Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

civic

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Just an update. I saw that this spring Honda put some HRN216's on the shelves at Home Depot. These are the ones they pulled from the shelves last year for the cam shaft recall and have a green dot on them indicating the recall has been performed. I believe these are the absolute last of the Honda lawn mowers that can be bought new. Given that I love everything about these Honda mowers except for the HRR "pull back" issues I decided to ensure my Honda mower availability (for the rest of my mowing days and likely beyond) and picked up an HRN216VKA to go with the HRX217HYA. Just ran the HRN for the first time and all I got to say is "WOW" they freaking nailed it with this model. If you're on the fence I'd go grab one of these things while you can. The self propelled design is totally different in the ratcheting pinion and totally disengages the drive axle when pulling backwards. It pushes forward and back like a regular push mower. The rest of it is typical Honda - great quality on everything and still made in the USA.

Also as a side note still zero issues with my HRX. Haven't touched anything but air filter and oil changes... which reminds me that I need to sharpen the blade.
This good to know. Which model do you like the best. My HD has both and the HRX is on sale, less $100. It is hard to get rid of my old mower. It is working great since the double seal and bronze bushing trick. But I know it won't last another 10 years. Starting to show signs of deck rust but not bad. But who knows it might out last me. It starts on the first pull every time with little effort.

Briantii

Threads
This good to know. Which model do you like the best. My HD has both and the HRX is on sale, less $100. It is hard to get rid of my old mower. It is working great since the double seal and bronze bushing trick. But I know it won't last another 10 years. Starting to show signs of deck rust but not bad. But who knows it might out last me. It starts on the first pull every time with little effort.

The HRX has more power and I think runs a bit smoother - it's for sure more "premium". With that said, the HRX uses the older bushing design just with the extra seal so ultimately it <could> be prone to having the pull back issue. The Hydro transmission on the HRX217HYA is also for sure nice. My biggest concern with my HRX is just with Honda exiting the business - what happens if I put a rock through the composite mower deck. How long will replacement decks be available?

The HRN VKA is half the price of the HRX HYA, feels lighter, and still has plenty of power. It kinda feels like a sports car compared to a luxury car. Given the money I think the HRN is the better value with the added bonus that the pull back issue is truly designed OUT of the system. Additionally for long term use I think the steel deck will be easier to repair if it's ever damaged.

civic

Threads
Thanks for this review. Kind of leaning toward the HRN. Gas mowers are on the way out and a few years from now I bet you won't be able to buy one. The lawn mower shop near me told me they are buy up as many Honda mowers as they can. This was before the recall. They said they had several years of them, but who knows if there is going to be a run on them.

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for this review. Kind of leaning toward the HRN. Gas mowers are on the way out and a few years from now I bet you won't be able to buy one. The lawn mower shop near me told me they are buy up as many Honda mowers as they can. This was before the recall. They said they had several years of them, but who knows if there is going to be a run on them.

Yeah I hope they did get enough for a few years... but I suspect this is going to be the last season where they are easy to find new. Such a shame as I really think they got it right these days.

Westman

Threads
6/18/24 Update: My HRR216 continues to perform, no pull back issues after the Oillite/bronze bearing replacements (from a few years ago) and dual dirt seals. Just keeps running. On a side note what oil are you guys running in your crankcase? I'm currently using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40, but used to run Redline 5w-40 until the price went to the moon. The heavier weight oil helps, especially during the hot NW Arkansas summers here where I live. Cheers...

Westman

Threads
Just an update. I saw that this spring Honda put some HRN216's on the shelves at Home Depot. These are the ones they pulled from the shelves last year for the cam shaft recall and have a green dot on them indicating the recall has been performed. I believe these are the absolute last of the Honda lawn mowers that can be bought new. Given that I love everything about these Honda mowers except for the HRR "pull back" issues I decided to ensure my Honda mower availability (for the rest of my mowing days and likely beyond) and picked up an HRN216VKA to go with the HRX217HYA. Just ran the HRN for the first time and all I got to say is "WOW" they freaking nailed it with this model. If you're on the fence I'd go grab one of these things while you can. The self propelled design is totally different in the ratcheting pinion and totally disengages the drive axle when pulling backwards. It pushes forward and back like a regular push mower. The rest of it is typical Honda - great quality on everything and still made in the USA.

Also as a side note still zero issues with my HRX. Haven't touched anything but air filter and oil changes... which reminds me that I need to sharpen the blade.
My local HD has the Model # HRN216VKAD for $549. Is this the model that had the fix because of camshaft issues (green sticker)? I may have to go take a look since this is a total redesign of the HRR216 series issues. Thanks for the heads up...!

civic

Threads
My local HD has the Model # HRN216VKAD for $549. Is this the model that had the fix because of camshaft issues (green sticker)? I may have to go take a look since this is a total redesign of the HRR216 series issues. Thanks for the heads up...!
Westman,
Since I did the double seal and oillite bushing things are great. It has loosen up a bit. As for oil I use what Honda recommends 10-30 but I use synthetic oil and change it once a year. Thicker oil might be doing more harm than good since the flow is slowed down.
HD has them here too with the green sticker same price. My deal is I want to see how long my Honda will go. It is showing its age, but it's like an old car that still runs and cuts great. I think the HRN might be easier to use than the HRR. I'm still debating this. Also, the EGO might make more sense but they look so cheaply built and not sure how well they cut. Might buy one to see then return it. I like the idea of no gas or oil but I don't like the idea of battery replacement or mower replacement every 5 years or so. I'm not sold on electric cars or mowers yet.

Briantii

Threads

Very glad to hear the oilite bushings are working well for ya! I think those are by far the best solution for the HRR and hope anyone reading this goes with that direction rather than the roller bearings I used initially.

Yep! That's exactly what I bought and it has the total redesign of the self propelled and depending on the year of you HRR a lot of upgrades to the deck and overall design. I think it cuts a lot better than the HRR I had too - mine never had a really "even" cut, but the HRN seems every bit as good as the HRX in my experience for cut quality. Now that I've used them both (late model HRX217HYA and new HRN216VKA) I'll say that the HRX feels heavier and a little more "premium" - the handles are thicker, the wheels have more grip if you're mowing across steep hills, slightly less vibration, the rear flap is made from better plastic, etc. With that said the HRN feels like a lightweight sports car. Super light feeling, easy to push / pull in every direction, and I can knock out my yard in record time as the self propelled can go really fast - faster than the hydro in the HRX. So far I love it, zero issues or complaints, and think it's the best "value" of the Honda mowers. Even though I don't have very tall or thick grass both the GCV200 and GCV170 seem a good bit more powerful than the GCV160 on the HRR which sometimes would bog a bit in certain areas of the yard.

Regarding oil - I broke in both my HRX and HRN with the supplied Honda 10w-30 and then changed it the first month to 10w-30 or 5w-30 synthetic. Then another "early" change a few months later before going to once a season oil changes. Currently I'm running Walmart SuperTech 5w-30 synthetic that I had left over from a car I sold. It seems to be perfect for both of them and meets Honda's 5w-30 or 10w-30 recommendation for all temperatures. Oil still looks like new when changing it. I think the biggest thing is getting a few oil changes in early on the engine's life and switching to synthetic immediately. I did the same thing with our golf cart and it's the same story with it - barely changes color of the oil between annual changes. I like the boutique oils and wouldn't question if they're better, but I do feel confident that virtually any synthetic changed regularly is "good enough" to keep these engines running far longer than I'll ever need them to - I expect 20+ years from both.

Briantii

Threads
Westman,
Since I did the double seal and oillite bushing things are great. It has loosen up a bit. As for oil I use what Honda recommends 10-30 but I use synthetic oil and change it once a year. Thicker oil might be doing more harm than good since the flow is slowed down.
HD has them here too with the green sticker same price. My deal is I want to see how long my Honda will go. It is showing its age, but it's like an old car that still runs and cuts great. I think the HRN might be easier to use than the HRR. I'm still debating this. Also, the EGO might make more sense but they look so cheaply built and not sure how well they cut. Might buy one to see then return it. I like the idea of no gas or oil but I don't like the idea of battery replacement or mower replacement every 5 years or so. I'm not sold on electric cars or mowers yet.

I'm not sold on the electric mowers - but screwed up and drove a Tesla Model Y Performance and OMG that thing is STUPID fast. Like unbelievable and NOTICEABLY faster than the twin turbo V8 BMW X5 I drove a few weeks prior. I was totally sold. My wife however veto'd it for the silly minimalist single screen and that it's "too fast" - she was in it when I put it to the floor (my mistake). For the mowers - I'm like you... just not convinced on new batteries and 5 year replacements. Plus they're getting up there in $$$ and cost as much as the HRN which I think will last 20+ years. I just don't see anyone ever saying they got 20 years out of an EGO.

I do think anyone coming from an HRR would really like the HRN. It's truly a completely different mower at least from the ~2012 HRR that I had and seems to be better in every single way. With that said - you'll probably get a REALLY long time out of that HRR if you take care of it like you are.

civic

Threads
Very glad to hear the oilite bushings are working well for ya! I think those are by far the best solution for the HRR and hope anyone reading this goes with that direction rather than the roller bearings I used initially.

Yep! That's exactly what I bought and it has the total redesign of the self propelled and depending on the year of you HRR a lot of upgrades to the deck and overall design. I think it cuts a lot better than the HRR I had too - mine never had a really "even" cut, but the HRN seems every bit as good as the HRX in my experience for cut quality. Now that I've used them both (late model HRX217HYA and new HRN216VKA) I'll say that the HRX feels heavier and a little more "premium" - the handles are thicker, the wheels have more grip if you're mowing across steep hills, slightly less vibration, the rear flap is made from better plastic, etc. With that said the HRN feels like a lightweight sports car. Super light feeling, easy to push / pull in every direction, and I can knock out my yard in record time as the self propelled can go really fast - faster than the hydro in the HRX. So far I love it, zero issues or complaints, and think it's the best "value" of the Honda mowers. Even though I don't have very tall or thick grass both the GCV200 and GCV170 seem a good bit more powerful than the GCV160 on the HRR which sometimes would bog a bit in certain areas of the yard.

Regarding oil - I broke in both my HRX and HRN with the supplied Honda 10w-30 and then changed it the first month to 10w-30 or 5w-30 synthetic. Then another "early" change a few months later before going to once a season oil changes. Currently I'm running Walmart SuperTech 5w-30 synthetic that I had left over from a car I sold. It seems to be perfect for both of them and meets Honda's 5w-30 or 10w-30 recommendation for all temperatures. Oil still looks like new when changing it. I think the biggest thing is getting a few oil changes in early on the engine's life and switching to synthetic immediately. I did the same thing with our golf cart and it's the same story with it - barely changes color of the oil between annual changes. I like the boutique oils and wouldn't question if they're better, but I do feel confident that virtually any synthetic changed regularly is "good enough" to keep these engines running far longer than I'll ever need them to - I expect 20+ years from both.
Great review on the HRN and HRX. HD has the HRX on sale about $150 more than the HRN but my needs is a light weight sports car. As for oil you hit it right. The main thing is using synthetic oil that meets Honda specs and changing it once a year or 25 hours. I have used Walmart oil many times in my cars w/o any issues. I normal buy the least expensive oil for my lawn mower, but it must meet or exceeds Honda specs which most do.

We have been getting a lot of rain here in Houston lately and I have been mowing every 4 days or sooner. My yard looks great, best on my block and everyone compliments me on it. While most use yard services I mow. Great exercise for this old 67 y.o. man.
I will recommend Milorganite fertilizer, best I have used if you guys can find it. Some HDs sell it.