bought a 100 gallon air reciever from a closed down petrol station & hooked it up to a Hydrovane compressor we bought at another auction .
This is a very quiet compressor and being 3 phase runs for about 2 minutes to fill the tank.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Luckily, I think I have enough tools now to do most jobs. I've been collecting since I got into this about 5 years ago. The ones I really enjoy are the ones I inherited from my dad. The same ones he used back in the late 60's and 70's. Every time I use one, I think of him. The box I'm using, both top and bottom is 26.5" X about 57". Plus it has a lot of drawers that are full to the max.
While at HF yesterday, I think I got a little drool on one of their fancy tool boxes. lol

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it was one the US General tool boxes they built fairly heavy especially at 300 + lbs empty. They recently made them deeper. Since I am by myself that that 2 ton engine crane came in handy unloading them.

HFT seem to only put the cabinets on sale and rarely put the tool chest (top box) on sale.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can say the HF boxes are pretty good. Unloading the lower cabinet was a bear. Had to get neighbor's tractor with a loader to get it off the pickup truck. My engine lift didn't go high enough.1589467145151.jpg