HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

bassadict69

Threads
ok guys, I got my new spindles in and they came with new bolts and washers. All of the washers are flat, but one of the old ones is sort of lipped so part of it fits into the pulley, if that makes any sense...do I reuse this old one? or use the new flat one?

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It may be the new spindle shafts are longer and no longer need the stepped washer to limited the applied force but that something the OP will just have see for themselves.

bassadict69

Threads
It may be the new spindle shafts are longer and no longer need the stepped washer to limited the applied force but that something the OP will just have see for themselves.
That is the new spindle/shaft in the pic...the stepped washer still fits it perfectly.

SamB

Threads
ok guys, I got my new spindles in and they came with new bolts and washers. All of the washers are flat, but one of the old ones is sort of lipped so part of it fits into the pulley, if that makes any sense...do I reuse this old one? or use the new flat one?
Use the flat one. However, If it were me, I'd flip the stepped washer over and use it as a flat washer. That's a pretty special washer and you may need it, now or in the future. That way. you'll still have it and know where it is. :-D
p.s. that is if the recess is too shallow for the 'step' to effectively clamp the pulley down on the spindle. otherwise use it the way it came off.

Last edited:

bullet bob

Threads
Since you asked, and I'm certainly no authority, I'd reuse it. Looks like a perfect fit and there's got to be a reason why it's an OEM part.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put it together and check that the spindle spins freely without a washer bridging the inner & outer race .
Then have a look at the pulley height to see if they are in alignment
Finally check there is some clearance between the bits that are spinning & the bits that are not spinning .

SamB

Threads
Put it together and check that the spindle spins freely without a washer bridging the inner & outer race .
Then have a look at the pulley height to see if they are in alignment
Finally check there is some clearance between the bits that are spinning & the bits that are not spinning .
Always listen to bertsmobile1. He's Lawn Royalty for a very good reason. There are several other posters that to not take heed of their advice would at one's own peril!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can be just as wrong as the next man
But once shown to be wrong I am right from there on in till that theory is proven wrong
Comes from a scientific educational background
There are no absolute truths just the best descriptions that the current technology will allow.

As for the original poster it is confusing for them but as no one who posted actually knew the spindle assembly then it is a case of common sense and sound engineering practice .