Craftsman 6.75HP push mower died

bluegirl

Threads
The last time that our Craftsman 6.75hp mower wouldn't start, after hundreds of pulls on the starter cord, I noticed a tiny section of the cylinder head gasket hanging from the bottom of the cylinder head. So it was a blown head gasket & loss of compression issue.
Ordered a new one from searspartsdirect for approx $7.
And —except for the small matter of me cracking the cyl head by over-torqueing the head bolts a wee bit of a mere 183 ft-lbs too much— that was the reason ours wasn't starting.
Did anything feel different when you were trying to start it?

winmod21

Threads
Did anything feel different when you were trying to start it?
Well, I do remember that the more I re-pulled the starter rope, the more numb I felt.
Until eventually, after what seemed like more than a hundred pulls . . . I apparently turned into a numbskull. ?

But no, everything felt and looked normal as ever. So I had no idea why it wasn't starting, as it had always typically started within a couple pulls. And I don't think I recalled that it had backfired - the last time I had shut it down, but perhaps it did. Maybe it doesn't take much of a backfire to blow a head gasket if the engines' usage hours are high, which was the case with ours; purchased it in 96' or 97', and I think the head gasket blew in 2014~15, so it was 18 or 19 yrs old.

Then after I had to replace the cylinder head, due to my—glad to say temporary—infliction of being a numbskull who torqued the head bolts to 200 ft-lbs—instead of the proper 200 in-lbs :rolleyes: —it started right back up and ran great.

In the meantime, we purchased a Husqvarna from Lowe's that had several non-starting issues, so after several mowing's promptly returned it to Lowe's and with our refund money bought a Honda mower from HomeDepot that's been super great; it's now 6 or 7 yrs old and still starts every time on the 1st pull !=))

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could stand a good cleaning. I've seen worse than that run.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not your issue but as others said, should be done say every 6 years depending on how much you mow. That is de-carbonizing the cylinder and valves. It's in your engine manual as a to-do thing. That carbon insulates the parts slowing heat transfer leading to over-heats. Plus those carbon chunks get between the piston and bore scoring the crap out of the bore, not a good thing.

bluegirl

Threads
Thanks all. I will get the cylinder cleaned up, but what next? Replace the carb & the primer bulb cover/assembly?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the air filter cover and filter. LOOK into the carb throat. Hit the primer bulb. Should see a small squirt of fuel come from the bottom center of the carb.

What do you see?

bluegirl

Threads
Remove the air filter cover and filter. LOOK into the carb throat. Hit the primer bulb. Should see a small squirt of fuel come from the bottom center of the carb.

What do you see?
I see no action whatsoever. Usually I can hear the gas moving thru the line.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I prime the gas none comes through. Usually I can hear it squirting in.
That should tell you your primer isn't working right?