Dealer Sold Me 2012 Toro brand new For the Price of a 2014

keeplearnin

Threads
  • / Dealer Sold Me 2012 Toro brand new For the Price of a 2014
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to reach out and get your opinions. After a lot of research on various residential ZT's and the gracious help of many posts on LawnWorld I decided on a Toro Timecutter SS4260. Today I finally got the machine home to mow! Before mowing I was going through and recording my serial number and other tidbits about the machine I noticed the serial number was from 2012 because it began with a 31200xxxx. I know this per the Toro documentation found here Toro |. I also noticed it said date of manufacturing was Jan 2012. I found this odd because I purchased this mower brand new. Am I crazy to think that I would be getting a model year 2014 maybe even a 2013 if I bought new. The dealer delivered the mower in town here so I had no idea at the time of purchase this is what would be coming from the warehouse to my home. I am guessing this is something I should get clarified with the dealer. Is this common practice or did I have the carpet pulled out from under me? The mower does appears to be brand new and in good shape but you don't pay full price for a 2012 car in year 2014 it is supposed to work the same way for mowers? Thank you for your input and suggestions.

Eric

keeplearnin

Threads
Just an update, spoke with the dealer and they provided some clarification. I was told that from a production perspective they need to produce the 2014's in years earlier. I guess this sounds reasonable to me as you obviously cant produce enough 2014's in the early months of 2014 for the 2014 mowing season. So I guess I am satisfied. Please let me know if something doesn't sound right here but I am feeling better.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
As long as it has the same features and is the same as what you agreed to buy and the warranty starts from date of purchase I wouldn't worry about it.

Congrats on the new mower though :thumbsup:

Nwatson99

Threads
Just an update, spoke with the dealer and they provided some clarification. I was told that from a production perspective they need to produce the 2014's in years earlier. I guess this sounds reasonable to me as you obviously cant produce enough 2014's in the early months of 2014 for the 2014 mowing season. So I guess I am satisfied. Please let me know if something doesn't sound right here but I am feeling better.

BULLSHAT!! I do not believe that for a minute.
You do not make and know all changes to a mower in 2012 for the 2014 models, unless the company "Toro" has sat down and is running the identical same model for a 3 year or 5 year span.
You need to call Toro and get clarification, but before you do that also just so you know what you are talking bout go online and read about your mower and see if the literature matches your machine.
I just bought a brand new JD and was delivered today, the sticker said it began production 5/19/2014 which was the day I ordered it.

jay stortini

Threads
Following interesting story:. But sounds like your getting lied to:(
I got brand new snapper zt 2014 and brand new toro timemaster 2014

keeplearnin

Threads
I got another update. So when I talked to the dealer I talked directly with the salesman who sold me the mower as he gave me his direct line. Even after hanging up with him I was still a little unsure if I was being told the truth. So I decided I would call Toro customer service and speak with them directly. After some back and fourth with customer service the rep did give me verification that all the 2014's would have been made no earlier than late 2013. It looks like I may be the victim of a dealer trying to move some old stock. So I definitely was lied to by the salesmen or he was just trying to hollywood a little bit and get me off the phone. At this point I have had enough. No more phone calls I am going to head to the dealer tomorrow demanding a new machine and if they cant make it right I am taking it back and getting a full refund. Also, one more thing I did notice is it appears that the 2014 Toro Timecutters SS4260 has the hour meter listed as "standard" in the specs. There is definitely no hour meter on my Toro there is a blank hole where it should be. I was actually going to purchase the hour meter separately before any of this happened today because I really wanted to track my maintenance hours. Anyhow onward and upward. Thanks guys for your opinions and thoughts. I am an easy going honest person so it really gets me going when I am taken advantage of. I will keep you posted with what happens tomorrow.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My lawyer friend said here in GA that is theft by deception. You ordered a 2014 model and paid for a 2014 model and they gave you a 2012 model.

I would go see them and call them out on it.

Heck I might even kick his azz

Nwatson99

Threads
I would take it back get and get my money, then go buy a new John Deere, drive back to the Toro dealer wave at them from the parking lot, then take a photo and e-mail it to Toro customer service.
:thumbsup:

serelaw

Threads
To think that a dealer would look at you and think "This guy is green as deer poop, I'm gonna bend him over".
You walk in a trusting fellow and bam! Dealer F^%$Ed.
Yea I would be going some where else.
We got u man.

Brucebotti

Threads
I agree. That is just not right. If he had told you that it was a 2012 and would offer you a pretty good discount, then that would be fair and you could make your decision based on that. As much as I love my Toro, if that happened to me, I would want my money back and I would look elsewhere. Definitely keep us posted.
Bruce