Hydrostatic transmission problem?

Rosey

Threads
Yes, I already had an independent mechanic who's full time job is care of all the equipment, servicing and repairs, for a huge cemetetery. He's the one who thought it was a gear or something in the tranny. He's very trustworthy but can't fix hydros. He did not think there was a problem with either belts or idler pulleys. You think they should be changed out anyway?
The mechanic Art, also told me to hang on to the tractor in case he comes across another one with a blown motor that has a good rear end he could swap out for me.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I'd add, wild guess. Brake? This hydro has an external disc type brake and it's not closed or covered. Might check into that before doing anything radical. That transmission is an expensive proposition.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem we have is we only have the words you posted to use to make a diagnosis .
One persons squeak is anothers grind is anothers squeal .
It is rare for a hydro to squeal unless there is no oil in it or the input bearing is shot.

So you got my best advice based on what was previously posted.
Now that there is more information about the person who diagnosed it I might review my original advise

However if you like the mower & want to keep it and the mower itself is in good working order I would still do belts & pulleys .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some audio would be a distinct advantage to diagnoosis

Richie F

Threads
My post #3 has a video of what's inside the rear.
Anybody that is mechanically inclined can take it apart and inspect/fix it.
The unit might be low on oil, that's why I asked if there was any leaks.
There should be a info tag on the rear.
Knowing that info you can find used rears on EBay.

Rosey

Threads
Could you give the numbers off the machine so the belt/pulley system could be looked at ?
Squeal to me first off is a belt.
Why to you think it's the hydrostatic trans that's making the noise ?
Does the unit look dry or is there an oil leak from it ?

Here's video to get some education on the unit.
It starts at 03:16
I have access to a rebuilt K51A transmission from an individual for a Scott's 1642 for a couple hundred dollars. How can I tell if it is a functioning unit?

Rosey

Threads
It does sound like the trans is bad. The high pitched whining noise is the fluid bypassing the pistons in the pump at supersonic speed. The trans at a minimum needs the pump and motor assemblies replaced. Not a simple task.

Hi, I actually found a rebuilt Tuff Torq K51A rebuilt transmission available for a couple hundred dollars about 70 miles from me. Is there a way to test it before purchase?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The video shows trans operating with no load so very low pressure in the pump. This test won't show a bad trans with bad pump and motor.

Rosey

Threads
Look at this.
Thanks Richie. I doubt the seller will have it hooked up to the wheels. Is that necessary to test it? Does the transmission include the transaxle?