California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

whitejww

Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
You can say what you want but I live on the completely opposite coast! I am f#$&*ing tired of buying CA compliant power equipment when I don’t live there. Let the granola eaters out there deal with their own carburetor issues without dragging me down with them. I am getting really tired of making stuff NON CA compliant by drilling bigger holes in jets ?. Do they think everyone in CA is is completely stupid And not doing the same thing?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
@PTmowerMech The thing is as of right now even if you diagnose the issue you cannot do the repairs. The new Briggs power packs require the unit to be shipped back to Briggs for repairs if you get a hard fault code. A lot of companies don't want techs poking around with their battery systems due to possibly damaging the unit or being injured. So unless things change there may not be a lot of repairs we can make.

The warranties won't last forever. Or is this mandated on Briggs engines that are out of warranty too?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can say what you want but I live on the completely opposite coast! I am f#$&*ing tired of buying CA compliant power equipment when I don’t live there. Let the granola eaters out there deal with their own carburetor issues without dragging me down with them. I am getting really tired of making stuff NON CA compliant by drilling bigger holes in jets ?. Do they think everyone in CA is is completely stupid And not doing the same thing?

That's something you should complain to the manufacturer about. Or the customers who buy from the big box stores.
I imagine MTD don't really care if all their stuff is CA compliant. In fact, they probably save money by just making one product, with as many of the same parts (especially engines), with the same specs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The warranties won't last forever. Or is this mandated on Briggs engines that are out of warranty too?
I think that will be dependent on if Briggs has parts to do the repairs on their power cells. I suspect parts will be limited. And any major component failure will result in complete unit replacement due to cost.

And I have said it before, but manufacturers will need to standardize their products and make new technology compatible with old technology. So we need to get away from this week we will use 24 volt batteries, and next week is 36 volt batteries, and the 24 volt batteries have been discontinued in some cases before the warranty is even up. My biggest fear is we will be replacing complete pieces of equipment every few years because the battery has gone bad and either is too expensive to replace or may not be even available. Unless things improve expect to be throwing away a trimmer every couple years to replace it with something new.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can only imagine, that for a very long time, there will still be standard, run of the mill mowers and engines. The sales market will dictate it. Seriously, if the riders at Walmart, Home Depot and the others are all $5K, there will be a HUGE market for used mowers.
Just like pre EGR diesels in semi trucks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think that will be dependent on if Briggs has parts to do the repairs on their power cells. I suspect parts will be limited. And any major component failure will result in complete unit replacement due to cost.

And I have said it before, but manufacturers will need to standardize their products and make new technology compatible with old technology. So we need to get away from this week we will use 24 volt batteries, and next week is 36 volt batteries, and the 24 volt batteries have been discontinued in some cases before the warranty is even up. My biggest fear is we will be replacing complete pieces of equipment every few years because the battery has gone bad and either is too expensive to replace or may not be even available. Unless things improve expect to be throwing away a trimmer every couple years to replace it with something new.
As all of the individual cells come from China & can be bought off Made in China for a tiny fraction of the actual power pack then hopefully repacked batteries will become a big thing
I still use my old WallStreet & Pismo laptops because I can still buy repacks for them or if I feel inclined buy the cells & repack myself .
Fairly sure the mod I use sends them to a 3rd world country to get done ( Indonesia most likely ) but at $ 95 for the NiCd Wallstreet & $ 120 for the Li I Pismo I don't really care

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The game will interesting between the manufacturers and the aftermarket. Manufacturers will do their best to make everything proprietary with software and as the aftermarket hacks they will go to licensing the software to enable your equipment to run. Expired or invalid license and you have a paper weight. Forget changing motors and boards. Welcome to the brave new world.

S854

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no sympathy for California. If their taxes to go to 100% so be it. Everyone is entitled to their politics and to vote for who they want. If your candidate does stupid stuff don't complain to me.

The problem with this is the federal tax deduction for SALT (State And Local Taxes)… States with high tax rates don’t care… their residents just deduct what they pay on their federal tax return… which lowers their tax liability… the feds want their money so it looks to states with more fiscal responsibility to make up the difference…

Basically anyone who pays federal income tax is paying a portion of California’s (and New York’s, and Massachusetts, and Illinois…etc etc etc) taxes…

Ranchito

Threads
Going to be interesting when a storm rolls through, trees all over the roads, power out and all the electric chain saws have dead batteries. What are all the lawn service folks going to do, aren’t any electric mowers that will run all day.
No problem, just fire up the battery powered generator to charge those batteries. No? I see a business opportunity building a battery trailer for ZTR mowers. Sheesh, glad I'm in Florida