HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

Dreaded

Threads
I purchased most of the bearings I replace from a Bearing supply store that is near me. They are a little higher quality and a little more exspensive and I have not had any issues(industrial bearings). They are mostly Timken bearings. Beware of bearings made in China and though Japan has gotten much better they are still not the greatest.
The main thing that cause bearings to go bad is the type of lawn the mower is cutting, where the mower is stored and if the mower is used in wet areas. Areas where the blade contacts the ground, roots or other objects causes bearings to fail also servicing such as keeping the mower deck clean is a must.
Allowing grass and dirt to build up on top or under the deck will allow the dirt to work its way into the bearing and cause it to fail. There is no seal that will prevent this. The seals help but do not completely stop the dirt. Also the dirt will wear the seals out making them useless.

bassadict69

Threads
Thanks everyone for all the info! After spending quite some time yesterday, along with lots of heat, lots of penetrant and even more cursing, I was unable to break down the spindle! The piece on the bottom of the spindle at the blade bolt just would not break loose! So, I will be replacing the spindle assemblies!

Freddie21

Threads
If you have to remove the spindles for any reason, the mounting bolts snap off very easy. Use penetrating oils and rock the bolts back and forth with a box end wrench. I don't use the impact until they are loosened.

goodO1boydws

Threads
Thanks everyone for all the info! After spending quite some time yesterday, along with lots of heat, lots of penetrant and even more cursing, I was unable to break down the spindle! The piece on the bottom of the spindle at the blade bolt just would not break loose! So, I will be replacing the spindle assemblies!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I looked up the model referenced (HD52, 991083), its showing WHAT APPEARS TO BE an aluminum spindle HOUSING of a standard configuration. THE DESCRIPTION MENTIONS USING SELF-TAPPING SCREWS, which is common with aluminum housings, less so with steel or cast iron parts. The housing may be thicker than many-I can't tell by looking, but the spindle and bearings would be hefty even without the housing.

If you're intending to order new spindle assemblies there are a couple more things you can try before giving up.

A steel bearing in such a housing is most likely rust bound, with the rust actually penetrating into the porous aluminum, and most standard penetrants would have a very tough time getting it loose. That;'s even if you pour in the penetrant from the top, and either block it from coming out the bottom or sit the part in a pan that keeps the penetrant in contact with the lower part of the casting-and let the part sit at least overnight or a weekend.

If you're intending to order new spindle assemblies there are a couple more things you can try before giving up.

One is heating the entire assembly and then, while its hot, using dry ice or one of the new freeze-off products on the lowest part of the spindle, protecting the housing from contact with the cold medium.

Another, if you haven't already tried it, is to completely support the spindle housing from below and SHARLPLY strike the top end of the shaft with something heavy that won't damage it-such as a dead blow hammer, or a heavy hammer with a piece of wood between the 2.

When I've used this method I first tried penetrants AND/OR HEAT (or used the product below).
i drill a hole through a piece of 2x8 or 2x10 that is just barely large enough for what's held in the lower part of the casting to pass through. If teh spindles are still on teh deck, you may meed another piece of 2x material under the first one to have the full weight of the deck holding the spindle housing in place.

Another is using a CHELATING product for steel/iron.

If you're not familiar with chelating its a process/procedure designed to work SELECTIVELY on specific metals, without harming other materials. Its most commonly used in medicine to remove toxic metals or high levels of otherwise non-toxic metals from people. Its also used inindustry.

I've been using one on rusted steel parts lately and the result have been remarkable-you might want to try it or another similar product. It ONLY WORKS ON FERROUS METALS (those containing iron)
It doesn't do any harm to aluminum, copper, brass,or other metals.

This one is safe enough to pour down a household drain, or on soil, or to immerse your hands in without harm. .Its reusable until its exhausted-just filter the iron residue out if you want.to pour it down a drain.

There is a gel formula and a liquid, I use the liquid. A quart o fteh liquid is about $14. at Walmart. I bought a gallon on Amazon for about twice that price. The gel is much more expensive.

Evapo-Rust ER012 Super Safe Rust Remover​

(HEAVILY edited)

Last edited:

bassadict69

Threads
I don't believe these spindles are aluminum...they are really heavy.

goodO1boydws

Threads
Try a magnet or a file and we'll both know.

Last edited:

SamB

Threads
Even using a top brand bearing(Timken) will not assure one of getting a USA-made bearing. I had to replace a rear axle shaft because of bearing failure. On newer Fords with 8.8 rear axles, when the bearing goes, it frequently scores the axle,as the bearing rides on the axle shaft,no inner race.
I made sure I bought a Timken bearing. The box said 'Made in Mexico'. :-(

goodO1boydws

Threads
Even using a top brand bearing(Timken) will not assure one of getting a USA-made bearing. I had to replace a rear axle shaft because of bearing failure. On newer Fords with 8.8 rear axles, when the bearing goes, it frequently scores the axle,as the bearing rides on the axle shaft,no inner race.
I made sure I bought a Timken bearing. The box said 'Made in Mexico'. :-(
You mentioned Ford 8.8 rear ends.

For reference:

When I had one of those scored axles, I found out that there is a special replacement bearing "kit" that can be used as a work-around. It repositions the bearing LATERALLY so that it doesn't touch the axle in the same place as the original bearing.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
The axle SEAL used with the bearing takes up much less WIDTH than the original one did, and both are sometimes in a single assembly.
Much less work and the bearing WAS not too pricey either.

Last edited:

bassadict69

Threads
The magnets did stick to the spindle housing...

goodO1boydws

Threads
That's great!

1. The heating/cooling method may work.
2. You can pound away and not worry about breaking an aluminum casting.
3. A chelating agent has an excellent chance of working.