Hydrostatic transmission problem?

Rosey

Threads
Thanks Richie. I doubt the seller will have it hooked up to the wheels. Is that necessary to test it? Does the transmission include the transaxle?
Richie, I got this reply from the seller of the rebuilt tranny. Hi, thanks for your inquiry. The transmission was removed from a 2001 or 2002 Scotts 1642H tractor (bought from Home Depot by me) to replace the input shaft, bearings and oil seal and has been totally repaired and filled with new oil. To install the transmission you would need to jack up the rear of the tractor, removing the rear wheels, etc. JD does not make many of the parts it uses on its tractors and Tuff-Torq is the original supplier of the transmissions for not only the Scotts tractor range but many of the JD branded tractor too. So to answer your question - Yes it will fit.

upupandaway

Threads
The trans squealing can be caused by low oil. With low oil maybe it is foaming(thus stop working) after using it for a few minutes...
Look around the transmission. Do you see alot of oily dirt sticking the trans? That could point to leaking fluid thus being low and could explain your problem.
Do you know\have or can pay someone who has a dremel tool\ sawzall to cut out the bottom left corner of the battery holder? Right under it is the trans breather where you can add fluid (10w30 motor oil for this one) and find out if this fixes your problem pretty quick.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The seller states that the trans has been totally repaired and filled with oil but also states the only parts replaced was a shaft bearing and seal. If the seller is confident in his work without installing the trans and testing it ask what warranty he will provide. Rebuild kit for a k51 is around $250-$300 so can probably assume totally repaired means bad input shaft bearing and those parts were replaced and filled with oil. If you can get the trans cheap probably worth a shot.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Rosey

Threads
The seller states that the trans has been totally repaired and filled with oil but also states the only parts replaced was a shaft bearing and seal. If the seller is confident in his work without installing the trans and testing it ask what warranty he will provide. Rebuild kit for a k51 is around $250-$300 so can probably assume totally repaired means bad input shaft bearing and those parts were replaced and filled with oil. If you can get the trans cheap probably worth a shot.

Part seller response: It was working fine when I removed it. When I was replacing the drive belt I noticed that the pulley on the input shaft was worn and was wobbling slightly on the shaft on examination I found that the shaft showed signs of wear too hence the need to replace the shaft and pulley. My original thought was to repair it and re-install on my tractor but I just run out of time to start the cutting season so I bought another tractor. The only test that has been done is to ensure that the wheel shafts rotate, the input shaft rotates and it holds oil without leaking.. basically more than most people would do when selling used. Can I guarantee it..NO.. but I would rather junk it than pass something off that had issues. BTW I looked into trying to buy a refurbished transmission - John Deere does not service these units and they want over $700 for a replacement so its basically buy a new tractor.

He will not warranty the part.

upupandaway

Threads
The seller states that the trans has been totally repaired and filled with oil

I know. I'm just skeptical that if the noise is a sharp loud squeal (which is common when this trans is low\out of fluid) I would suspect low on fluid. You don't don't get a sharp squeal noise from parts submerged in oil(very muffled if any).

My Deere has the exact same trans. I found out on mine, the plug on top where the gear and hydraulics sections connect, there is a filter(i think that is what it is supposed to be) oil would barely flow through this into the hydraulic side.

I drilled and tapped drain plugs on mine. When mine wouldn't go, upon draining it, not much came out the hydraulic side. I THOUGHT i poured in 20oz(or whatever it was supposed to be) but i learned i didn't when i drained it to open it again when mine barely moved.

If the person who serviced it just pulled the plug out and poured fluid in until it was "full" and called it a day, maybe this one was like mine(it is the same model as min but don't know if the filter did the same as mine)- no fluid went to the hydraulic side.
My guess..

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

I have repaired or rebuilt a few hydo transaxles. If a bearing fails it usually puts grit into the fluid which ruins the pump and motor blocks. If a customer wants a hydo fixed it gets a full rebuild kit and the case throughly cleaned till spotless. Nowadays the cost to rebuild a hydro is not cost effective because most homeowner grade mowers are not worth the repair cost. Used hydos are a crap shoot. I would never pay much for one

Rosey

Threads

I have repaired or rebuilt a few hydo transaxles. If a bearing fails it usually puts grit into the fluid which ruins the pump and motor blocks. If a customer wants a hydo fixed it gets a full rebuild kit and the case throughly cleaned till spotless. Nowadays the cost to rebuild a hydro is not cost effective because most homeowner grade mowers are not worth the repair cost. Used hydos are a crap shoot. I would never pay much for on.
He wants $140 firm. I would have to travet to pick it up and then pay my mechanic to swap it out. It is a crapshoot.