Craftsman 6.75HP push mower died

bluegirl

Threads
Hi all,
I was using this mower on a slight incline when it died. I checked the oil and there was very little in the reservoir. This one burns a little oil routinely. If I ran it dry is it for sure dead? I checked the carb and cleaned all the orifices, Installed 2 gaskets at the breather(from YT video), cover does not seem warped at all, but really how can you tell. None if these things helped. I was able to get it to run for a second or 2 & then it would die. I figure if I am getting a few seconds run time it must not be seized.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure oil is on full mark, check air filter, check for spark at plug, check for compression by pulling cord, if cord is hard to pull you probably have good compression, if cord is easy to pull low compression & will not start. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,
I was using this mower on a slight incline when it died. I checked the oil and there was very little in the reservoir. This one burns a little oil routinely. If I ran it dry is it for sure dead? I checked the carb and cleaned all the orifices, Installed 2 gaskets at the breather(from YT video), cover does not seem warped at all, but really how can you tell. None if these things helped. I was able to get it to run for a second or 2 & then it would die. I figure if I am getting a few seconds run time it must not be seized.
Is there a reason you don't put oil in the engine?

Might hire a lawn crew since you don't do any mower maintenance.

bluegirl

Threads
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I prime the gas none comes through. Usually I can hear it squirting in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forums are like computers.
Nothing good happens till you put some data in
So lets start with the engine make model & Numbers.

Joed756

Threads
Thank you for the snide reply. It just got away from me.
Bluegirl, if the mower were seized it wouldn't turn over when you pull the cord. It sounds like your carb is still the culprit or possibly the muffler is full of oil. You can always remove the muffler and see if it runs.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for the snide reply. It just got away from me.
Yes it was snide. And yes oil is important in a push mower engine. Takes a whole half quart to fill one up. Not a big deal.

Snide part was to assist in getting the importance of the oil into your knowledge box.

Friendly tip, might want to check the oil in your car or truck too. All meant with pure love, sugar on top and bottom, sweet kisses on the mouth and hugs all around. Even a few for Scrubcadet10.

350Rocket

Threads
If no gas is coming through the primer, maybe there is a crack in the fuel hose causing it to suck air in? That's the problem I just had with my ancient leaf blower. Once the cracked fuel hose was replaced it worked fine.