Cub Cadet XT1 - Keeps blowing 20 Amp Fuse when trying to start - No Crank No Start - just blowing fuses - SOLVED!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 - Keeps blowing 20 Amp Fuse when trying to start - No Crank No Start - just blowing fuses - SOLVED!!!
From the key switch power goes to the PTO switch then brake switch then the solenoid
If your solenoid has 2 small wires on the bottom ( trigger wires ) check that both of them are isolated from ground

JoeFromRomeo

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 - Keeps blowing 20 Amp Fuse when trying to start - No Crank No Start - just blowing fuses - SOLVED!!!
Fuses are a lot cheaper than wiring harnesses so don't just jumper the fuse holder.

But we do need the model number from the serial number tag of mower and the engine model and spec numbers so we can see what you are dealing with. Otherwise we are blind as to what you have.

And shadetree said you need the knowledge and tools to do the troubleshooting. It can get expensive very fast swapping parts.
Cub Cadet LT42" XT1
Model: 13AOA1CS056
Serial: 18108H40302

JoeFromRomeo

Threads
For a logical answer we need the complete model number of your Cub Cadet XT1 tractor and the engine model would also help. (so as we can look at a wiring diagram)model will be something like for example 13AXXXXXXX

Without have the EXACT full model number only thing we can tell you is unplug things and test.
You might have to throw in the towel on this one and take it to a repair shop if you do not have any electrical troubleshooting knowledge or know how to use electrical test instruments.
I have clamp on electrical testers that I can use to immediately monitor DC amps and not ruin fuses instead of just constantly blowing fuses by trial and error.
Model: 13AOA1CS056
SERIAL 1B108H40302

shadetree#1

Threads
Cannot locate a electrical schematic for that model. (it's not in the owners manual)
seen several at this link but?????????
That rig has the electronic dash.
He says the fuse blows when the ignition is in the full start pos.
The ign switch B (12v Battery) contact makes to the S and A1 terminal in the START position.
I would find the S and A1 terminal on the ign switch and disconnect them one at a time to see which branch circuit has the OL. After you unplug the ign switch you can see the letters stamped on the rear of the ign switch by the terminals. On some models this requires removing the gas tank, unplugging the ign switch wires and the ign switch has two plastic retainers in behind the dash that can be squeezed by fingers and pull out the ign switch. I found a similar model once (that was blowing the rear mounted under the battery 20 amp fuse) that after removing the FRONT MOUNTED gas tank to access the ignition switch wire loom plug I seen where wires were rubbed bare on the steering shaft and a mouse had chewed some of the insulation. Also had to replace the fuse holder due to corroded terminals and dirt getting inside. Not a user friendly place to access the fuse holder and starter solenoid on that model Cub.

Anyone find one?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lack of proper wiring schematics is one of my main problems with Cub Cadet and MTD. They act like we are too stupid to read them. All they want to send me a harness connecting diagram which is totally useless for troubleshooting purposes.

But with this mower having a manual PTO the start (S) terminal on the ignition goes to the brake switch, PTO switch, and then starter solenoid. So disconnect the S terminal at the ignition and test. IF the fuse still blows then it likely the Reverse Inhibit module part of the ignition switch. Otherwise try first unplugging the PTO switch and then brake switch whichever stop the blowing of the fuse the short is after it or the switch itself.

shadetree#1

Threads
Lack of proper wiring schematics is one of my main problems with Cub Cadet and MTD. They act like we are too stupid to read them. All they want to send me a harness connecting diagram which is totally useless for troubleshooting purposes.

But with this mower having a manual PTO the start (S) terminal on the ignition goes to the brake switch, PTO switch, and then starter solenoid. So disconnect the S terminal at the ignition and test. IF the fuse still blows then it likely the Reverse Inhibit module part of the ignition switch. Otherwise try first unplugging the PTO switch and then brake switch whichever stop the blowing of the fuse the short is after it or the switch itself.
Lack of proper wiring schematics is one of my main problems with Cub Cadet and MTD
Very true:
AND
add JD to the list. (even the JD high priced SERVICE manuals tries to hide things.

And some of the Cub Cadet owners manuals indicate to take the machine in to a AUTHORIZED service center just to replace a idler pulley or motion drive belt. I think they should add this note****
Bend over and back in slow when entering the Authorized service center.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And some of the Cub Cadet owners manuals indicate to take the machine in to a AUTHORIZED service center just to replace a idler pulley or motion drive belt. I think they should add this note****
Bend over and back in slow when entering the Authorized service center.
At the end of the day how much do you think that Authorized Service Center makes on repairs.

JoeFromRomeo

Threads
So you have a dead short
Start by disconnecting the rectifier/regulator plug & see what happens
Note the battery can not recharge when you do this so you get 3 to 5 hours of mowing then the battery goes flat and the fuel solenoid closes so the engine stops .
Can you help me locate the Rectifier / Regulator?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you help me locate the Rectifier / Regulator?
With a Kohler engine the most likely location is on the left side of the engine toward the back mounted in the blower housing, or could be tucked up under the housing on the metal shielding held on with two bolts, and will have three wires connected to it. Will be the purple wire on the engine side of the wiring harness.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At the end of the day how much do you think that Authorized Service Center makes on repairs.
What the layman don't think about is the amount of overhead is involved running a brick and mortar shop with employees. It sorta some the customers I work for back when I was with SRC the company was charging $120 per hr and I was getting $12.50 per hour. Some of comments I got was "It must be nice making $120 per hour.".

And yes it has voltage regulator then try what IL suggested.