Hydrostatic transmission problem?

Rosey

Threads
I know. I'm just skeptical that if the noise is a sharp loud squeal (which is common when this trans is low\out of fluid) I would suspect low on fluid. You don't don't get a sharp squeal noise from parts submerged in oil(very muffled if any).

My Deere has the exact same trans. I found out on mine, the plug on top where the gear and hydraulics sections connect, there is a filter(i think that is what it is supposed to be) oil would barely flow through this into the hydraulic side.

I drilled and tapped drain plugs on mine. When mine wouldn't go, upon draining it, not much came out the hydraulic side. I THOUGHT i poured in 20oz(or whatever it was supposed to be) but i learned i didn't when i drained it to open it again when mine barely moved.

If the person who serviced it just pulled the plug out and poured fluid in until it was "full" and called it a day, maybe this one was like mine(it is the same model as min but don't know if the filter did the same as mine)- no fluid went to the hydraulic side.
My guess..
I know. I'm just skeptical that if the noise is a sharp loud squeal (which is common when this trans is low\out of fluid) I would suspect low on fluid. You don't don't get a sharp squeal noise from parts submerged in oil(very muffled if any).

My Deere has the exact same trans. I found out on mine, the plug on top where the gear and hydraulics sections connect, there is a filter(i think that is what it is supposed to be) oil would barely flow through this into the hydraulic side.

I drilled and tapped drain plugs on mine. When mine wouldn't go, upon draining it, not much came out the hydraulic side. I THOUGHT i poured in 20oz(or whatever it was supposed to be) but i learned i didn't when i drained it to open it again when mine barely moved.

If the person who serviced it just pulled the plug out and poured fluid in until it was "full" and called it a day, maybe this one was like mine(it is the same model as min but don't know if the filter did the same as mine)- no fluid went to the hydraulic side.
My guess..
This is the sellers response to the fluid topic. "I see you have done your homework! I like that you took the time to find out before you plunged..not that I am trying to turn you off repairing yours (after all I have a transmission for sale). You are right about filling with oil and most people forget to remove the filter before they fill and this will cause only one side of the transmission to fill and when its put into the tractor the oil distribute to the unfilled portion and low oil gives no drive. "

Richie F

Threads
There are many youtube videos on how to put oil in the axel.
A lot say pull the unit out to do it, but with some brain power putting oil in it in the machine can be done.
Yes, cutting up the top by the battery is how to do it.
Member upupandaway gave a suggestion on Pg. 4 post #32.
Me myself and I, would try to get to the other plug because the one he is talking about it the breather and can be damaged if removed and then a new one has to be bought.
Any which way you are going to have someone do the repair.
Stop the confusion and decide what you want to do.