Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

civic

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
I'm not sold on the electric mowers - but screwed up and drove a Tesla Model Y Performance and OMG that thing is STUPID fast. Like unbelievable and NOTICEABLY faster than the twin turbo V8 BMW X5 I drove a few weeks prior. I was totally sold. My wife however veto'd it for the silly minimalist single screen and that it's "too fast" - she was in it when I put it to the floor (my mistake). For the mowers - I'm like you... just not convinced on new batteries and 5 year replacements. Plus they're getting up there in $$$ and cost as much as the HRN which I think will last 20+ years. I just don't see anyone ever saying they got 20 years out of an EGO.

I do think anyone coming from an HRR would really like the HRN. It's truly a completely different mower at least from the ~2012 HRR that I had and seems to be better in every single way. With that said - you'll probably get a REALLY long time out of that HRR if you take care of it like you are.
I haven't driven a Tesla, they don't appeal to me and know they are quick. I did buy a M240i xDrive 2 years ago as a track car and toy and this car is very fast, especially for the money. I'm very happy my wife lets me track it. If she knew how fast this thing is she might veto it too. Also, this vehicle has knobs and buttons, not so on the newer ones. No knobs no buttons no deal. My pickens are getting slim. I hate the big TV screens these vehicles have so distracting.
I do think the Honda is a better buy than the EGO and getting 20 years out of an EGO, don't think so either. I hope I have another 20+ years. That being said the next mower I buy most likely will be my last. Never know I might have a polluting dinosaur HRR another 20.

Briantii

Threads
I haven't driven a Tesla, they don't appeal to me and know they are quick. I did buy a M240i xDrive 2 years ago as a track car and toy and this car is very fast, especially for the money. I'm very happy my wife lets me track it. If she knew how fast this thing is she might veto it too. Also, this vehicle has knobs and buttons, not so on the newer ones. No knobs no buttons no deal. My pickens are getting slim. I hate the big TV screens these vehicles have so distracting.
I do think the Honda is a better buy than the EGO and getting 20 years out of an EGO, don't think so either. I hope I have another 20+ years. That being said the next mower I buy most likely will be my last. Never know I might have a polluting dinosaur HRR another 20.

Oh the M240i with a manual is crazy sweet! Love those and love BMWs in general. I’ve got an older 3 with a manual myself. To be honest I didn’t think I’d like the Tesla until I tried it. The tech and performance per $$ is hard to beat and really impressive.

That HRR will probably run forever.

civic

Threads
Oh the M240i with a manual is crazy sweet! Love those and love BMWs in general. I’ve got an older 3 with a manual myself. To be honest I didn’t think I’d like the Tesla until I tried it. The tech and performance per $$ is hard to beat and really impressive.

Unfortunately the newer M240 only comes in an automatic. I going to try to sell the HRR for $100 to yard guys but not holding my breathe.

civic

Threads
Unfortunately the newer M240 only comes in an automatic. I going to try to sell the HRR for $100 to yard guys but not holding my

HRR is sold and now a new owner of a HRN. The guy that bought it was very happy. I sold it for $100. Not bad since it was about 15 years old. I was thinking EGO but for $700 Honda was a no brainer.

Briantii

Threads
Awesome! Hope you’re enjoying the HRN as much as I do!

civic

Threads
Awesome! Hope you’re enjoying the HRN as much as I do!
Did my first mow. Wow, this mower feels so much lighter a I'm sure it's due to less rolling resistance. I was fighting the HRR but mower seems seamless. Cuts the same and another plus is the way you adjust the height just one knob per axle. It seems to start easier, my old mower started very easy too. Worth the upgrade so far. I'm sure there will be issues down the road like everything hopefully minor. Thanks for your review which got me get the HRN. I just need to sell the old which I did pretty easily. Just asked several landscapers and a very fair price.

Last edited:

mswiggins

Threads
After struggling a few years with my HRR216, I think I am ready to call it a lost cause.
I replaced the plastic bushings with the bronze bushings, but it still chews up pinion gears and I have to work on it about once every 6 weeks. My grass is thick and it pulls to one side and has reduced pulling power. I basically am pushing it along.
My grass cutting season is about 8-9 months and I a tired of working on it 4-5 times to keep the self propelled working.

What is the ultimate opinion on the HRN models? Will they give me more reliable performance? Should I look at another manufacturer (Toro)? My grass is so thick I am not sure I am ready for a battery mower.

Last edited:

Briantii

Threads
After struggling a few years with my HRR216, I think I am ready to call it a lost cause.
I replaced the plastic bushings with the bronze bushings, but it still chews up pinion gears and I have to work on it about once every 6 weeks. My grass is thick and it pulls to one side and has reduced pulling power. I basically am pushing it along.
My grass cutting season is about 8-9 months and I a tired of working on it 4-5 times to keep the self propelled working.

What is the ultimate opinion on the HRN models? Will they give me more reliable performance? Should I look at another manufacturer (Toro)? My grass is so think I am not sure I am ready for a battery mower.

I’m not sure on the HRN for you. It doesn’t use the same design, but looking at the maintenance manual it still has pinion gears that are actually more complicated - that’s how they get the bushings and driveshaft out of the equation when pulling backwards.

Ive never had wear issues with the pinion gears. My 11 year old HRR had the original gears and ratcheting keys with little or no signs of wear. I’m pretty sure all designs will have some sort of gear there to engage the wheel. I wonder if you have a bent adjuster or damaged deck causing things to be out of alignment and wear out prematurely. Those gears should last a while IMHO.

So far zero problems with my HRX217HYA (2 years old) or HRN216VKA (2 months old). Both have only had air filter cleaning and oil changes and one very minor cable adjustment on the HRX to get the hydrostatic trans running at the correct top speed. Been very happy with both and have not even pulled a wheel off either yet.

Toro might be a path, but I think they use plastic transmissions on the home owner units and that personal pace thing seems weird to me. Some swear the system works great so I won’t knock it. I am skeptical though.

If you really need hardcore maybe go with a commercial unit. This Toro always seemed like a great option to me and I was really tempted, but the price was a turnoff along with the extra weight.

mswiggins

Threads
Something could be bent with the adjuster or deck. That would make more sense.
The right side from the rear is usually the problem child. It chews up pinion gears and soon the mower is pushing to the right like the left side is pushing the mower more.

My back yard used to have a fall off and lots of trees and roots by a canal. I wonder if I bent something in that area. That area has been leveled out. So it makes the mowing much easier and flatter.

I had the mower about 1.5 years before it gave me any trouble. Then it was pulling to the right and the wheels locked up pulling back. I took it to the authorized repair shop thinking it was under warranty. They said I had not lubricated it as I should have so about $150 later it was repaired and working well. But the pull to the right and eating of the pinion gears returned. I have fought that for about 4 years now.

I have taken the whole drive apart. Cleaned and sandpapered the drive shafts, changed parts and lubricated everything and put it all back together. The mower would then have great pulling power like new, but it usually only lasts a few weeks or a couple of months. When it is at it worse, the rear wheels seem to have negative camber. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I will note that the mower when cold will pull pretty strong. But it seems to get weak as I cut. Maybe something heats up and causes friction. I am ready to try a different mower.

Briantii

Threads
Something could be bent with the adjuster or deck. That would make more sense.
The right side from the rear is usually the problem child. It chews up pinion gears and soon the mower is pushing to the right like the left side is pushing the mower more.

My back yard used to have a fall off and lots of trees and roots by a canal. I wonder if I bent something in that area. That area has been leveled out. So it makes the mowing much easier and flatter.

I had the mower about 1.5 years before it gave me any trouble. Then it was pulling to the right and the wheels locked up pulling back. I took it to the authorized repair shop thinking it was under warranty. They said I had not lubricated it as I should have so about $150 later it was repaired and working well. But the pull to the right and eating of the pinion gears returned. I have fought that for about 4 years now.

I have taken the whole drive apart. Cleaned and sandpapered the drive shafts, changed parts and lubricated everything and put it all back together. The mower would then have great pulling power like new, but it usually only lasts a few weeks or a couple of months. When it is at it worse, the rear wheels seem to have negative camber. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I will note that the mower when cold will pull pretty strong. But it seems to get weak as I cut. Maybe something heats up and causes friction. I am ready to try a different mower.
Have you ever replaced the rear wheels? Is it possible there is too much play in them allowing too much camber and interference with the pinions? Just throwing out ideas since you mentioned camber. You may also want to look for witness marks on the plastic wheel or anywhere else. That much drag is going to leave some evidence somewhere.

I hear you 100% on it “being time” and just being over it. That is exactly where I was when I got the HRX. Stupid seal had popped out and the bushing got all packed with dirt. At some point you just want to mow and not mess with the stupid thing anymore. I think the HRN is a MUCH better unit though some have said in real thick grass it can jam up the belt. That’s not something that’s a big risk for me, but is the only concern that I’ve heard (besides the obvious recall that is no longer a factor). Wish I could tell you a sure fire best option, but I’m very happy with my HRX and HRN. With that said I sure wouldn’t blame you for trying something else. I really have a love of with commercial grade yard equipment for home use - Stihl KM130r, BG86, and BR800C. I just couldn’t justify the mid 4 figure mower price, and my dealer didn’t have any in stock, but maybe should have. Like you though I was sick of problems and “new” sounded good.