Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Rich M.

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Alright guys. Well… I’m out. Freaking dust seal came off on mine and I’m 100% over messing with it. Picked up a shiny new HRN
Not giving a HRN a try?

Briantii

Threads
Not giving a HRN a try?

Nah. I would have but my local Ace was sold out of all the HRN models and I really wanted the vya with the blade clutch so I can idle the engine after mowing to empty the carb while I run the blower. The vya specifically is somewhat hard to find. My Ace had the hrx with hydro trans and blade clutch on sale for $100 off. The hrx with the hydrostatic is what all the local commercial guys are using successfully so I figured it’s got to be pretty solid.

Overall just sick of sitting in the hot sun messing with a poorly designed self propelled system. I feel like I’ve bought my HRR twice given how many parts I’ve thrown at it. At least now I’ve got 5 years where I can just drop it off at my dealer and make it someone else’s problem. With that said, I think this design is A LOT better. It’s smoother and quieter too which is nice.

Big question now is what to do with the old mower. Wife says throw it away… and I’d have zero regrets doing so except the engine itself is PERFECT. Always had oil changes on time, burns zero oil each season, barely even darkens the oil, and always starts first pull.

civic

Threads
Hey Briantii,
Congrats on the new mower. Was wondering about you. I would jump ship too if I didn't replace the trans. The oilite bushings are doing well. Was thinking about an Ego or Ryobi twin blade. No mess the fuel, fumes, oil, etc. Going to ride this Honda out a few more years. I just think the battery mowers are cheaply made and expensive, hoping for price reduction but don't think that is going to happen especially with inflation.
I'm with you about buying this mower twice and the same with the engine, mine is great. Try selling on ebay local pick up only so you don't have to mess with shipping.

Briantii

Threads
Hey Briantii,
Congrats on the new mower. Was wondering about you. I would jump ship too if I didn't replace the trans. The oilite bushings are doing well. Was thinking about an Ego or Ryobi twin blade. No mess the fuel, fumes, oil, etc. Going to ride this Honda out a few more years. I just think the battery mowers are cheaply made and expensive, hoping for price reduction but don't think that is going to happen especially with inflation.
I'm with you about buying this mower twice and the same with the engine, mine is great. Try selling on ebay local pick up only so you don't have to mess with shipping.

Thank you. The smart $$$ choice would probably be to just to have bought oil lite bearings but then I’d need another new transmission as the shaft wear is what caused the seal to come loose… and well I was just done. I knew it wasn’t right this morning when it stuck pulling backwards to go mow, but decided to run it anyway. It actually mowed fine but afterwards decided to inspect since I knew something wasn’t 100%. Saw the dust seal out of place, wife came out saw me messing with it and she said ”Just buy a new one - this is stupid”…. And she’s probably right.

I think you’ll be able to run forever with a good trans, oilite bushings, and both seals. It’s really the only problem with these mowers and they run great when they’re right.

Like you I’m not real sold on the batteries yet, but they sure do seem to be getting close. I don’t care for the construction either. The raw material for the batteries I think will keep the prices high for a while. Heck the new gas stuff has even gone up. I did find it funny at my dealer they had a Stihl electric 21 mower - model RMA something. The RMA made me laugh… they could have come up with a better name.

I hated giving Honda more money, but I don’t think I’d like the Toro personal pace, the Honda engines are exceptional, commercial models are outrageously expensive these days, and I think just about everything else is MTD. My dealer said they’ve had so many quality issues with Snapper that they no longer even stock them and only order when someone really wants one.

I did figure out that I’m going to give the old one to my mom. She needs one occasionally when the yard service doesn’t show up or whatever. For 3 mows a year it will probably never give her a problem… or at least can be fixed with a shot of wd40.

Hope yours keeps treating you well. You’re running I think the best option from what it seems.

Westman

Threads
Update: Mower still running great, no issues.

civic

Threads
Update: Mower still running great, no issues.
Westman, mine too, these Honda engines will last forever. Also, my unit is getting easier to pull back, still not great. When it cools down around here sometime in December, hopefully sooner, I will take it all apart again for inspection.

civic

Threads
Finally torn down the rear wheel assembly. The oilite brass bushing is great, no wear on the trans. shaft and after a year the pull back is a lot easier. The double seal works but did notice there was no or little grease on the bushing. Will keep this mower for a bit longer.

Briantii

Threads
Finally torn down the rear wheel assembly. The oilite brass bushing is great, no wear on the trans. shaft and after a year the pull back is a lot easier. The double seal works but did notice there was no or little grease on the bushing. Will keep this mower for a bit longer.
Honda announced they are discontinuing lawn mowers next September. I told my mom to hang on to my old one. I’m not sure I could do the Toro personal pace and don’t know of any other decent brands out there. Almost tempted to buy a spare Honda before they go away. Loving my HRX as I get more used to it. Zero issues and the mulching is insane.

civic

Threads
Looks like battery mowers are here to stay. Surprised Honda is discontinuing mowers. I wonder if it is gas mowers they are discontinuing and they will be battery only. The prices of Honda mowers are almost double from a year ago.

Briantii

Threads
Looks like battery mowers are here to stay. Surprised Honda is discontinuing mowers. I wonder if it is gas mowers they are discontinuing and they will be battery only. The prices of Honda mowers are almost double from a year ago.
No apparently they are just exiting the business entirely. They are repurposing the NC plant for Side by sides or something.