Hydrostatic transmission problem?

Rosey

Threads
Scotts 1642 lawn tractor was running and cutting fine. With last use, started to squeal in forward gear. I could use it for a time at the slowest (really slow) speed then after three rows of mowing, the noise started again and the engine conked out. Cannot go up any incline without the mower screaming. I had the mower looked at by a professional who believes the problem is internal. He checked the belts and pulleys and other stuff. He has no knowledge of hydrostatic trannys. I started it and drove it to the shed SLOWLY but then had to push it up the ramp. The machine is old but looks great and was mowing great. Is it worth fixing? I bought it used 2 yrs ago at a good price. Has bagger and mulching capabilities. Thank you. Rosey.

gotomow

Threads
Is it worth fixing? Who knows. How much do you like it? Does it meet your needs? What did you pay for it? How much would a mower either new or used cost to replace this one cost? You have a Tuff Torq K51 transmission. Scout around for someone familiar with hydrostatic transmissions in your area and ask them what a ballpark repair bill would be to repair or replace and then YOU make the call.

Last edited:

Richie F

Threads
Could you give the numbers off the machine so the belt/pulley system could be looked at ?
Squeal to me first off is a belt.
Why to you think it's the hydrostatic trans that's making the noise ?
Does the unit look dry or is there an oil leak from it ?

Here's video to get some education on the unit.
It starts at 03:16

Last edited:

Mower King

Threads
Scotts 1642 lawn tractor was running and cutting fine. With last use, started to squeal in forward gear. I could use it for a time at the slowest (really slow) speed then after three rows of mowing, the noise started again and the engine conked out. Cannot go up any incline without the mower screaming. I had the mower looked at by a professional who believes the problem is internal. He checked the belts and pulleys and other stuff. He has no knowledge of hydrostatic trannys. I started it and drove it to the shed SLOWLY but then had to push it up the ramp. The machine is old but looks great and was mowing great. Is it worth fixing? I bought it used 2 yrs ago at a good price. Has bagger and mulching capabilities. Thank you. Rosey.
Only you know if it's worth fixing.....you are looking at it and have driven it, we have not. Some are worth fixing, while others are not cost effective to fix but, only you can make that decision!

Rosey

Threads
Could you give the numbers off the machine so the belt/pulley system could be looked at ?
Squeal to me first off is a belt.
Why to you think it's the hydrostatic trans that's making the noise ?
Does the unit look dry or is there an oil leak from it ?

Here's video to get some education on the unit.
It starts at 03:16

Rosey

Threads
Thank you Richie. Here are the numbers I can see:

Scott's Model 1642H

Product ID # GX1442S132505

On air cleaner serial number of engine maybe 3034702233

The tractor was gone over by a skilled mechanic. He did not see a belt problem or anything else that would keep the tractor from moving. . He said that the problem is "internal" and that he does not know anything about hydro transmissions. Said it needs a new "rear end." Is there a belt within the transmission that you are referring to that would not be visible without disassembly? I think the tranny may be under the battery which is under the seat. I can't see to provide a number for that.

Rosey

Threads
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. There is no leak.

Rosey

Threads
Only you know if it's worth fixing.....you are looking at it and have driven it, we have not. Some are worth fixing, while others are not cost effective to fix but, only you can make that decision!

Rosey

Threads
Yes, I like the machine. It fits me well for size and does a nice job. Just wish I knew what's involved with a repair, and at what cost since I can't do it myself. I only paid $270 for it!

gotomow

Threads
There is a deck belt and a belt that goes to the hydro tranny. If there is some issue with that belt it could affect the transmission performance