HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

SamB

Threads
I was going to say something about how common the axles are at bone yards but many folks don't like replacing bad used parts with more used parts.
Oh, the axle I replaced the bearing on was still running quiet and not leaking 40,000 miles later when some kid front-ended my '87 Country Squire. I've saved that vehicle for parts. Its 3.55 rear end is limited slip and I may transplant the center section section into my rust-free '89 Crown Vic one of these days-its already got the wagon's rebuilt transmission.
Since the axle is just a hard part, single piece of steel relatively unstressed, a visual inspection is enough to justify using a salvage part.
That and of course, I used a brand new bearing and seal.
For something like a water pump, caliper ,etc no way. New is the only way to go.

SamB

Threads
99% of people post with good intentions
and of course threads can & do run off topic
But it does get confusing to the original poster .
Now I know a lot of people get the forum as a daily digest or just emails but it would really help if before they post they read the entire thread & not just add to the last message ( and I have been guilty of doing this as well on more than one occasion ) .
My face is a bit red here. Should I delete my posts on bearing quality?

goodO1boydws

Threads
Two thoughts worth remembering that are widely applicable.

“A soft word turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” (Proverbs, 15:1)

Wise people learn from others; some learn only from their own experience; fools won’t learn.

(I endeavour to always be a member in good stead of the first group-although always successfully.)

SamB

Threads
Two thoughts worth remembering that are widely applicable.

“A soft word turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” (Proverbs, 15:1)

Wise people learn from others; some learn only from their own experience; fools won’t learn.

(I endeavour to always be a member in good stead of the first group-although always successfully.)
(I endeavour to always be a member in good stead of the first group-although not always successfully.)
As do I.
I suppose our bearings discussion perhaps, needed to be on the front porch.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Threads do take on a life of their own
But it is good for the OP if it occasionally comes back to the original problem
So we can drop most of what has been talked about and wait to see what Baseaddict69 does next
OTOH if this threads side lines have sparked some thing that any one feels requires further off topic discussion then they are more then welcome to start a new thread and see where that leads.
It is after all an open public forum designed for the purpose of allowing people to find things out, express opinions and for others to express counter opinions in a civalized manner , moderated very well to allow as much freedom as possible without bias or jingoism that seems so pervasive on so many forums that originate in the USA .( the ghost of McCarthy lives on .)

bassadict69

Threads
NO do not delete anything! There is some amazing info here!

I have tried most everything mentioned and still cannot break things free...my next trip to WalMart, I may try to find the stuff mentioned to break up the rust and separate the metals (don't kill me if that isn't an accurate description! LOL!) but, I have ordered 3 new spindles from 8ten. If I can break the spindles loose, I plan to change the bearings (Timken all the way) and keep them for spares.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

I have tried most everything mentioned and still cannot break things free...my next trip to WalMart, I may try to find the stuff mentioned to break up the rust and separate the metals (don't kill me if that isn't an accurate description! LOL!) but, I have ordered 3 new spindles from 8ten. If I can break the spindles loose, I plan to change the bearings (Timken all the way) and keep them for spares.
Plus some things are bonded so much that it is virtually impossible to separate them. Shop like mine have to give up at time due cost vs replacement becomes a factor. I wish I could fix everything easily too but it not possible at times. Just have lump it and go on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I will repeat the suggestion given before.
Yesterday we gave up on splitting the crankshaft on a motorcycle engine so today it is off to a workshop which has more special tools than we have for a $ 120 strip down .
Some times things just have to be sent to a better equiped workshop
For the parklander & Zomm spindles I had to grind down an big impact socket to make a pin socket to fit in the holes and even then we had to use the 1' drive rattle gun, which has 8 times the torque of my 1/2" gun which was the biggest gun available at the time .To power the 1" gun I need to fire up the Boomwade compressor ( construction jackhammer tool ) .
None of these are what one would expect to find in a mower workshop let alone a residential garage.
There will be some jobs that you will just not be able to do but a professional shop will do with ease because they have the tools on hand .

bassadict69

Threads
I will repeat the suggestion given before.
Yesterday we gave up on splitting the crankshaft on a motorcycle engine so today it is off to a workshop which has more special tools than we have for a $ 120 strip down .
Some times things just have to be sent to a better equiped workshop
For the parklander & Zomm spindles I had to grind down an big impact socket to make a pin socket to fit in the holes and even then we had to use the 1' drive rattle gun, which has 8 times the torque of my 1/2" gun which was the biggest gun available at the time .To power the 1" gun I need to fire up the Boomwade compressor ( construction jackhammer tool ) .
None of these are what one would expect to find in a mower workshop let alone a residential garage.
There will be some jobs that you will just not be able to do but a professional shop will do with ease because they have the tools on hand .
For me it's simply a time issue more than anything...working 12 hours days makes it hard to get to a shop that has the tools needed and will do the work. I'm sure I'd have to leave it with them then pick it up on another day, so that's two days I have to find free time to get to town to get to the shop.