Can't get wheels off.

skillet

Threads
I sure hope I have never said it was a basket case. Not seeing the tractor in front of me I wouldn't know this. If all this tractor needs is a set of rear wheels
and tires I would think it is well worth repairing. Does it run? I also don't know your mechanical skills, your tools, equipment , place to work, or retired old man, a high school student. If all it needs is rear tires take it to a repair shop that can change them if you can't do it yourself. I have people bring me things all the time that they can't
repair themselves. Just why do you want this mower, to use or just to restore for something to do? Also what about money because maybe you would be
happier with a new mower?

Oh no, it wasn't you! The tractor was actually my neighbors at one point in time, they brought it to the repair shop and they were told it was a "basket case" by the repairmen, for what reason I don't know. It then sat in the same spot at the equipment dealer for 5 years and wasn't for sale. I finally bought it for $75 bucks and was told if I can fix it, I'd have a job there. The funny thing is that the tractor technically was still my neighbors at the time, and they were never contacted about the sale. Oh well, it's a cool old tractor (1983) with a hydro. I have tried to start it, the starter works but I can't go any farther because of a bad fuel line leak. That's the story, hope you all enjoy it. Skillet

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I finally bought it for $75 bucks and was told if I can fix it, I'd have a job there. That is sure a odd way to hire someone at a equipment dealer. Just what would you be doing at this dealer? Just why would your neighbor leave his garden tractor at the dealers after he was told it wasn't repairable? If this tractor isn't repairable then it must need major work and I would run the other direction from this whole thing and keep my 75 dollars. It sounds to me like this dealer is giveing you a big story to get 75 dollars from you and something sure dosen't sound right here. You will be much better off finding employment else where because this dealer sound to me like a user.

Dan Gregory

Forum Newbie
Threads
This as a very common problem and I have run into many times. When these type wheels are installed for the first time, they should have been lubricated with anti-seize or at least grease, but the people installing them, nor the manufacturer ever thinks of this ( they don't give a #$^% ).
If the shaft has a square key, I have had to drill it out with a long skinny drill. In some cases I drilled new "keyways". This will allow you to get penetrating oil deeper into the joint.
Another trick is to drill holes in the wheel hub, down to the axle and install grease zerks ( I have had to TIG weld them in place ). This will allow you to pump lubricant in under pressure, but will require you to apply heat to make the grease thinner.
Another trick is to put a piece of rubber hose over the hub with a hose clamp to seal it and hold it in place, Put a bunch of penetrating oil inside the hose, then put a cap on the hose with an air fitting. Use compressed air to force the oil into the joint. ( be careful not to blow the hose off the hub with too much pressure.
You may have to do all of the above in combination, and frankly, there's a good chance you may never get them off.
Take a look at the axle assembly and try to determine if it would be at all possible to remove the axle or each half of the axle ( even if this means disassembling the rear differential ), so that the wheels and shafts could be put in a press to force the shaft out. This will require a set up which will support the hub directly around the shaft while pressing. Don't even think about supporting the load with the flimsy sheet metal rim.
I can hear you cussing out the manufacturer already, as I have many times.

Good luck.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This as a very common problem and I have run into many times. When these type wheels are installed for the first time, they should have been lubricated with anti-seize or at least grease, but the people installing them, nor the manufacturer ever thinks of this ( they don't give a #$^% ).
If the shaft has a square key, I have had to drill it out with a long skinny drill. In some cases I drilled new "keyways". This will allow you to get penetrating oil deeper into the joint.
Another trick is to drill holes in the wheel hub, down to the axle and install grease zerks ( I have had to TIG weld them in place ). This will allow you to pump lubricant in under pressure, but will require you to apply heat to make the grease thinner.
Another trick is to put a piece of rubber hose over the hub with a hose clamp to seal it and hold it in place, Put a bunch of penetrating oil inside the hose, then put a cap on the hose with an air fitting. Use compressed air to force the oil into the joint. ( be careful not to blow the hose off the hub with too much pressure.
You may have to do all of the above in combination, and frankly, there's a good chance you may never get them off.
Take a look at the axle assembly and try to determine if it would be at all possible to remove the axle or each half of the axle ( even if this means disassembling the rear differential ), so that the wheels and shafts could be put in a press to force the shaft out. This will require a set up which will support the hub directly around the shaft while pressing. Don't even think about supporting the load with the flimsy sheet metal rim.
I can hear you cussing out the manufacturer already, as I have many times.

Good luck.

Sound like you have a well equipped shop. Sent some pictures of it.

Dan Gregory

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey reynoldston,

I do have a lot of equipment and most of it I rarely use, but it sure comes in handy when you need it. I started out fixing mowers and stuff around the house when I was a kid, then worked for some small engine shops and now I am a self employed fabricator/machinist/machine builder, with my own shop. The one thing I still enjoy though, is working on lawn and garden equipment.

You might find this hard to believe, but I just finished, (before sitting down to write this email), pressing out axle shafts from the wheels of a Troy-Bilt sickle bar mower. After a week of soaking them with penetrating oil, I still had to cut the axle in half (solid axle) in order to remove the wheels and then put them in my 25 ton press. It took 20 tons of force and heating the wheel hub with a cutting torch to break one of them free. I will drill and pin the shaft in my lathe and then weld the shaft back together and straighten it in the press before reinstalling it.

All this because of a flat tire and the manufacturer doesn't think 5 cents worth of grease on the axles is worth doing at assembly.

Good thing I do this for fun because there's no way you could charge someone enough to make money at it.

Dan

Last edited: