Echo or Stihl??? which do u prefer

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Isn't the FS55 a home own model?

The FS55 is a residential or as Stihl says an Occasional use unit and runs the HomeScaper series engine, you can't run a comparison between it and the echo 255i which is a commercial unit and runs a commercial-grade 2-stroke engine.

Last edited:

RER28

Threads
The FS55 is a residential or as Stihl says an Occasional use unit and runs the HomeScaper series engine, you can't run a comparison between it and the echo 255i that runs a commercial-grade 2-stroke engine.

i did and it's my opinion based on real comparisons:

Stihl Website FS55r: 27.2 cc (1.66 cu.in) Displacement
.75KW (1.01) Engine Power

Echo SRM 255i: 21.2 cc engine displacement
.656 KW engine power

According to you I can't compare? I compared both and on paper the Stihl should out perform the Echo. From my experience with both, side by side as a user, I can tell you it is my opinion that the Stihl couldn't hold a candle to the Echo for exactly the reasons I stated above in my original post. thanks for your try anyway.

Last edited:

RER28

Threads
also, reading through this particular thread it appears that satisfied ECHO users and buyers outnumber the stihl users for various reasons.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
i did and it's my opinion based on real comparisons:

Stihl Website FS55r: 27.2 cc (1.66 cu.in) Displacement
.75KW (1.01) Engine Power

Echo SRM 255i: 21.2 cc engine displacement
.656 KW engine power

According to you I can't compare? I compared both and on paper the Stihl should out perform the Echo. From my experience with both, side by side as a user, I can tell you it is my opinion that the Stihl couldn't hold a candle to the Echo for exactly the reasons I stated above in my original post. thanks for your try anyway.

Yes I know about the size of both engines but I also know you can't compare the HomeScaper series engine which is basically like something you would buy at Home Depot, against a commercial-grade 2-stroke engine it's not even in the same ballpark. Try comparing the 255i against a Stihl Fs 90 trimmer with a commercial grade engine and then tell me which is better and you find the Stihl will the better of the two units, there's no comparison. I know that because I have both and have run both, the Echo 210 along with the Echo PE 200 edger stays in the shop and never gets used anymore.
You said it was like going from a toy trimmer with the stihl to a commercial model with the Echo and this is why. The Fs55 at full throttle only produces 7700rpm @ the head and that out of a 27.2cc engine. My Echo SRM 210 produces 10.500 rpm@ the head out of a 21.2cc engine and I'm guessing the 255i is about the same so naturally echo would preform better but it doesn't mean it's a better unit than the stihl with a commercial engine.
You can compare all you want on paper and even in field but you can't compare a residential unit to a professional unit, there not in the same ballpark or even close. Personally the only Echo I run is the BRD 280 and if Stihl made a Bed Definer I'd sell the echo in a heartbeat. I'll never have or buy another Echo.

Last edited:

RER28

Threads
I'll never have or buy another Echo.

Each to their own...I will never buy another stihl. :biggrin:

thelawnthrasher

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my experience stihl is by far the leader in quality,performance and reliability. They have a reputation for making a outstanding product and stand behind what they sell...I've been in commercial lawn service for several years and stihl is the only thing I would consider using....if you run anything besides stihl where I'm from you are probably gonna get laughed at....echo is something homeowners buy at lowes or home depot and think its great because they haven't used a stihl

RER28

Threads
With 40 years of my 1/2 acre mowing and trimming every 4th day, gives me the experience I need to make an informed decision about yard equipment. I got caught up in the "hype" of the stihl name and bought the stihl trimmer. The last day I owned it I threw it about 10 yards out of continued frustration. It was totally unreliable for reasons I noted above. I am the one laughing now, looking back at the stihl hype and now using the smooth and powerful operation of the Echo. You have your opinions of products and we just happen to strongly disagree. I'm done with this thread. By the way I bought my Echo from an authorized, locally owned lawn equipment shop not the big box stores who sell Lawnboy, John Deer, Troybuilt, and/International Cubs.
buy at lowes or home depot and think its great because they haven't used a stihl
I have owned both and I couldn't wait to get rid of the junk stihl trimmer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
With 40 years of my 1/2 acre mowing and trimming every 4th day, gives me the experience I need to make an informed decision about yard equipment. I got caught up in the "hype" of the stihl name and bought the stihl trimmer. The last day I owned it I threw it about 10 yards out of continued frustration. It was totally unreliable for reasons I noted above. I am the one laughing now, looking back at the stihl hype and now using the smooth and powerful operation of the Echo. You have your opinions of products and we just happen to strongly disagree. I'm done with this thread. By the way I bought my Echo from an authorized, locally owned lawn equipment shop not the big box stores who sell Lawnboy, John Deer, Troybuilt, and/International Cubs. I have owned both and I couldn't wait to get rid of the junk stihl trimmer.

I can see you're not open to reason about the differences that I and others have tried to explain to you. The fact is you made your judgement based on what you did and that was going from a homeowner version trimmer to a commercial unit and yes there is a big difference but it has nothing to do with Stihl or the make of the equipment.
With your 40 years of your 1/2 acre mowing and trimming every 4th day, that gave you the experience you need to make an informed decision about yard equipment you still made a poor decision buying the wrong piece of equipment for the job you were doing, and as far as I'm concerned anyone who throws equipment 10 yards out of frustration doesn't need to be operating equipment in the first place.

Btw did you know that Echo no longer makes the 255i or at least they don't offer it on there website and International Cubs :ashamed: I can see how up to date you are on equipment. :confused2:

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought this was about what do you prefer not use what I say to use. I am not going to say what I use and I don't shop by specks and what's on paper I buy what feels good when I use it. Some of you act as if you work for the company and are trying to sell to us. Now my wife likes to use a feather light from Walmart. Why you ask because it is light and does what she needs it to do and when it breaks they give her a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

RER28

Threads
I thought this was about what do you prefer not use what I say to use. I am not going to say what I use and I don't shop by specks and what's on paper I buy what feels good when I use it. Some of you act as if you work for the company and are trying to sell to us. Now my wife likes to use a feather light from Walmart. Why you ask because it is light and does what she needs it to do and when it breaks they give her a new one.

my sentiments exactly...+1