Dealer Sold Me 2012 Toro brand new For the Price of a 2014

possum

Threads
  • / Dealer Sold Me 2012 Toro brand new For the Price of a 2014
My Dad dickered. He traded cars and trucks often. was common to take a full day just to buy a car. He always bragged of his trades. He got some very good deals. I got one good deal but I only bought one new truck in my life. I never dickered. Selling a person a two year old mower as a new one is as bad as selling the year before snowblowers that have been powerwashed at Lowes. Not to mention the powerwasher they used and put back in the box.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Dad dickered. He traded cars and trucks often. was common to take a full day just to buy a car. He always bragged of his trades. He got some very good deals. I got one good deal but I only bought one new truck in my life. I never dickered. Selling a person a two year old mower as a new one is as bad as selling the year before snowblowers that have been powerwashed at Lowes. Not to mention the powerwasher they used and put back in the box.

A good question? Are we talking about used equipment that has been cleaned to look like new or never been used equipment? There is a different. Once it been used I would think you could see that has been the fact?? If so then its time for a good dickering on price. It all go's back, know what you are buying, LOOK AT IT. I have found even the big box stores will dicker for used or display equipment. I can understand your dad because I think it is something I do and just can't think any different. The last used car I bought it took me many weeks to buy. I even looked out of state. That was the reason I bought my last motorcycle in Virginia instead of NY where I live.

gfp55

Threads
Last update on this. I went back to the dealer today and explained my frustrations. I won't go into all the detail that took place in the information exchange but ultimately they agreed to refund the money and let me return the mower. This was after some small attempts to make it right. So it's back to square one on my mower shopping but I feel relieved and learned some valuable life lessons. Note to all of you. Always verify you are receiving what you actually bought with your serial numbers! Model numbers can be the same for many years at a time. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for another 15 years. Again I know there were mixed reactions on this throughout the thread but I appreciate the different point of views.

When I buy something of any value I am the type of person that dickers for price. If its a older year mower I would use that to my advantage. The very first thing you need for this is know what you are buying. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Know what you are buying before the sale not after. Then when you talk to the dealer you have to let him know that you don't have a problem about walking out the door without buying. The sales person dose this for a living and know this. Its too late after the sale that you don't like what you bought, you own it unless you buy it from some of the big box stores. Just what makes you think that a dealer going to give you your money back after you used his mower and now don't like it. Now he has a used mower he has to sell at a new mower price. So this is the reason I am saying be happy with what you bought because you will just be spinning you wheels and going no where. I have a friend that bought a new trailer and ordered it over the phone because he wanted the same thing that I have. When he picked up his new trailer he wondered why he paid 300 dollars more then I did. That just isn't the way to dicker for price I told him.

((((((NEWS FLASH))))...reynoldston..... Did you read the "Last Update" Read top quote

keeplearnin; You done good and you learned something out of it. I would email the manufacturer to let them know about the dealer also. Fine job standing up for yourself and speaking your mind. Best Regards; gfp55

Lawn Addict
Threads
gfp55 - I agree with you 100%, about contacting Toro Headquarters & let them know about this dealer... Certainly not anyplace I would deal with again..

And keeplearnin even stated the mower had no Hour meter, which is standard equiptment for 2014 SS 4260, maybe it was missing other features as well..

gfp55

Threads
gfp55 - I agree with you 100%, about contacting Toro Headquarters & let them know about this dealer... Certainly not anyplace I would deal with again..

And keeplearnin even stated the mower had no Hour meter, which is standard equiptment for 2014 SS 4260, maybe it was missing other features as well..

If a dealer will lie on a contract, they will lie about anything. Gee I wonder why the mower had no hour meter?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
((((((NEWS FLASH))))...reynoldston..... Did you read the "Last Update" Read top quote

keeplearnin; You done good and you learned something out of it. I would email the manufacturer to let them know about the dealer also. Fine job standing up for yourself and speaking your mind. Best Regards; gfp55

Up yours with your news flash. Still seems like a lot to go through for nothing.

gfp55

Threads
Up yours with your news flash. Still seems like a lot to go through for nothing.

Not everyone will just roll over and take it like you. The dealer was wrong and the man did not let them get away with it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not everyone will just roll over and take it like you. The dealer was wrong and the man did not let them get away with it.

I sure don't roll over for you and never will.

gfp55

Threads
I sure don't roll over for you and never will.

I don't want you to roll over for anyone reynoldston. Your a man with convictions and so is keeplearnin, myself and others. Would you let someone take money out of your pocket? I don't think you would. Are you saying that the dealer was right by charging him 2014 prices for a 2012 machine? Would you take that? I'm not trying to make you made, but you said that there was nothing he/she could do about it and you were wrong, he/she got his money back and they learned not to deal with that dealer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't want you to roll over for anyone reynoldston. Your a man with convictions and so is keeplearnin, myself and others. Would you let someone take money out of your pocket? I don't think you would. Are you saying that the dealer was right by charging him 2014 prices for a 2012 machine? Would you take that? I'm not trying to make you made, but you said that there was nothing he/she could do about it and you were wrong, he/she got his money back and they learned not to deal with that dealer.

Don't know the person that bought this mower or know how he bought it. He got his money back and good for him. Now what he has to buy another one and what now if he doesn't like the next one or buys a lemon. I find in life you just can't satisfy some people. I sure hope he dose his home work better on the next purchase and takes a look at what he is buying. I find that Toro makes a very good quality machine that would last him for many years. If he wants a hour meter make sure it is on the mower before delivery not after. Now not knowing what he paid or the prices how do I know if the dealer over charged him?? Like I said I know if I make a big purchase I know what I am buying before I ever walk into the dealer and know prices. Everybody is saying what a bad dealer he bought this mower from. Like wise I don't know this dealer or was ever in his place of business, how can I say he is bad or good. Seeing he give him his money back it doesn't seem too bad to me. I have worked as a mechanic in different dealerships for around 25 years and have seen a lot in that time. This may be the reason it may seem I might be on the dealers side of this story. Like I said some people you just can't satisfy and some you can.