HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

bassadict69

Threads
My deck is REALLY loud when the blades are engaged and I pretty sure it's the pulley bearings or spindle bearings. I would like to change them all...do all the bearings have bearings? Just trying to formulate a parts list before I get a chance to pull the mower out and look things over.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well go to the Ariens/ gravely web site & download the parts manual
Each spindle has 2 bearings that are a light press fit
The pulleys have captive bearings that are not replaceable so you swap them out ,
Some times you can get the rubber seal out, clean & relube them in which case you do that then sit them on the shelf for "emergency spares" because pulleys always seem to collapse the day before you mother in law is coming for her annual inspection , your son is having his 21st birthday party at home or your daughter is having a back yard wedding :cry:
Mowers just seem to know these things.

bassadict69

Threads
The spindle bearings are easy to change?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Like bert said, most likely the idler pulleys and spindles.
I haven't replaced any bearings in that particular spindle, but IF they're like most spindles, you remove the pulley, knock the shaft out, punch out the top and bottom bearings, usually a metal space in between the bearings, press the new bearings in, (usually they're set in just below flush. some have a ridge they butt up against to stop them, use a block of wood or an appropriately sized socket to hit on the outer race of the bearing, do not drive them in by hitting the center race)
Yikes, $$$
you can get a good Stens spindle for $80 each https://www.amazon.com/Stens-285-300-Spindle-Assembly-Black/dp/B004HSFDN0

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The bearings are replaceable but you need to determine which were used. I suspect they are CSA205-16 (RA100RR) bearings but could be RA100RR7 both were used. The CSA205-16 were use in the last few of these spindles I rebuilt here. The bearing I used were only $6 each.
1673766209087.png
You just toss the locking collar that comes with the bearings.
1673766542738.png

If I remember correctly the lower bearing are held in place by a snap ring. May need to adjust the spacer height with a grinder. Here it is less than a 1/16" off.

Last edited:

bassadict69

Threads
Thanks everyone for the help!

Stens is a good reliable brand?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
But there is no magic pudding so the less expensive Stens bearings are not as good as the Timkins used in the video .
The video was very good with one BIG exception
While you can drive the bearings out by hammering on the inner race, installation should only ever be by hitting the OUTER race as using the inner hammers the balls into the races which can and DOES damage both the balls and the races.
Now that I know the type of bearings used I would drill the housing and fit a grease nipple.
The metal shields do not make a water tight seal so the grease will pass by the shield and keep the bearings lubricated .
Just do not overdo it.
I normally fit one bearing against the clip/ stop as he did then the spacer & shaft ( same same ) followed by filling the void with grease up to the spot where the second bearing would sit
As the second bearing is pushed down you will feel some resistance caused by the air compressing then passing through the bearing SLOWLY ( can take a few minutes ).
Once the other bearing is in then as per the video , remove & grease the spindle ( or put a hole in the spacer and a grove across each end so the grease in the housing can get in ) The retainer on the bottom gets a dab of never sieze ( not grease ) so it will come out easy next time .
I normally do bearings with the spindle housing in the deck as the mounting bolts tend to rust into the housing & break . Worse with aluminium housings than with steel housings .
Once fitted, one stroke and one only of your grease gun each season should keep the spindle happy for a decade or more .
FWIW the discharge side bearings usually go first & on commercial customers I generally do 2 discharge sides for every complete set .

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I don't about Stens quality now but the JD Spindle clones are failing while still under warranty here So far the customer is two for two on them failing under 6 months. Go things Stens is giving me one year warranty on them. Just install a third spindle and will how it goes. I know I get at least three months as it won't be used until Spring.

First one failed due assembly was assembled wrong. Second one fail when the install pulley adapter nut and the adapter stripped themselves out.

Not good when they are the first spindles I have brought from them.