I moved (again)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Trying not to more again would help.

And you got to have fairly deep pockets to go hog wild; otherwise, like me it was a slow go to get things on hand but that allow me to figure out what I needed as the last move here which was only 6 miles changed the whole equipment base around. Plus some things are now too costly to repair anymore so I don't need to stock parts for those any more so sale out the current stock I am not replacing it.

I just know there are a**holes out there that just like to cause trouble for the kicks which is why recommend at least the business license. When I first started nearly everyone that came in was looking for something for nothing. Some still do that why I quit trying to recondition used equipment for resale. When you nearly $400 in parts in a rider that you have for $525 including taxes with a 90 day warranty and some jerk tells you the most he will pay for it is $125, it is a real insult. Just to keep from any more insults I just parted out the mower. That was last year before economy tanked.

Using a bin system works. Things like the Zama and Walbro parts here are in my 2C 18 storage bin with Walbro in 2C-WAL1 1gal storage container, then there is the two Zama containers 2C-ZAM1 and 2C-ZAM2.

2C-WAL1 157 items $326 in cost
2C-ZAM1 130 items $383 in cost
2C-ZAM2 328 items $536 in cost

Of course there are multiple items of some part number in those bins due high usage. And I about to add a WAL2 and a ZAM3 to bin which means I will need to the MISC1-3 bins there to a new bin and probably rename them. And yes it takes a few minutes to the desire bin for the desired part but it is a lot easier than going through the whole 18 gal container every time I need a part.

And not counting the other 6 to 8 containers that is also in that bin. So as you can see things can add up rather quickly. At least I know if and where I have the parts is a big plus, keeps from ordering thing when I got them on hand except on re-stock orders.

Probably explains why I got 57K in parts and still have to order parts like the JD parts I have on order now for a couple Z830A ZTRs that on one I just did a triple electrical bypass on due to the ECU partially failing. It lost the fuel solenoid and PTO circuits along an extra mod I added to the starting circuit to prevent engine starting with the PTO engaged. Still runs as intended and dies when the operator leaves the seat even the brake engaged if the PTO is operating. Be surprised what $15 in parts can do to make repairs a $200 ECU problem and still have the safety system nearly 100% as intended. Just can't crank it up until the JD parts get in due anti rotate stud missing on the PTO clutch which cause the ECU failure in the first place.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I have to put that much into a used mower, It's gonna be a newer up to date zero turn. Any regular mower, I would never put that much into one. In fact, somewhere around $200, including the mower is about my limit. Otherwise it gets used for parts or stripped of seats, wiring harness and other things I can use, and then scrapped.

BTW, I had the competition (my old boss) send a spy down to my shop today. Asking me some some oddball questions about some 4 wheeler. But I know he was just checking up on the new shop in town. He'd go from talking about this 4 wheeler to questions about the shop and me. I remember the guy because he would come into the other shop about 4 times a week just to chat with the owner.
Finally I asked him how my old boss was doing. Reminded him that I recognized him. and just stayed on that subject til he finally left. Which wasn't long after I realized what he was doing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The shelving & racking in my workshop came from a liquidation auction again at a knock down price.
Peanut butter jars, take away food containers , ice cream tubs,
. anything can be used to store things.
Do they have thrift shops in that town ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm most my 24x48x72 shelving here I made out of thrown away bed rails and thrown away water bed plywood. I actually had to leave some behind when I moved due to a jerk of a brother. Only had three weeks to move everything by myself. One of the steel work benches apparently was someone's school project. Only had three legs and wasn't stable but is now.

I still pickup the bed rails and plywood when ever I run across them. Never know when I going them again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Work benches are generally topped with timber salvaged from hardwood pallets.
Steel bed rails have long gone from Aust have not seen one on the roadside for decades.
When Futon beds became unpopular I picked up dozens of them so some of the racking has become shelving using futon slats.
Unfortunately nearly all of the furnature round here is either MDF or Chipboard, materials that are useless when new & just as bad when damaged & thrown out .
Gees , we could almost be twins I love making stuff from throw aways.
When I take things in for service I look at the workshop.
When I see a large area lit with excessive amounts of mercury vapour lamps and walls covered with matching tool chest and branded shadow boards I walk away to find a real workshop.
People often comment about my cramped & apparently dissorgaized workshop .
I remind them that every square inch of the expansive work shops in town are rented and they are the ones paying that rent on every job they drop in .