California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

gamma_ray

Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
I gather battery operated grass trimmers, chainsaws, etc... will have a boost in sales. I would like to now which battery operated tools will become more popular with professional lawn care business. I haven't had much success at finding reviews and comparisons between different makes. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a few Li-ion battery powered items: A string trimmer and 21" push mower, both 80v and batteries interchangeable between both. Also a 14" chainsaw with a 40v battery. I'm happy with them except the face that Lowes (they're the Kobalt brand) likes to make things obsolete after a short time.

I'm not necessarily a "green" person, I also have gasoline-powered mowers, but it's really nice to just press a button/squeeze a trigger, and it whirrs away doing its thing!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
@gamma_ray Lowes with Kobalt isn't the only brand that does that. You can add Snapper, Greenworks, Husqvarna, to that list also.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no arguement that for infrequently used household tools battery powered ones are very convienant .
have no problems when told some one bought one because they found them more convienent.
In fact I have advised quite a few of my customers to buy battery powered gear for one reason or another.

The MASSIVE objection comes from those who buy them for the reason of virtue signaling telling all & sundry how THEY are saving the planet.
The truth of the matter is the use of battery powered tools causes a substantial increase in the overall amount of pollution on a global basis
So while you might get clearer sunnier skys in California, eventually the pollution from China Chille Indonesia Brazil etc etc will drift across them because there are no border walls for the atmosphere , unless of course Mr Trump is relected in which case he will of course build them and make some one else pay .

There is a big difference between doing some thing to benefit the environment and beeing seen to do something that you say will benefit but actually will do the opposite.
Add to that the fact that even where it is physically possible to recycle the old batteries, it is not and never will be economical to do so.
Thus California will export all of the old dead batteries to some third world country for unsafe disposal killing thousands as is currently done with most of the e-waste from the nice clean technology companies based in California.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
While most folks in most countries like to feel they are somhow doing whatever they do better than other countries and we love the global blame game. I think we need to rename California from the sunshine state to the virtue signaling state.

gamma_ray

Threads
@gamma_ray Lowes with Kobalt isn't the only brand that does that. You can add Snapper, Greenworks, Husqvarna, to that list also.
I just stated what I personally own, and my experience with them. I believe the same Kobalt line is also manufactured for another name/color.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I was working San Francisco working on the new round Apple buildin a couple of years ago and I decided to buy a Gold Wing so I could go riding on weekends and get through the traffic going to and from work.

I went to register it and it hadn't been registered for like 4 years. They wanted ME to pay the registration fees and taxes on it so I could ride it. I told them I wasn't going to ride it, I was just going to take it back to Washington State where home is and haul it there in the back of my pickup truck.

Took it home to Washington, registered it at the DMV for one year and rode it all over..

Imaine the taxes and fees they get for old trucks parked out in fields?? Nobody will buy them because of all the taxes and fees..

I got out of that Apple job as fast as I could. It wasn't worth the money living in my RV there.

BudLight

Threads
Cali is doing the same with trucks. You can’t use any freight hauling truck older than 2011 without extensive modifications. A sliding scale on age of trucks until 2035 when all diesel and gas trucks are completely banned, electric only. I’m not sure what the people in that state are going to do but I’m sure it will involve everyone else in the US providing some type of expensive bailout.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Want to pizz off a tree hugger? Explain to them how the electricity to charge their oh so environmentally friendly battery powered lawn mower is generated by burning some type of fossil fuel. The main power plant feeding LA is a huge coal fired plant in Delta Utah.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have relatives moving out of Cali. had enough, & they were born there..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Want to pizz off a tree hugger? Explain to them how the electricity to charge their oh so environmentally friendly battery powered lawn mower is generated by burning some type of fossil fuel. The main power plant feeding LA is a huge coal fired plant in Delta Utah.
Exactly
SO the pollution is happening some where else so it does not exist !!!