Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
I have not replaced the wheels. The tread is pretty bald by now.
I have thought about just replacing everything in the drive one last time.
Everything except the axles. I might get a year or two out of that. But it would probably cost about $125 or more to do it.

I don't mind tinkering with the mower and trying to figure things out.

But I keep pouring money and more parts into it each year.
Life is too short to keep putting up with this.

civic

Threads
I have used the HRN for several mows. I'm here in Houston and we have had lots of rain this year. My lawn is thick. This mower so far has done a good job cutting, I feel the same as the HRR. It rolls way much easier especially backwards. Now the downside that I need to get use to. One, the handle bar height is a bit different nothing that I can't get used to, the high setting is a bit higher and the low setting is too low. I'm 5-7. The handle bar seems a bit longer and in tight places a bit hard to maneuver again something to get use to. The handle bar doesn't have the foam grip it is just metal. I placed a rubber foam pipe insulation over the handle bar and seems to works. I mulch 99% of the time and noticed a lot of grass more so that the HRN under the discharge guard, yes I have this in the mulch position. Last, this mower is a bit louder, not by much but it is.

Briantii

Threads
I have not replaced the wheels. The tread is pretty bald by now.
I have thought about just replacing everything in the drive one last time.
Everything except the axles. I might get a year or two out of that. But it would probably cost about $125 or more to do it.

I don't mind tinkering with the mower and trying to figure things out.

But I keep pouring money and more parts into it each year.
Life is too short to keep putting up with this.
Yep, I hear you. Parts prices have gone up too. Last time i bought a transmission for the HRR it was about $40. Now they are $70. Ugh.

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, if I limp the mower along and keep it "working". In a couple of years when I can ready for a new mower, will Honda even be an option other than used mower?

Briantii

Threads
Also, if I limp the mower along and keep it "working". In a couple of years when I can ready for a new mower, will Honda even be an option other than used mower?
No, they stopped manufacturing new ones in fall of 2023 for the US market. Something about regulations, profit margins, and electric mowers gaining popularity. Apparently they make a ton more money on side by side ATV's than they do $500 lawn mowers - go figure.

What you see now are the "left overs" which may not even last through this season. That's why I grabbed an HRN to go with my HRX. I truly didn't need it, but I love my gas mowers and Honda, besides the pull back issue (which is MUCH improved on the HRX and fixed on HRN), seems to work really well.

civic

Threads
No, they stopped manufacturing new ones in fall of 2023 for the US market. Something about regulations, profit margins, and electric mowers gaining popularity. Apparently they make a ton more money on side by side ATV's than they do $500 lawn mowers - go figure.

What you see now are the "left overs" which may not even last through this season. That's why I grabbed an HRN to go with my HRX. I truly didn't need it, but I love my gas mowers and Honda, besides the pull back issue (which is MUCH improved on the HRX and fixed on HRN), seems to work really well.
This is the main reason I bought the HRN, knowing in a few years the HRR will rust out or something big might happen. The HRR is a nice mower, I kinda wish I never sold it but I must look forward. At least I hope the pull backwards is totally solved. For $550 it beat buying an EGO for $700 and in a few years buying a $400 battery. Electric didn't make since to me. Sure no gas or oil and quiet. Maybe in 5 to 10 years Electric mowers will make sense. By then good luck in finding a Honda mower.

Briantii

Threads
Now the downside that I need to get use to. One, the handle bar height is a bit different nothing that I can't get used to, the high setting is a bit higher and the low setting is too low. I'm 5-7. The handle bar seems a bit longer and in tight places a bit hard to maneuver again something to get use to. <snip> Last, this mower is a bit louder, not by much but it is.

I hadn't noticed those differences myself. Be glad though you didn't go HRX because it's for sure about 10 inches longer than the HRN - I park mine facing into the wall next to each other and the HRX sticks out a lot further. I do think the HRX is a touch quieter, I assumed it was probably due to the composite deck.

civic

Threads
I hadn't noticed those differences myself. Be glad though you didn't go HRX because it's for sure about 10 inches longer than the HRN - I park mine facing into the wall next to each other and the HRX sticks out a lot further. I do think the HRX is a touch quieter, I assumed it was probably due to the composite deck.
I replaced the muffler which came with a spark arrestor on the HRR and it was much quieter then took the spark arrestor off to see the difference which it made it louder. The HRN spark arrestor is $27 the HRR spark arrestor is $4. The muffler assembly with spark arrestor for the HRN is $43 and the HRR is only $11. The HRN parts are a lot more expensive.

Briantii

Threads
I replaced the muffler which came with a spark arrestor on the HRR and it was much quieter then took the spark arrestor off to see the difference which it made it louder. The HRN spark arrestor is $27 the HRR spark arrestor is $4. The muffler assembly with spark arrestor for the HRN is $43 and the HRR is only $11. The HRN parts are a lot more expensive.
That's crazy on parts prices. I know even the HRR prices have gone up though. Last time I bought a transmission it was about $40 and now it looks like it's up to $70 for the HRR. At least there is a parts catalog and parts are available.... I guess?

civic

Threads
That's crazy on parts prices. I know even the HRR prices have gone up though. Last time I bought a transmission it was about $40 and now it looks like it's up to $70 for the HRR. At least there is a parts catalog and parts are available.... I guess?
I paid around $70 for a tranny about 2-3 years ago.