Craftsman 6.75HP push mower died

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As far as I can work out, that engine came with 2 primers
If your bulb has no hole in the middle then it pumps fuel into the carb to start a cold engine
If your primer bulb has a hole in the middle then it pumps air into the float chamber to depress the float slightly and flood the carb so does not squirt fuel directly into the engine.

This is why numbers are important

They both look almost the same but they work differently.

I will hazard a guess that when on the incline, some water or debris that was i the bottom of the fuel tank found it's way into the carburettor.
Remove the carburettor , drain the float bowl check the jet holes are clear then reassemble

bluegirl

Threads
Here is what I have done so far, to no avail. Oil level good, new spark plug, removed carb & check all orifices/float, removed the coil & cleaned(no rust, it was shiny}, checked primer bulb(there was some debris behind the bulb at the screen), fuel moving well through the line & into the carb. It doesn't give me even a small hope of starting.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is what I have done so far, to no avail. Oil level good, new spark plug, removed carb & check all orifices/float, removed the coil & cleaned(no rust, it was shiny}, checked primer bulb(there was some debris behind the bulb at the screen), fuel moving well through the line & into the carb. It doesn't give me even a small hope of starting.
Magneto installed right side up?
Check for spark when you pull the rope?
Proper gap on magneto?
Small shot of starting fluid into the carb any help?

Joed756

Threads
Just checking, when you put the coil back on, did you gap it properly? Do you have a spark?

bluegirl

Threads
I check the spark today and yes there is a spark. Will do the starting fluid in carb test next. Update: no go with gas in carb.

Last edited:

bluegirl

Threads
Bluegirl, if the mower were seized it wouldn't turn over when you pull the cord. It sounds like your carb is still the culprit or possibly the muffler is full of oil. You can always remove the muffler and see if it runs.
Yes, it turns over when I pull the cord. I removed the muffler & other than a bit sooty it looks ok. Tried to start it, but no success.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, it turns over when I pull the cord. I removed the muffler & other than a bit sooty it looks ok. Tried to start it, but no success.
Spark and fuel. Check them out.

winmod21

Threads
Hi all,
I was using this mower on a slight incline when it died. I checked the oil and there was very little in the reservoir. This one burns a little oil routinely. If I ran it dry is it for sure dead? I checked the carb and cleaned all the orifices, Installed 2 gaskets at the breather(from YT video), cover does not seem warped at all, but really how can you tell. None if these things helped. I was able to get it to run for a second or 2 & then it would die. I figure if I am getting a few seconds run time it must not be seized.
The last time that our Craftsman 6.75hp mower wouldn't start, after hundreds of pulls on the starter cord, I noticed a tiny section of the cylinder head gasket hanging from the bottom of the cylinder head. So it was a blown head gasket & loss of compression issue.
Ordered a new one from searspartsdirect for approx $7.
And —except for the small matter of me cracking the cyl head by over-torqueing the head bolts a wee bit of a mere 183 ft-lbs too much— that was the reason ours wasn't starting.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And —except for the small matter of me cracking the cyl head by over-torqueing the head bolts a wee bit of a mere 183 ft-lbs too much— that was the reason ours wasn't starting.
Thank the lord the head didn't fall off while mowing. LOL Only needed 15ft lbs. Aluminum block and heads......