Can't get wheels off.

skillet

Threads
What I have done in the pass is take a very large dull chisel and hammer and go around the rim at the tire bead. They do make a specal chisel for this.

Thanks for the help, where might they sell a chisel like that?

silver1

Threads
Is there a way that y'all know of where I can just break the bead and take them off? Is it that hard to just replace them on the rim?

Have you ever replaced a bicycle tire? It is the same but the tractor tires are stronger. Most are 2 ply. They have tools to do the job.
You have rust. I had a tire shop replace some front tires and they did not clean the rims and they leaked. I had them do it again and they
had to clean the inside very well. They bent the rims the first time also. The rims are soft and can be bent very easily. I would cut them
off with a saw.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are called a bead breaker chisel. I don't own one but like I said I use a dull large chisel. To buy one I would try auto parts stores like NAPA, or
try Northern Tool Com., tractor supply com., look on E-bay, if you have a local tire shop that does truck or tractor tires maybe they will let you borrow or rent one from them.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. The rims are soft and can be bent very easily. I would cut them
off with a saw.

I really don't see how you would get to the tire bead with a saw with the tire on the rim? maybe a small cut off wheel ???? never tryed it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cut the bead cord like suggested, or use PB-Blaster and chisel/Large screwdriver... You will get the old tires off eventually... Be careful that you don't wreck the rim while doing that.
Once you have all the old tire pieces off and the rim cleaned up, you will be able to mount a new tire with very little problem.

Here is a YouTube clip... It's mounting a larger tire... but will be the same, just smaller tools.
Outside Semi Tire Repair - YouTube
:smile:KennyV

T J Blazek

Threads
Being that they are front tires; why can't you drop the front axle. That way you might be able to work with i easier; put it in a vise etc. You have to buy tires any way; take it there or trailer it. Might be easier. The smaller the tire the more trouble they are. Try a go cart tire..T

skillet

Threads
Being that they are front tires; why can't you drop the front axle. That way you might be able to work with i easier; put it in a vise etc. You have to buy tires any way; take it there or trailer it. Might be easier. The smaller the tire the more trouble they are. Try a go cart tire..T

They are actually the rear tires. I can get the front ones off no problem. Thanks

Buckshot 1

Threads
Thanks for all the help! I am planning on restoring the tractor to a certain point, (getting it moving and repainted) but don't have the equipment to press the bearings or to even cut those sorry lookin tires off.

As I can see it skillet just doesn't have the tools to do this. Yes this is how you or I would remove these wheels. Maybe bring it to a shop that has these tools?, rent tools, or buy tools. If you are going to restore tractors you will need some equipment to do so. getting it moving will take more then paint, these are just cold hard facts sorry.

:thumbsup: Reynoldston, very true in your post. The old adage of, bubble gum, baling wire, pair of pliers and a screwdriver, went out the door many moons ago. With out the proper equipment, you might as well poop in one hand and wish in the other and, see which one fills up fast. Sounds to me like a repaint resto. I am out of ideas, I give up.

skillet

Threads
I think I finally understand why they called it a basket case! I will try all y'all have told me to do this weekend. Thanks for all of the help!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sure hope I have never said it was a basket case. Not seeing the tractor in front of me I wouldn't know this. If all this tractor needs is a set of rear wheels
and tires I would think it is well worth repairing. Does it run? I also don't know your mechanical skills, your tools, equipment , place to work, or retired old man, a high school student. If all it needs is rear tires take it to a repair shop that can change them if you can't do it yourself. I have people bring me things all the time that they can't
repair themselves. Just why do you want this mower, to use or just to restore for something to do? Also what about money because maybe you would be
happier with a new mower?